Cam tensioner and cam replacement : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

6shootr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cam tensioner and cam replacement

I have a 2003 FLHRI Road King. 27,000 miles on stock Tc88 with V&H Big Radius 2+2, Stage 1 intake and powercommander III with Fuelmoto tune. I may want to go 95 kit further down the road but not right now. I ride single 75% of the time with girlfriend riding with the other 25%. Bike has been trouble free since I bought it. The only reason for cam change is the troublesome stock tensioners. Here is what I've asked the quote to include.

(1) 25284-08 Kit, Hydraulic Cam plate $429.99
(1) 25149-00 SE 204 Cam Kit $299.99
(1) 17045-99B Gasket Kit, Cam Service $47.99
(4) 18538-99B Tappet Lifter $29.99
(1) 25285-08 Kit, Cam Spacers $17.99
(1) 24017-10 Kit, Cam Bearing Asy, TC88 $14.99
(1) 25533-99A Cam Drive Gear Retention $6.99
Total Parts Rounded = $940.00

(1) Lot Install Labor Rounded = $500.00
Labor covers the reuse of the stock pushrods.

Approx. $1,400.00 total.

I have read everything this forum has to offer on cams, cam tensioners, cam plates, etc. I have really trusted the expertise of this forum for help on other projects over the years. Everything from grip and switch housings to wiring. I know there might be better cams out there but have dealer money to use and want a reliable ride in the end.

I'm close to biting the bullet on this and have a few questions for the people on here.

1) Is this considered a fair dealer installed price? I don't have a press or way of dealing with the bearings.

2) Can I get by with a map by Fuelmoto or can the price for the dynotune be justified? Dyno tune would cost an additional $350.00.

3) Without cost differences in labor vs equipment, what are the pro's and con's of stock vs adjustable pushrods?

Thanks to everyone in advance.
6shootr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

rcsoftail wants to know Dino or Syn?
Andrews sells a kit for roughly the same price, but also includes a new oil pump. Roughly $800 plus lifters.
http://www.andrewsproducts.com/PDF_f...onCams-pg5.pdf
http://www.andrewsproducts.com/PDF_f...009-retail.pdf
rcsoftail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

road_king wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsoftail View Post
Andrews sells a kit for roughly the same price, but also includes a new oil pump. Roughly $800 plus lifters.
25284-08 Screamin' EagleŽ Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner Plate Upgrade Kit comes with an improved late-model Twin Cam 96 oil pump
road_king is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

rcsoftail wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_king View Post
25284-08 Screamin' EagleŽ Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner Plate Upgrade Kit comes with an improved late-model Twin Cam 96 oil pump
Didn't know that. That would put the price on par. Today wasn't a loss, I learned something...
rcsoftail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Axe Man

BVBOB wants to know Dino or Syn?
A new product that replaces the tensioner shoe only is due for release VERY soon, they are claimed to be molded from a plastic that will last 5 times that of the originals, this will be VERY affordable.
If you have your heart set on a hydraulic upgrade then you need to contact forum member Herko for the best price and definitely the best service on a complete conversion kit.
Keep in mind that even the new hydraulic tensioner units are not bullet proof and eventually will need service, I have seen them fail prematurely as well.
553 bd cams
Power duals with re-core cvo
Welded crank

1982 FXRS
new paint
new tires
new brakes
new clutch
Soon to be back on the road

Being honest may not make you a lot of friends but it will always make you the right ones.
BVBOB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

pigrider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVBOB View Post
A new product that replaces the tensioner shoe only is due for release VERY soon, they are claimed to be molded from a plastic that will last 5 times that of the originals, this will be VERY affordable.
If you have your heart set on a hydraulic upgrade then you need to contact forum member Herko for the best price and definitely the best service on a complete conversion kit.
Keep in mind that even the new hydraulic tensioner units are not bullet proof and eventually will need service, I have seen them fail prematurely as well.
This is the first I've heard about the new stock replacements, are they a HD part or aftermarket? My shoes look good right now but figure this coming winter I'll do the cam chest thing and just trying to get my mind right as to exactly what I want to do and how much it's going to cost. Been trying to figure out if I just want to replace stock shoes or do what I really should do and replace the cam bearings while I'm there or just go all the way and do gears as long as crank runout is ok. Just trying to figure cost vs rewards so I can start puttin the money back so that it's paid for before I start tearing it apart.
pigrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Axe Man

The shoes are aftermarket, shoe only replacement. Hope to have them here soon.
553 bd cams
Welded crank

1982 FXRS
new paint
new tires
new brakes
new clutch

Being honest may not make you a lot of friends but it will always make you the right ones.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

pigrider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
The shoes are aftermarket, shoe only replacement. Hope to have them here soon.
Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind. Right now I'm going back and forth from one extreme to the other, either do just exactly what needs to be done or while it's apart do it all and be happy. The only problem is to do it all and be happy it's probably going to be in the nighborhood of $2000 by the time I add a set of mild cams and some type of fuel management. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions
pigrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

hugie03flhr wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just did cams in my brothers bike that wasn't taken care of very well and the inner chain tensioner was worn after 7000 miles. I'm a true believer in synthetic oil so when I installed the new cams TW50 that are a little larger than what you want, I went with the stock set up. Just replaced the bad tensioner and add shims to the oil pump relief valve with synthetic oil.
So what I'm gettin at is your spending a lot of money for a very minor engine improvement. Just swap the cams with an install kit, new tensioners, an oil pump spring and synthetic oil(as long as no leaks appear) With labor I'm sure you would be under $1000
hugie03flhr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Big-G wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hey BVBOB, let us know when these new replacements are available.

2009 Ultra 103
Big-G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Basic Hog Rider

xxxxxkwizard wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6shootr View Post
I have a 2003 FLHRI Road King. 27,000 miles on stock Tc88 with V&H Big Radius 2+2, Stage 1 intake and powercommander III with Fuelmoto tune. I may want to go 95 kit further down the road but not right now. I ride single 75% of the time with girlfriend riding with the other 25%. Bike has been trouble free since I bought it. The only reason for cam change is the troublesome stock tensioners. Here is what I've asked the quote to include.

(1) 25284-08 Kit, Hydraulic Cam plate $429.99
(1) 25149-00 SE 204 Cam Kit $299.99
(1) 17045-99B Gasket Kit, Cam Service $47.99
(4) 18538-99B Tappet Lifter $29.99
(1) 25285-08 Kit, Cam Spacers $17.99
(1) 24017-10 Kit, Cam Bearing Asy, TC88 $14.99
(1) 25533-99A Cam Drive Gear Retention $6.99
Total Parts Rounded = $940.00

(1) Lot Install Labor Rounded = $500.00
Labor covers the reuse of the stock pushrods.

Approx. $1,400.00 total.

I have read everything this forum has to offer on cams, cam tensioners, cam plates, etc. I have really trusted the expertise of this forum for help on other projects over the years. Everything from grip and switch housings to wiring. I know there might be better cams out there but have dealer money to use and want a reliable ride in the end.

I'm close to biting the bullet on this and have a few questions for the people on here.

1) Is this considered a fair dealer installed price? I don't have a press or way of dealing with the bearings.

2) Can I get by with a map by Fuelmoto or can the price for the dynotune be justified? Dyno tune would cost an additional $350.00.

3) Without cost differences in labor vs equipment, what are the pro's and con's of stock vs adjustable pushrods?

Thanks to everyone in advance.
6sootr, Let me give you my 2 cents and try to answer your questions.

1) Prices vary by region, but a complete camchest overhaul with all new parts should run $1000-$1500. I went with the SE kit that road_king mentioned, the new oil pump has better scavanging, a definite plus. Don't forget to replace inner cam bearings with Torrington's. I would recommend Andrew's 21, 26 or 37 cams depending on where in the rpm range you want the extra kick and how high a compression you might want to run in the future.

2) If your on a budget like me, I would hold off on the dyno tune and run a canned map. Invest in the tune when you do the 95" kit.

3) I like the idea of adjustable pushrods. Makes it easier to change cams, and allows for an exact adjustment. The down side is if a locknut vibrates loose it can caused a "corrupt pushrod". I personally have not encountered anyone that has had that happen, but it is a possibility.
xxxxxkwizard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Axe Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-G View Post
Hey BVBOB, let us know when these new replacements are available.
I got the shoes today, will rivet a set on and see what happens next.
553 bd cams
Welded crank

1982 FXRS
new paint
new tires
new brakes
new clutch

Old 03-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

prodrag1320 wants to know Dino or Syn?
ide go with a gear drive set up,no tensioners(new or old design)no problems,no brainer
prodrag1320 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 06:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
FNG :)

Renny_ wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
A new product that replaces the tensioner shoe only is due for release VERY soon, they are claimed to be molded from a plastic that will last 5 times that of the originals, this will be VERY affordable. .
Have not heard of these 'shoes' before. Who sells them?

Looking at just replacing my shoes (2005 FLSTF). As now there are no 'kits' sold that I can ascertain.
Renny_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 07:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Armin wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hi Renny, you probably look for this:

http://www.harleydavidsontensioner.com/

Armin.

2001 FLSTCI
Heads ported and 95 CI BB by BigBoyz
48mm throttle body reworked by HorsePowerInc
Wood's TW6G cams
Armin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.