Power Star Spark Plugs - Page 9 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #121 (permalink)
Not sure where I put it

BOUTYM is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb1500 View Post
dont know if its worth 3 horses at 18 a pop
Especially since it is proven that that you can get more HP/dollar from LED lighting under the tank.
BOUTYM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #122 (permalink)
IronButt

CowboyTutt wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ha! Your such a kidder! I was thinking of putting blue LED's on top of the spark itself! LOL -Tutt

Last edited by CowboyTutt; 09-11-2012 at 07:44 PM.
CowboyTutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #123 (permalink)
IronButt

pattisteve1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
hi all, the name is steve . thank you tutt for you participation in all this. i guess it is time for me to say a couple of things just so we all know what is going on here. i'll start at the first.
i was watching speed channel on tv one day about three years ago. i saw a little interview with the guy [scott applebaum] from powerstar. up until that time i hadn't given two thoughts about plugs. i have used champion since i was a kid . out of curiosity i decided to look up the powerstar website. i read their stuff there and saw the moneyback guarantee and thought " what the heck, i won't know if i don't try them. so i got a set and put them in. immediately i noticed a difference in performance. nothing earth shattering, but still i felt better throttle response and a smoother power band, etc. i ran them for a year and found my mileage had increased by an honest 5 mpg. i liked the plugs. so i started telling my friends that ride.i have been riding more than forty years so i have a number of great friends i ride with. even with me up on a soapbox telling my friends about the mileage and better power i noticed they still wouldn't put them in and give them a try.it is hard to break old habits. so i started buying a few extra sets and giving them to certain of my friends. everyone i know that put them in liked them for the same reasons as me. so i became a dealer just so i could get a discount for my friends. i am retired and am not looking for a spark plug buisiness .
then last year about this time my wife and i were riding and a deer ran into us and it broke my leg. while i was laid up is when i started blogging. i belong to a blog at speedtalk.com i was blogging on a thread about welding up hemi firing chambers and dropping the firing chamber roof, relocating the valves and such.[that is another great subject. i am doing my panhead and my friend has his shovelhead almost done. flatop pistons and a bathtub like firing chamber roof] on that blog i mentioned the powerstar plugs and man here came the naysayers. one of them ,named karl, has a shop in california with some kind of dyno that he offered to do some tests on the plugs. we wanted to do some part throttle testing since that is where we feel the advantage is more than open throttle stuff. we agreed to do the test and i offered to take my bike to his shop and we would test on it. i had told him i was a dealer and the reason why [to buy plugs for my friends] then he just dropped out of site and stopped answering the blog. [i just found out this morning why- his wife had come down with pnuemonia and nearly died. she was in the hospital for a month. he told me he is now retiring and won't be able to proceed with any testing.
while waiting for karl to respond i had the chance to put my own bike on the dyno at yellowstone harley in mt. they have a guy on the dyno there that is real good and they have a great reputation. that was the first dyno chart i posted. my bike is 2003 open loop fuel injection and was mapped way lean. no extra ful there to burn. the next one we did was a friend of mine's 2001 carburated duece. it was running on the rich side. the guys with rich running bikes were having the best improvements i thought. that was the secnd one i posted. the third one i from a 2oo1 fuel injected model. it showed a nice gain all the way through. then i had my bike remapped and tested again with close to the same results as the first time. that is probably the last of my plug tests.
all along it was my intent to share my good experience with the plugs with those that would be inclined. i have stated all along that the easiest thing to do is get a set and put them in your bike and try them. if you don't like them return them for a refund. what could be any easier than that. if you look around on the powerstar website they have plenty of dyno charts to look at from cars and bikes. they of course have thousands of hours of their own dyno testing. the reason i did my own test with no company involvement is because i knew no one would believe the companies findings. tutt, don't be mad at powerstar because i asked them not to participate . i wanted tests free of company predudices. by the way i would and did post them even if theywould have shown a loss of performance.
i guess that is about it.
oh i forgot- they have tested the plugs for all the newer types of fuel injection. they have to be certain of what they are doing because they stand liable if they happened to get it wrong. from my dealing with powerstar i have found them to be very accesible and helpful people. especially scott applebaum, the president. i have found everytime i had a question i could call and talk to scott. i suggest you do the same if you have a question or if i can help in any way please ask.
thanks all, i have enjoyed all this discussion ,even the slamming i took at first.
happy trails steve moore
pattisteve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #124 (permalink)
IronButt

lucille wants to know Dino or Syn?
deleted by lucille...

Last edited by lucille; 09-11-2012 at 02:39 PM.
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #125 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

gtnot wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattisteve1 View Post
happy trails steve moore

Wow, two of us with the same name on this lil ol' forum!

What are the odds?

