103 with se 254 cams : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

bxbutch1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
103 with se 254 cams

has anyone used the se 254 cams in a 103 engine considering using them to preserve warrenty Thanks Butch
bxbutch1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 05:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

TIMTOOLMAN wants to know Dino or Syn?
Using a s.e. 254 doesnt "save the warranty", just changing cams voids that even if the dealer installs it, s.e. or any other cam depending on the dealer, Some honor warranties reguardless, i wouldnt use "warranty" criteria that for installiing any type of cam. put in what u want and dont let the dealer tell you different, there are much better cams for more trq and power than that choice anyhow, I have a 107cuin big bore kit with cams heads and a tts tuner and ive had warranty work done with no problems. i had a 103 and used andrews 54 h does really good or use the new woods 555 does even better, using stock heads. Do some research for the torque range u are looking for lots of choices i personally always stay from s.e. cams because the just dont make the power compared to other brands as i already said there are better
hillside stage 5 2nd gen heads
woods 400-6 cams
woods directional lifters
H.P.I. 58/58 T.B. with 1.800 intake runners.
6.2 injectors
s&s p rods
woods billet rocker supports, .030 offset
Rush Wrath 2-1
S.E.cam plate S.E. H.V. oil pump
Axtell oil bypass mod
tts Tuner
doherty p/p intake modified for hillside big green air filter
S.E. compensator
30 tooth pulley
big sky dual oil cooler fans
HTCS AW/SW USN RET

Last edited by TIMTOOLMAN; 10-25-2010 at 05:43 AM.
TIMTOOLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
43 ft/lbs of Doof

Mercury wants to know Dino or Syn?
I ran Big Boyz street ported stock heads on my 103 and did 90hp/106tq with the S.E. 255's. Changed cams to Andrews 54's and did 96/107. Like TIMTOOLMAN said, there are much better choices than S.E. cams. Everyone has a favorite. The 54's just happen to be mine.

*2007 FXSTC 103*
103+ Heads, 50mm Throttle Body, Andrews 54 H Cams
PC 111, Rinehart 2 into 1's
108 HP 112 FP/T SAE
Built by Me
Tuned by Jesse @ 41 Cycles

Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

R1Geezrglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Actually, 255's and 254e's do not void the warranty. Everything else does. The 254e is quite a nice cam-good midrange power and doesn't stress the starter like the 255's do.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

changing a cam reguardless of the brand CAN void your warranty even some s.e. cams, its up to your dealer to keep things cool, read page 10 in the 2011 s.e. catalouge under "warranty & caution" Usually its the whole package or the milder 203 s.e. cam they may honor under a warranty claim. read before doing if your worried about warranty issues, dont go by rumours or incorrect info on the net
woods 400-6 cams
6.2 injectors
s&s p rods
Rush Wrath 2-1
Axtell oil bypass mod
tts Tuner
S.E. compensator
30 tooth pulley
HTCS AW/SW USN RET

Last edited by TIMTOOLMAN; 10-26-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Mtclassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMTOOLMAN View Post
changing a cam reguardless of the brand CAN void your warranty even some s.e. cams, its up to your dealer to keep things cool, read page 10 in the 2011 s.e. catalouge under "warranty & caution" Usually its the whole package or the milder 203 s.e. cam they may honor under a warranty claim. read before doing if your worried about warranty issues, dont go by rumours or incorrect info on the net
255's and 254's if done on a 2011 103 do not void warranty, the 203's do however. If they are installed by your dealer HD does honor the warranty.
This was taken from the 2011 book.
*Recalibration is required for proper installation, and will allow engine to rev to
5600 RPM. See Dealer for details. Labor cost not included.
When installed by an authorized Harley-Davidson® dealer at the time of vehicle delivery,
these kits do not impact the vehicle’s limited warranty.
NOTE: Installation of a California performance kit onto a 49-state model motorcycle, or
a 49-state performance kit onto a California model motorcycle will void manufacturer’s
warranty, as it will not result in a street-legal configuration.
NOTE: Installation of automatic or manual compression releases on large displacement
engines is highly recommended

Last edited by Mtclassic; 10-26-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Mtclassic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

FLTRSE3CLONE wants to know Dino or Syn?
When installed by an authorized Harley-Davidson® dealer at the time of vehicle delivery,
....Thats called a loop hole
11 fltruse FBI wheels& hidden axle 574 Fuelling cams & lifters.J&M rocker series speakers & amp,RC open a/c RB Racing 2-1 spyder , Aim-vpc92, SE 58mm TB, HPI 5.3 inj,tuned by strokerjlk 112.76/118.99 sae
115.42/121.85 std
FLTRSE3CLONE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Mtclassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTRSE3CLONE View Post
....Thats called a loop hole
My dealer told me that time of delivery was up to 60 days. I am sure some dealers are different. I am lucky I have a good dealer. I do all my own work and dealer has never hesitated to perform warranty work if needed. In 2004 they even split my cases and installed a big bore kit due to a leak and I had installed gear drive cams, they never batted an eye.
Mtclassic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

