New 2011 103" FLHR - OEM header pipe question : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

nosillyname wants to know Dino or Syn?
New 2011 103" FLHR - OEM header pipe question

Happy new year folks,

I have a new factory 103" FLHR and deciding on a few performance mods.... At this stage I only plan on doing a/c, pipes/mufflers and fuel management. Budget won't stretch any further.

How restrictive are the header pipes?? Should I leave them on and just do slip on mufflers or should I be swapping them out for say a Fuel Moto 2-1-2 performance header pipe? How much difference will it really make?

I know the '09 and earlier header pipes flowed pretty well, but with the newer pipes and the cats and tighter EPA restrictions, I wondered how much the OEM headers are holding back the performance of the engine.

Thanks for any advice.
nosillyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 12:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Claytonb78 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm wondering the exact same thing. Only other thing I've heard you may want to add is a new cam and I am very curious if it's better to get the 96 they a big bore or to stick with a 103 and do exactly what you're doing plus a new cam. Great questions.
Claytonb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

werdna65 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just alittle note since nobody has replied, I got my Purple and Black 2011 classis before christmas and with all the reading I did I went ahead and Put VH Power Duals and H-D stage two performance mufflers with no cats in them, K&N A/C, Fuel Man, Can't decide on SE 204 or 255 cams, with no cam change yet it sounds very good, at this point, cams will get changed out as it still hasn't got the power I need in 6th gear
werdna65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

werdna65 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I also would spend the extra and get the 103 over the 96, has a good starting ground for mods that the 96 doesn't have. IE; auto compression release, Cruise, ABS I do like it, and the alarm
werdna65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

flhtk wants to know Dino or Syn?
take the headppipe apart and cut the catalytic converter in half you can see how bad it is. I removed mine and had it welded back together, the exhaust temp drops about 300 degrees and adds a few horsepower making riding much more enjoyable, with mild porting,sert,259e cams, slip ons and se a/c mine is setting at 96hp 108 tq numbers, having dyno tuned now to tweak the mods
flhtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
"Jane you ignorant slut!"

ceraaa42 wants to know Dino or Syn?
You know what's expensive? Buying the WRONG exhaust. Hum....I think I resemble that remark.

Try to get something right out of the gate if you can that will hold up to reasonable changes.

Be sure to keep your stock system. There are some emissions laws that could come down the pipe that could make you reinstall it to stay legal. I understand Calif. is already that way, and the 2011's are even more so under the thumb. If you have to buy the stock headpipes from Harley, I'll bet they are priced right up there!
SE255 cams
SE Air cleaner
SERT
Fatcat Quiet baffle
Bagger brace
Dyno report; http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/dr...et-baffle.html

"Ya fargin' sneeky bastage!" Roman Troy Moronie

43 member
ceraaa42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

bxbutch1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I cut a window in the cat area & remove cat then weld window back in place I have in cvo mufflers with full sac baffles & pcv from fuel moto it runs & sounds great
bxbutch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
FNG :)

Unbalanced wants to know Dino or Syn?
Steve Cole posted on the cvo site that he did not recommend cutting the cat out due to the reversion and cross talk the sensors would get.

I know a few have done this, but and say they run ok, just have to wonder how much it affects or not affects compared to how good the tune really is vs. the butt dyno. I went with the Kuryakyn head pipes and mufflers on the 2011 103 limited and the 2011 110. Both bikes run great with the TTS and Mike Rolands Map from Kuryakyn.

Nice part is when I get off the bikes the ears dont ring.
Unbalanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

CowboyTutt wants to know Dino or Syn?
Funny you should mention Steve's name. I called TTS for some help with a technical question yesterday and was well into 10 minutes of the discussion with some tech guy named "Steve" before I finally woke up and said, "Wait a minute, your not Steve Cole are you?" He replied yes and he took a good half hour it seemed to talk to me. It may have been less but not by much! The amount of research and scientific experiments this guy has done on cam shaft selection and injection on Harley's is remarkable. I came away real impressed by his knowledge. I would suggest he knows well what he is talking about.

-Tutt
CowboyTutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

TonyC2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbalanced View Post
Steve Cole posted on the cvo site that he did not recommend cutting the cat out due to the reversion and cross talk the sensors would get.

I know a few have done this, but and say they run ok, just have to wonder how much it affects or not affects compared to how good the tune really is vs. the butt dyno. I went with the Kuryakyn head pipes and mufflers on the 2011 103 limited and the 2011 110. Both bikes run great with the TTS and Mike Rolands Map from Kuryakyn.

Nice part is when I get off the bikes the ears dont ring.
I don't see how removing the cat will effect the 02 sensors since the sensors are before you get to the cat.
TonyC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ultraswede wants to know Dino or Syn?
I dont see how removing the cat, and keeping the stock cam,
can be of any benefit.

If new headers are concidered, a new cam will cost the same
(or less), but will get you a lot more Tq/Hp for the $ spent.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Traded off my 07 RG with 60,000 wonderful miles on it now I have a 2011 RG Ultra.
What to do about CATS. I am thing about getting rid of them down th road.
I want to save the stock headers
I would like to keep the stock look I am happy with the way headers run now.
And I would like to keep 02 sensors I like the closed loop system works well for me
any Idea on headers that fit these requirements
The fun starts all over now.

Last edited by smitty901; 03-26-2011 at 07:16 PM.
smitty901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member

WI Bob wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC2 View Post
I don't see how removing the cat will effect the 02 sensors since the sensors are before you get to the cat.

There is much proof of this working with the Fuel Moto and Fullsac headpipes. And more that just remove the cat.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I do not much care about more power. CATS work by generating heat . Just do not want to deal with them if they prove to put out a lot. I will find out soon as this Wisconsin weather clears up. At 25-45 degrees heat not a problem from the pipes.
smitty901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

streetglidekirk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Bob, how do you like the auto tune on the PCV ?
Bigboyz street port heads
Doherty Machine Power Pacc Air Breather
Kuryakyn Crusher True Duals
TTS Mastertune
Power Commander V
100 hp 108 tq
L.A. Choppers lowering
Arnott Aldan Air Ride 13" Shocks
Arc Audio KS 125.4 amp
DLS UP6i 6-1/2 speakers
streetglidekirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links