Hurricane Heads on 120 R?????? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hurricane Heads on 120 R??????

Question .
thinking of ordering the hurricane heads and installing on the 120R with the stock advertised comp of 10.5:1.
the SE catalog says N/A. just wondering why they say so.
seems they would be fine at this compression .or even bump it up to just under 11.0:1. I think the 12.0:1 pistons would be to much ccp for the 266E Cams or even a shorter cam (most likely down the road). so thoughts? any of the porter around here seen the hurricanes yet?
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

nw_guy4_fun wants to know Dino or Syn?
I would think this is simple just use the parts they suggest, all of them, and it should work fine. Sorry haven't seen them yet but they haven't lied to us about the performance of the standard release, so based on that would be inclined to use their cam, heads and 12/1 pistons.

Last edited by nw_guy4_fun; 10-29-2010 at 11:39 AM.
nw_guy4_fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

HDWRENCH wants to know Dino or Syn?
You would be into the 210+ CCP with that set up, and HD states very clearly that this is a race engine. I would be inclined to say that HD is not worried about you running that engine with the 12.1 compression on the street or even on crap pump gas. I would however say that from what has been seen thus far that it should work and be a monster. Jim you already know what I have in the works though. Kick back will be happy to share what I find.
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw_guy4_fun View Post
I would think this is simple just use the parts they suggest, all of them, and it should work fine. Sorry haven't seen them yet but they haven't lied to us about the performance of the standard release, so based on that would be inclined to use their cam, heads and 12/1 pistons.
I hear ya Don.
let me put it a diff way.
I am sure using the 12.1 pistons .267 cams and the hurricane heads, would work as they described. this would be a high rpm hp build no doubt.
my thinking is..... most likely I will end up with a shorter cam than even the 266 E although it might just work out. I advanced the 266 E in the 120r crate motor 4 deg. the graph didnt show much of a change in the curve actual it didnt change the curve at all, just the peak HP/TQ. swapped around. it made slightly more hp than tq (straight up) after the 4 deg advance it made slightly more tq than hp. SOP riding was ...the bike felt good all over. a lot more responsive than with the cams straight up. I didnt have the time to do any partial throttle pulls before and after,because of clutch problems ,and the owner let me have it for a week and wanted it back (cant blame him for that).
so anyway back to what I am wondering.....why not use the hurricane heads on the crate motor with stock 10.5 advertised comp. the MVA heads are advertised as 95 cc heads. "IF" the hurricanes are 95 cc also (is my understanding they are but cant find the specs) why wouldnt they come in at the same compression ,and just work better "they flow better" or so they are advertised as such.
I cant help but think they (Hurricanes) would be better even without the 12.1 pistons and 267 cams.
the 267 cams will bleed off comp. with the 12.1's, not sure how much they will bleed off with the 12.1, in comparison to the 10.5 with 266E's.
on the crate motor if you just swapped the 266's to 267's it would bleed of 14.5 ccp. I dont know the dome of the 12.1 pistons ,so I cant see exactly how much they bleed off,to compare the ccp of the two.
I know this, the ccp on the 120 R crate motor was 195 with the 4 deg advance.
what I would like to do is cc the hurricanes to achieve about 205 ccp either with the 266's straight up or whatever shorter cam I would use.
red shift 658
wood 408-6
t-man 662-1
t-man 662-2
sorry Steve I was typing when you posted. thanks for the math ccp on the xtreme would be 210?
I am considering something like you doing also. that's why I haven't made the calls yet LOL!
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Last edited by strokerjlk; 10-29-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
OUCH! That hurt

wfolarry wants to know Dino or Syn?
My $.02:

NA just means they're not compatible with the piston set listed most likely because the intake valve is 2.175 which is the biggest offered to date. Getting a set of flat tops machined for that valve wouldn't be hard.
Those heads would flow better but you would have to pick your cam accordingly. Most cams are designed around the stock heads & going with a head that big takes a lot of cams out of the running. If I was to pick a cam I'd be looking at Redshift first because from experience with the B2 heads I've always made the most power with them.
Big heads are like a big block versus a small block. The small block gets the jump at the line & is winning 'till about 1/2 track when the big block drives right on by.
Here's an example:
2 guys I built motors for. They're twins & their bikes were identical. One had a 124 with Zippers billet heads. The other had the B2's. Both bikes made 170 HP on the dyno. At the track the small heads got the jump at the line. About 1/2 track the B2 heads took over. At the finish line it wasn't even close. And the B2 heads had a smaller carb.
This is what you'll get with those heads. JMO
Old 10-30-2010, 01:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfolarry View Post
My $.02:

NA just means they're not compatible with the piston set listed most likely because the intake valve is 2.175 which is the biggest offered to date. Getting a set of flat tops machined for that valve wouldn't be hard.
Those heads would flow better but you would have to pick your cam accordingly. Most cams are designed around the stock heads & going with a head that big takes a lot of cams out of the running. If I was to pick a cam I'd be looking at Redshift first because from experience with the B2 heads I've always made the most power with them.
Big heads are like a big block versus a small block. The small block gets the jump at the line & is winning 'till about 1/2 track when the big block drives right on by.
Here's an example:
2 guys I built motors for. They're twins & their bikes were identical. One had a 124 with Zippers billet heads. The other had the B2's. Both bikes made 170 HP on the dyno. At the track the small heads got the jump at the line. About 1/2 track the B2 heads took over. At the finish line it wasn't even close. And the B2 heads had a smaller carb.
This is what you'll get with those heads. JMO
thanks Larry. gives me a lot more to think about.
I should have typed 657 not 658 redshift.
but I think your talking a little diff redshift. or are you?
so you think the flat tops would need extra reliefs? makes sense. had not though about that.
SE 218
DR 218

Old 10-30-2010, 01:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Still the Same!

wurk_truk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Why not have Larry work over the MVA heads?
Old 10-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurk_truk View Post
Why not have Larry work over the MVA heads?
I have thought about that John. even working over the Hurricanes.
my head (brain) is spinning
SE 218
DR 218

Old 10-30-2010, 07:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
OUCH! That hurt

wfolarry wants to know Dino or Syn?
Those Hurricane heads require a different intake. When you start adding up all the parts it could get expensive.
If you want to try something on the cheap go with a set of 110 heads. I can get those flowing over 300 easy & you would save money. That way you could try a few different cams to see where the power is. Wouldn't be hard to get pistons either.

I just seen on another thread you are getting or already have a 120? Those MVA heads can be made to flow good as well.

Last edited by wfolarry; 10-30-2010 at 08:10 PM.
wfolarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Still the Same!

wurk_truk wants to know Dino or Syn?
I might be out of line here... but MY thought would be the Hurricanes would be too big for you. Unless you have a Dyna sitting around.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfolarry View Post
Those Hurricane heads require a different intake. When you start adding up all the parts it could get expensive.
If you want to try something on the cheap go with a set of 110 heads. I can get those flowing over 300 easy & you would save money. That way you could try a few different cams to see where the power is. Wouldn't be hard to get pistons either.

yes the manifold adds cost but the 62 mm T/B is the same price as the 58 T/B. going to get 20 % off on everything so that helps. and the plan was to sell the MVA'S that come on the motor to help recoup some of the cost of the hurricanes.
are you suggesting doing a set of 110 heads for my 106 (maybe 107 if I build on it). I have that in the back of my mind also.
also have a brand new set of 08 heads ..never been touched.
BVBob is still whispering in my ear about a 114 ci also LOL
still considering all options......head is still spinning LOL!
I haven't ordered the 120 R yet until I have a clear plan. thanks for your input. still listening

I just seen on another thread you are getting or already have a 120? Those MVA heads can be made to flow good as well.

Quote:
I might be out of line here... but MY thought would be the Hurricanes would be too big for you. Unless you have a Dyna sitting around.
your not out of line at all John. I have thought the same thing.
I am not a head porter so I want to know what to expect under all circumstances. I would hate to turn this into a pooch down low making a stupid mistake. I just cant get those hurricanes off my mind
SE 218
DR 218

Old 10-31-2010, 11:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

DURWOOD wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerjlk View Post
your not out of line at all John. I have thought the same thing.
I am not a head porter so I want to know what to expect under all circumstances. I would hate to turn this into a pooch down low making a stupid mistake. I just cant get those hurricanes off my mind
It's a crate engine,buy it,bolt it in and rock on...Then we can see just how much the ISO drive actually absorbs,since your bike doesn't have it and HR's does..

John 3:16
DURWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

rredneckn2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just make the call monday LOL
rredneckn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement