copensator sprocket : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

107cihog wants to know Dino or Syn?
copensator sprocket

Helo all i have read that some people are changing there drive sprocket to a 30 tooth on the six speeds along with a shorter belt. it seems to have a possitive result other than the speedo and 6th gear light. I do have the TTS and know i can calibrate all of that. My question is dose anyone know if anyone sales a SE style compensator with a gear with less teeth. Being said i beleve it would be less expensive and being that the change was done before the transmission where the sensor is located than one would not have to worry about any speedo problems or calibraiting. Or am i just full of it. Any help in this matter would be appreciated
107cihog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

qtrracer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Evo Industries

They have a 30 tooth engine sprocket(no comp) available, it comes with the proper chain. Also available is a 49 tooth clutch sprocket, it too comes with the proper chain. The 49 tooth clutch sprocket raises the revs almost exactly the same as the 30 trans pulley. The 30 engine sprocket raises the revs higher than the 49t clutch sprocket.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

rob71458 wants to know Dino or Syn?
None that I know of, but Evolution Industries offers a 49 tooth clutch basket sprocket that will "lower" your gearing as well. Oh Hell GT beat me to it.
07' FLHRSE3 124", Paul Matyka ported SE110 heads, S&S pistons/cylinders,11.5 cr, 58/62 HPI TB, 640G's, Bandit clutch, Baker DD7, IDS, 2.79 gearing, Stock Compensator, D@D Borzilla QB, K&P oil filter, Jagg ten row oil cooler, Big Sky oil cooler fans, Lenale fan, Redline oils, TWR stabilizer, Glide Pro mount. Big Boyz Tune.

Last edited by rob71458; 02-28-2011 at 08:53 PM.
rob71458 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
They have a 30 tooth engine sprocket(no comp) available, it comes with the proper chain. Also available is a 49 tooth clutch sprocket, it too comes with the proper chain. The 49 tooth clutch sprocket raises the revs almost exactly the same as the 30 trans pulley. The 30 engine sprocket raises the revs higher than the 49t clutch sprocket.
Thanks for your info how many teeth are on a stock clutch sprocket and if you don't mind me asking who is they? Got it took a min.

Last edited by 107cihog; 02-28-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

qtrracer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 107cihog View Post
Thanks for your info how many teeth are on a stock clutch sprocket and if you don't mind me asking who is they?
Look at my title on my post for the "they" and the stock touring 6speed clutch sprocket is a 46t. The sprocket is available 3 ways, 1. by itself with bolts to attach it to your existing clutch basket, 2. a 2 piece unit, a billet clutch basket with the sprocket already bolted on, 3. a 1 piece unit, a billet clutch basket with a 49t sprocket machined into the aluminum. All 3 come with the correct chain.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

CowboyTutt wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm running a 30 tooth engine sprocket/chain kit from Monty Heath Products that eliminates the compensator. Our local tuner in Ukiah, John Brown, helped develope this kit. Basically what I have been told by my engine head builder Earl Burley, tuner John Brown and Monty Heath who builds the kit to use the stock chain tensioner is that the 30 tooth sprocket increases RPM by 500 total (125 per tooth) and works fine without a compensator as long as the crank is trued. I have 500 miles on my new engine in my 09 Dyna Street Bob and can't say I notice anymore vibration because of it. Sixth gear is much more usable now, especially with my S&S 585 Easy Start cam and 10.5-1 CP pistons. I can shift into 6th about 70 mph and its really on the cam at 80 mph. How fast you planning on cruising? Match the gearing to your build and you will be happy you did.
-Tutt
CowboyTutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks to all so far. CowboyTutt i have a stock crank so i feel eliminating the compensator will not be a good idea in my case. I normally cruse around 80 MPH but would like to get out of the hole a little faster. My tunner mentioned how bad the six speed was killing the TQ on these motors. I have also noticed when my freinds good running 95ci 05 standard out pulls me at the start but after i hit third and fourth i pull him and walk away as should be form the start.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Having good performance on the hole shot is a trademark of eliminating the compensator. That being said, unless your stock crank is unusually true I would stay away from eliminating the comp for vibration reasons. Near as I can tell from the forum posts I have read, in these situations its better to change the final drive gearing and not so much in the primary. I'll let those more knowledgeable then me like Stroker weigh in here. -Tutt
Old 02-28-2011, 10:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyTutt View Post
Having good performance on the hole shot is a trademark of eliminating the compensator. That being said, unless your stock crank is unusually true I would stay away from eliminating the comp for vibration reasons. Near as I can tell from the forum posts I have read, in these situations its better to change the final drive gearing and not so much in the primary. I'll let those more knowledgeable then me like Stroker weigh in here. -Tutt
Thanks for your time and excperiance with this subject.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