i worked in a dealer parts dept believe what you want to, page 10 of s.e. warranty disclaimer is the the dealer loop hole also. 203 cams are stock on older cvo 103's and 95's so they didnt void the warranty at that time. harley is cracking down on all warranty jobs that include performance parts,s.e or aftermarket ones, its the economy and epa thats driving it, dealers THEMSELVES can and some do honor their installment of non stock performance parts if you are a good customer, thats a DEALERS WARRANTY, but at the rate of dealers closing their doors and other dealers wont honor another dealers warranty work, not talking harley's warranty , there is a difference, i didnt care on my own bikes i always do my own wrenching and trouble shooting, its the sign of things to come for warranty repairs

S.E. parts and installation does come warrantied by hd, AS LONG AS THE BIKE IN STREET LEGAL TRIM , and most is for racing and has no warranty from h.d.
s.e. pipes (which suck) and S.E. calibration efi kits or sert sucks ,

tts , or power commanders, or tmax tune the best but arent under H.D'S warranty,

all S.E. heads are race only no h.d. warranty

and the 113 kit is for race only no hd warranty on the "street" it has the crossed flags

pro super tuner has crosed flags meaning race only its not for street warranty, , anything different does void warranty and there are alot of parts listed that have the crossed flags that are for race only, and some dealers wait for thing like that so they can save money and say no its not under warranty.
so ok u can install a 253 cam with a 103 big bore kit and hd efi down load only or sert no heads , but thats it with no other s.e. parts but you cant tune it decently under "warranty" guide lines because the pro super tuner has crossed flags again

255 cam if you install it with the 110 kit must be used with the original air cleaner kit and original exhaust as shown on page 13 to be street legal that is a sucky kit in that configuration lots of dealer loop holes

103 big bore kit with either 253, or 255 cam and a efi down load or sert isnt any fun, but to HELL with the warranty
woods 400-6 cams
6.2 injectors
s&s p rods
Rush Wrath 2-1
Axtell oil bypass mod
tts Tuner
S.E. compensator
30 tooth pulley
HTCS AW/SW USN RET

Last edited by TIMTOOLMAN; 10-26-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

ColoSpgsMark wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've got a set of the 254E's on the shelf for my winter project(s).

Mark
ColoSpgsMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2010, 11:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Still the Same!

wurk_truk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Or... simply EAT the drivetrain portion of the warranty like I did after I bent the crank. It was ONLY .008 and not the .012 warranty requires. Fu$k em.

The rest of the bikes warranty is still in effect like the radio and electronics, etc.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

yep thats about right, radio and turn signal warranty is all that is left now if that, oh well
woods 400-6 cams
6.2 injectors
s&s p rods
Rush Wrath 2-1
Axtell oil bypass mod
tts Tuner
S.E. compensator
30 tooth pulley
HTCS AW/SW USN RET
Old 11-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Ken R wants to know Dino or Syn?
I bought a brand new set of SE-255's for my new 2010 Limited (103). I'm considering not using them because of the higher CCP; and do I really need as much extra torque they provide. Thinking about 254's, Andrews 54, or even Andrews 26 instead. Been pouring over every 103 dyno chart I can find.

I really liked the Andrews 21N cams that I put in my '02 Ultra with 95 cu in. Really improved the low rpm torque and were very quiet.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member

Eleft36 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken R View Post
I bought a brand new set of SE-255's for my new 2010 Limited (103). I'm considering not using them because of the higher CCP; and do I really need as much extra torque they provide. Thinking about 254's, Andrews 54, or even Andrews 26 instead. Been pouring over every 103 dyno chart I can find.

I really liked the Andrews 21N cams that I put in my '02 Ultra with 95 cu in. Really improved the low rpm torque and were very quiet.
I only have experience with Andrews 26H's, Idles nice, quiet as stock, starts quick, pulls 2up like a I have no passenger, gives good mileage-38 to 42 mostly 2up and 6th gear passing not a problem above 2300+ rpm .

No dyno done, I like it as is now, 21000+ miles on it.
Al
Stock 110" mufflers Stock Heads Andrews 26 Cams SE103" BB Kit Zippers Cam Chain Tensioners SE Compensator Mustang Wide Touring Seat Stock Bars H.D. Oil Cooler 1990's LeatherWorks inc Saddle Bags with HD Deluxe modified guards H-D Windshield Thunder Max A/T 2005 S E Tour Pack Progressive Shocks & fork Mono Tube kit
Eleft36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Enjoying a great Ride.

jeffsglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
if you put a se 254 cam in and use the tts master tune. The dealer will never no you have a different cam in your bike unless you tell them. the dealer will never pick up the signiture from the ecm it hides it another reason to us the tts master tune.
jeffsglide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.