MMEFI to carb swap harness help : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

dannycalderone wants to know Dino or Syn?
MMEFI to carb swap harness help

Hey Guys, I was hoping you could help steer me in the right direction on my 99 RK carb swap from MMFI. I have all the parts from the list (got them from a member here) I just wanted to know how much of the original harness / ECM gets removed? I have the tank off and started to remove the injection portion of the harness, but I don't really see where the injection harness would be seperated from the main harness. I only had 5-10 minutes to look at it before leaving town for work again. Any insight you have would be a great help, thanks in advance.
Danny
dannycalderone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannycalderone View Post
Hey Guys, I was hoping you could help steer me in the right direction on my 99 RK carb swap from MMFI. I have all the parts from the list (got them from a member here) I just wanted to know how much of the original harness / ECM gets removed? I have the tank off and started to remove the injection portion of the harness, but I don't really see where the injection harness would be seperated from the main harness. I only had 5-10 minutes to look at it before leaving town for work again. Any insight you have would be a great help, thanks in advance.
Danny
PM sent. Follow the EFI/ECM harness up, it will have a large plug at end. If you haven't done it also remove the battery. There is a lot of wiring, but really just be methodical and when i had my bike down that far (and further) it was a good time to clean the hell out of everything. Furthermore, its also a good idea to have a factory parts & service manual (with schematic) on hand. I did my bike by myself and i'm an art guy, not a mechanic. The satisfaction gained when bike fired IMMEDIATELY was immense.
Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway
1bdBagr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Got it, thanks bud. I'll have to take a look at it when I get home Thursday night. In the few minutes I had to look at it it didnt look like their was a connector in the harness anywhere to unplug the part of the original harness that includes the ECM plug. The fuel pump relay is eliminated as well as the part of the harness at the throttle body that includes the IAC motor I would imagine? Also, with the relocation of the baro/map sensor to the intake wouldn't there be an addition to the harness up there? It will probably work itself out when I have more than 5 minutes to look at it, just want to cover my bases.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
ESS
Seasoned Rider

ESS wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannycalderone View Post
Also, with the relocation of the baro/map sensor to the intake wouldn't there be an addition to the harness up there?
The plug for the MAP sensor should be on the new ignition harness you bought. part# 32435-00 It's the other plug next to the coil plug on the new harness.
ESS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

32435-00 is the harness I bought as part of a package from a member here. I haven't even opened the box yet, Is there 2 seperate harness' in that part number box? One for the ign mod and one for up at the manifold?
Old 03-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
ESS
Seasoned Rider

ESS wants to know Dino or Syn?
No, it's only one harness with everything you need.
ESS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

10-4, thanks. Looking forward to getting on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.