rob71458 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Your 08' came with the IDS, in the rear sprocket. This helps cushion the driveline. Running no comp., won't be as much of and issue as far as shock load, but as Cowboy said, vibration could be another problem with a stock crank.
07' FLHRSE3 124", Paul Matyka ported SE110 heads, S&S pistons/cylinders,11.5 cr, 58/62 HPI TB, 640G's, Bandit clutch, Baker DD7, IDS, 2.79 gearing, Stock Compensator, D@D Borzilla QB, K&P oil filter, Jagg ten row oil cooler, Big Sky oil cooler fans, Lenale fan, Redline oils, TWR stabilizer, Glide Pro mount. Big Boyz Tune.
rob71458 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

deanz02 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I put a 30 tooth comp sproket on my '09 Ultra. It's faster, on the dyno I gained 5hp/5ftlb. It's solid (no stock compensator cushion) so felt vibes might be slightly more but not by much. Very jerky if you let rpm get too low (like around in town corners) which could wipe out these cranks in short order.

My biggest complaint is the cruise control. It only works in 6th gear (no more 6th gear light either) and it will not set below 50 mph. My fuel mileage dropped by about 4 mpg too.You wouldn't think another 500 rpm would be a big deal but it's not as relaxing a ride as it once was.

Kinda like puttin' 4.11's in the old Camaro. Great for burnouts and Quarter mile stuff but lousy for everything else.

I'll have my 30 tooth for sale on E-bay within a few months. That's how much I like it.
deanz02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

I forgot to say my crank is trued and welded. I would have to agree with Dean that lugging the motor without a compensator on a stock crank would not be a good idea. However, the lower gearing helps to reduce that lugging effect some. The 6th gear light can be calibrated to work with a TTS tuner and perhaps the cruise control too, I don't know. I like Dean's analogy of 411 gearing in a Camaro although I wouldn't compare this primary gearing set to 411's. More like 3.50's, a good street/strip combo!

I'm sure my gas mileage will suffer some but in my case, with a cam that doesn't really start until 3000 rpm, the gear reduction keeps the engine in its sweet spot and I don't find it any less relaxing in my particular build. I think its really important to pick a cam and build that looks at the bikes total weight and what operating range you want it work in. Baggers need more low end torque to move the weight. If you were to use a camshaft from Woods or TMan that uses high lift, tight lobe separation angles, and reduced duration, you could make that set-up work well with the stock gearing. -Tutt
Old 03-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for your time and responce to my question Tutt i think i will go in the driection that qtrracer suggested reason being i can kill two birds with one stone for i have a stock clutch also and by changing the clutch with a 49 t gear will get what i am looking for hopefuly.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

That sounds like a real good fix and a good choice too! I went with an AIM VT92 variable clutch upgrade and just changed the diaphragm spring to the next higher one (320?) while keeping my stock clutch plates. You can really feel the difference in clutch pull between idle and higher rpm.

I have a friend who might be really interested in what your doing for a similar upgrade. Can you by chance remember to either post or email me on how it works out for you? I'd really like to know. cowboytutt@pacific.net

Take care my friend!

-Tutt
Old 03-03-2011, 05:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
Premium Member

Tnbrit wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sportster Pulley

I read on another forum that another alternative was to fit a 68T Sportster pulley(i think it was an export pulley).It was said to have the same result as altering the gearing in the primary,buy was easier to install.
Please read this post just as something I have read,I have no knowledge or expierence to offer.
If this info on the Pulley is correct,could this be used on my 07'FXD,
Thanks,Graham.
Tnbrit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.