2011 FLTRX
120R Crate
AV&V Valves/Beehives (nw_guy4_fun)
TR590 @ 10.5:1 / Baisley Rockers
MGS Stepped True Duals
S&S Tuned Port Intake
SE 58mm TB/5.3 Injectors
Evo 49T / Bandit Sportsman Clutch
SE Manual Tensioner / Smith Bros. Pushrods
Pingel Electric Shifter / Gaterman GP1023 Lifters
WPW FCS Cooling Fan
PowerVision/Tuned (to perfection) by Independent1

2007 GL1800 Motor Trike (hers)
gtnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #126 (permalink)
Viel Vergnügen

vindex1963 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattisteve1 View Post
hi all, the name is steve . thank you tutt for you participation in all this. i guess it is time for me to say a couple of things just so we all know what is going on here. i'll start at the first.
i was watching speed channel on tv one day about three years ago. i saw a little interview with the guy [scott applebaum] from powerstar. up until that time i hadn't given two thoughts about plugs. i have used champion since i was a kid . out of curiosity i decided to look up the powerstar website. i read their stuff there and saw the moneyback guarantee and thought " what the heck, i won't know if i don't try them. so i got a set and put them in. immediately i noticed a difference in performance. nothing earth shattering, but still i felt better throttle response and a smoother power band, etc. i ran them for a year and found my mileage had increased by an honest 5 mpg. i liked the plugs. so i started telling my friends that ride.i have been riding more than forty years so i have a number of great friends i ride with. even with me up on a soapbox telling my friends about the mileage and better power i noticed they still wouldn't put them in and give them a try.it is hard to break old habits. so i started buying a few extra sets and giving them to certain of my friends. everyone i know that put them in liked them for the same reasons as me. so i became a dealer just so i could get a discount for my friends. i am retired and am not looking for a spark plug buisiness .
then last year about this time my wife and i were riding and a deer ran into us and it broke my leg. while i was laid up is when i started blogging. i belong to a blog at speedtalk.com i was blogging on a thread about welding up hemi firing chambers and dropping the firing chamber roof, relocating the valves and such.[that is another great subject. i am doing my panhead and my friend has his shovelhead almost done. flatop pistons and a bathtub like firing chamber roof] on that blog i mentioned the powerstar plugs and man here came the naysayers. one of them ,named karl, has a shop in california with some kind of dyno that he offered to do some tests on the plugs. we wanted to do some part throttle testing since that is where we feel the advantage is more than open throttle stuff. we agreed to do the test and i offered to take my bike to his shop and we would test on it. i had told him i was a dealer and the reason why [to buy plugs for my friends] then he just dropped out of site and stopped answering the blog. [i just found out this morning why- his wife had come down with pnuemonia and nearly died. she was in the hospital for a month. he told me he is now retiring and won't be able to proceed with any testing.
while waiting for karl to respond i had the chance to put my own bike on the dyno at yellowstone harley in mt. they have a guy on the dyno there that is real good and they have a great reputation. that was the first dyno chart i posted. my bike is 2003 open loop fuel injection and was mapped way lean. no extra ful there to burn. the next one we did was a friend of mine's 2001 carburated duece. it was running on the rich side. the guys with rich running bikes were having the best improvements i thought. that was the secnd one i posted. the third one i from a 2oo1 fuel injected model. it showed a nice gain all the way through. then i had my bike remapped and tested again with close to the same results as the first time. that is probably the last of my plug tests.
all along it was my intent to share my good experience with the plugs with those that would be inclined. i have stated all along that the easiest thing to do is get a set and put them in your bike and try them. if you don't like them return them for a refund. what could be any easier than that. if you look around on the powerstar website they have plenty of dyno charts to look at from cars and bikes. they of course have thousands of hours of their own dyno testing. the reason i did my own test with no company involvement is because i knew no one would believe the companies findings. tutt, don't be mad at powerstar because i asked them not to participate . i wanted tests free of company predudices. by the way i would and did post them even if theywould have shown a loss of performance.
i guess that is about it.
oh i forgot- they have tested the plugs for all the newer types of fuel injection. they have to be certain of what they are doing because they stand liable if they happened to get it wrong. from my dealing with powerstar i have found them to be very accesible and helpful people. especially scott applebaum, the president. i have found everytime i had a question i could call and talk to scott. i suggest you do the same if you have a question or if i can help in any way please ask.
thanks all, i have enjoyed all this discussion ,even the slamming i took at first.
happy trails steve moore

That looks like onelongsentence. Couldn't make it past the second line.

Please vote for Ride of the Month

Have a question about the site look here.

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 Ultra
vindex1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #127 (permalink)
IronButt

ihavebeenaccusedofbeingalittlelongwinded.happytrai ls
Old 09-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #128 (permalink)
IronButt

CowboyTutt wants to know Dino or Syn?
Very funny Steve! Thanks for clarifying Powerstars lack of involvement. And I do appreciate all the research you have done on the subject. I've had first hand reports from our dealer mechanic here who is actually a pretty sharp guy and he has seen different spark plugs throw codes on new bikes, usually some irridium plug. I think the best spark plug is a clean one myself. The difference I experience with fresh plugs, or at least a cleaned one is profound on throttle response. I appreciate your enthuisiasm for the Powerstar product and it does sound like it works for some people. But I just don't see the need to change what is already working well for me, and many others too. But thanks for what you have done on the subject.

-Tutt
Old 11-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #129 (permalink)
IronButt

happy holidays all! steve eat too much today [especially pie]
Old 11-24-2012, 06:53 AM   #130 (permalink)
155" R&R TwinCam

dog155 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Reading all the concerns so many of you have gotta wonder if a lot of it is from past experience with other products or from coffee shop gossip.Over the years have tried most everything from plugs to oil additives,racing fuel,to miracle fuel atomizers,bearing in mind every little bit helps.
The E3's worked great in the 124" Evo and everyday cage,no doubt will give these new plugs a shot.At least when I have done my seat of the pants will be 100%sure where the bears s$its in the buckwheat,heck we need two of these sparky's,not a big price to pay.
Will be looking for Springers test results, also no big hurry winter is just about ready to rain on our parade.
Dog
Whizzer motorbike

Last edited by dog155; 11-24-2012 at 07:05 AM.
dog155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #131 (permalink)
IronButt

howdy dog155,[ i think i got that right]. you must like going REALLY fast by the looks of those cubic inches.far out. you have the right idea, the thing to do is try some and if you don't like them get your money back. so easy.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #132 (permalink)
155" R&R TwinCam

dog155 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Certainly nothing wrong with trying anything new just don't let the nose rubbing get you down.

Over the years have tried a few of the "Hollywood Romance" latest and greatest now with all this real world experience and the forums will be leaning on the curious and can't wait types like I used to be.
Those Dyno pulls pretty much put this one to bed.
Whizzer motorbike
dog155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #133 (permalink)
FNG :)

DARKSF wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hi there

First excuse me for my english it is not the best one

I came across the Power Star plugs while searching for some other engine ignition stuff and after googling i came across this thread

So i read the whole thread and i don`t know about you guys but i find the dyno chart interesting.I`m using Denso iridium spark plugs for 25 000km so far on my 15 year old 1.8 liter 16 valve 120hp Renault Laguna and the difference for me is good for the extra cost , low end smooth and probably a bit higher torque most importantly steady idle working and perfect winter start but the interesting stuff is that i have steady drop of 0.4 to 0.5 liters of fuel consuption for 100km highway
which transfers from the original 6.5-6.4l/100km (36.2-36.7mpg) to 6.1-6.0l/100km (38.55-39.2mpg) with cruising speed of 95-105km/h highway and 9.4l/100km(25mpg) to 8.4l/100km(28mpg) city .Smooth torque delivery transfers to a smooth and faster engine reving and less fuel consumption here in europe the price of the gasoline is around 7$ per gallon so it matters for us

My question is did someone test this spark against iridium one and so far who is with the highest mileage and what is the condition of the plug itself ? The iridium ones have very thin tip (specially denso 0.4mm) and this prevents carbon decomposition on the tip so the plug itself perform and lasts for much longer time than normal copper one.
DARKSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #134 (permalink)
IronButt

Gaff wants to know Dino or Syn?
So a dyno is a good measuring stick, is a dyno exact, to a point going wide open throttle.
Does a good to perfect dyno give such a good tune that when your doing a normal every day ride that it provide the best tune for your riding style, absolutely not.

Enviromental Conditions are every thing, riding style and type, is a whole bunch more.
I'm not defending the power star plug (but I do run them on a carbureted bike) but from my years of racing, exspecially my drag racing days it brings me back to the old (then) secret side gapping of plugs.
Side gapping was very, very benificial while racing. Allowed for higher jetting, cleaner burning, and little to no fowling.
The theories behind side gapping was to have the spark face the fuel charge instead of having to migrate behind an electrode fire a portion of the charge in turn fired the charge.
With side gapping the spark faced the charge igniting the whole charge for a better burn off. Dyno sheets or not this was a tested and true mod involving spark plugs that goes back many, many years.
Now if some one comes out with plugs such as the split fire, power star or many like it.....these are just knock offs of the side gapping theary. Problem with side gapping is they would not last near as long as a traditional plug, but did last for a good while.

To get back to the dyno verses riding style and enviromental conditions: Using these style plugs does show and probably have proof some where that for those changing conditions you would see performance benifits that make up for the conditional changes (and I even forgot the **** fuel thats out there now).

So better performance= less work for the same output turns into better fuel milage.

Making a stroke longer and touching up heads like harley tries to do year after year to claim a new product that arguably goes back 40 years isn't inovation. Taking small bits like this and getting them to work for as long as there service lifes are promoted and reaping the benifits of a praposed fuel savings and performance gains, now thats, in my eyes something looking into.
Gaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #135 (permalink)
IronButt

mattchalmers wants to know where he is and how he got here
I will dyno test these at no charge

If someone wants to prove/dis-prove these things on a dyno, send
me a set and i'll back to back dyno them against a new set of brand
x and post the results. I don't put ANY faith in 'seat of the pants' type
tests.

email me at rareharleyrider@hotmail.com if you're interested.
mattchalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement