Oil Blowback - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

Bad Disposition wants to know Dino or Syn?
TX,

I'm hoping it is just a billing issue. I'll find out soon. It's being watched, and being rode. I put a few more on it this after noon, after the last post, still no more evident leaks.

It feels good on the road, it's very strong, no flats spots, no pinging. I do need the TTS and re tune, there is some hi compression popping, it's really heard during while slowing down. One of the fastest and strongest engines I ever had the pleasure of playing with.

BD.
Bad Disposition is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 05:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

FLTRSE3CLONE wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've saw some long consistent speeds of 70+ and have some blow by come out the bottom of the filter. My buddys 117 riding the snot out of it will blow back on the bags as well but nothing major just enough to piss ya off.
11 fltruse FBI wheels& hidden axle 574 Fuelling cams & lifters.J&M rocker series speakers & amp,RC open a/c RB Racing 2-1 spyder , Aim-vpc92, SE 58mm TB, HPI 5.3 inj,tuned by strokerjlk 112.76/118.99 sae
115.42/121.85 std
FLTRSE3CLONE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Meehaw

rubber man wants to know Dino or Syn?
When I switched from dino to Mobil 1 V Twin synthetic it stopped the blow by. I thought it would get worse with the synthetic.

Semper Fi
rubber man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 11:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

Looks like the blow back stopped however, while standing behind it and while gunning the throttle at a stand still, I noticed a minor blast of black smoke emitting from the exhaust. It only happen when the engine is throttled There is also a large amount of carbon within the new muffler only a short time.

TOMORROW MORNING, BACK TO THE SHOP IT GOES. It will not be a good morning for them at all. Looks like the 75W90 took its toll after all.

I am F'N PISSED! I'll demand that the heads and cylinders will come off, cylinders will be re-worked new rings will be installed or else its law suit time!
Old 04-05-2011, 12:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
Premium Member

HRLYDeuce wants to know Dino or Syn?
BD,

Don't go into the shop tomorrow with an attitude or chip on your shoulder the first thing in the morning.........go into the shop smiling, as if there is nothing wrong with your bike or build, then ask a multitude of questions concerning your problems and re-affirm all the builders answers!

Now........ if the shop's answers does nothing to correct or rectify your problems, and they seem way LESS than totallybeing honest, (your still feeling that sharp poke between the butt cracks) or if you have feeling a coverup is taking is in the works, then hit them right between the eyes about everything you've had to fix, endure, or correct, to make there fckups go away, and do not let up until you've reached a fair settlement as to what needs to be done in order to make you one happy camper once again!!!

2006 Electra Glide Classic
HRLYDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 12:34 AM   #21 (permalink)

OIL Blow Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRLYDeuce View Post
BD,

Don't go into the shop tomorrow with an attitude or chip on your shoulder the first thing in the morning.........go into the shop smiling, as if there is nothing wrong with your bike or build, then ask a multitude of questions concerning your problems and re-affirm all the builders answers!

Now........ if the shop's answers does nothing to correct or rectify your problems, and they seem way LESS than totallybeing honest, (your still feeling that sharp poke between the butt cracks) or if you have feeling a coverup is taking is in the works, then hit them right between the eyes about everything you've had to fix, endure, or correct, to make there fckups go away, and do not let up until you've reached a fair settlement as to what needs to be done in order to make you one happy camper once again!!!
exactly what i intended on doing. displayoing anger get one no where. The've been good up to this point, have stood behind their work in the past, and promissed to do so with this build. This is just a total drag to have to go through this crap. It's almost riding season.

You would think they would get tired of seeing me and get it done right the first time around. I can be a very tactful, slow suttle pain in the ass....and do not mind being like that at all. I've paid those guys to much money not very long ago, and this should not have happend period.

BD.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:45 AM   #22 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
A little black smoke could mean it's a tad rich, maybe nothing to worry about. 75W90 is thick but so is 50 wt motor oil. I wouldn't go in the shop and raise hell. If the carbon buildup is concerning you, ask 'em about that. Other than that, keep the oil level about a half quart low on the dip stick with a warm motor and see how it does. You may not have a problem.
Uncle Salty is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 01:34 AM   #23 (permalink)

Acknowledged, all things will be taken into account and considered.

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

C-Cat wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've had some leakage from my 96 stage 1, my 103, and my 124 also. Sometimes it doesn't do it for 2 or 3 rides, although I do get some now and then. It's usually drips out of small filter (doherety Power Pac) I have below the air filter down on the engine case and I may also get a few splatters on my rear exhaust shield. I just clean it up when I see it. Not too much of a bother, as I try not to be obsessive over minor issues. I'd keep driving it to ensure the rings are seated and then do a leak down. I also run my oil a 1/2 quart low and use VR1 50 weight dino oil that is inexpensive and available at auto zone. You can see the small filter if you look closely at my avitar, or on my profile. If it leaked enough to get al over the bike I'd run some lines to a catch can like TX Chop suggested.

124 ci. 07 Streetbob
107ci. 2011 RGC

Last edited by C-Cat; 04-05-2011 at 04:57 AM.
C-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 07:48 AM   #25 (permalink)

Thanks Carl,

The blowback stopped, my concern is now that if they did installed 75W90 oil in the crank, and now that it is blowing a small amout of black smoke, out of the pipe. there might have been damage done. It was not doing that prior to the discovery of the thick and dark oil in the crank, and after changing it back to 20/50.

As another other said, there is a chance it might still be a little rich, however i had not notice the smoke in the past, and I've only ridden it maybe 50 miles since the last tune and alleged oil change. I'll talk with the builder later on this a.m. I'll find out what's going on.

Sorry guys, just venting.

BD.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #26 (permalink)
IronButt

brother wants to know Dino or Syn?
My 06 EGC hada big sucker on it and blew oil out at high speeds on the side cover front of saddle bag and on top of cam cover. I put a screaming eagle backing plate with the rubber oil tubes and it hasn't leaked a drop since.
brother is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #27 (permalink)
Livin' Free Indeed

AzFAL wants to know Dino or Syn?
When you guys are saying run 1/2 quart low are talking 1/2 a quart below the Full mark?

2002 Dyna
117" GMR built
S&S cyl./piston kit
R&R 615/585 cam
10.3:1 CR
GMR CNC heads
45 Mikuni
Fat Cat
DTT ign
AzFAL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

A little black smoke when you whack the throttle isn't unusual.

124 ci. 07 Streetbob
107ci. 2011 RGC
Old 04-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFAL View Post
When you guys are saying run 1/2 quart low are talking 1/2 a quart below the Full mark?
That's what I meant.

124 ci. 07 Streetbob
107ci. 2011 RGC
Old 04-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

WikkedWorkshop wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother View Post
My 06 EGC hada big sucker on it and blew oil out at high speeds on the side cover front of saddle bag and on top of cam cover. I put a screaming eagle backing plate with the rubber oil tubes and it hasn't leaked a drop since.
thats because the "tubes" dumb it all back through your throttle body and manifold and valves...
WikkedWorkshop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.