Removing the oil tank on a 2000 FatBoy : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

x1rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Removing the oil tank on a 2000 FatBoy

I was changing the belt that Dave snapped while tuning the 120" 2000 FatBoy and while putting the starter jackshaft back on I set my 1/4" torque wrench to 110 in-lbs as specified but the jackshaft rod snapped. Seems like I am cursed these days, the Buell has a fried ECM as well, haha!
Now I have to remove the oil tank to remove the starter to get the snapped off piece out of there (this is gonna be fun).
I was reading the procedure for removing the oil tank and they have all those fancy tools for disconnecting the oil lines from the tank. I was wondering if they are really needed or is there a way around it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
x1rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

axiom wants to know Dino or Syn?
On my 2008 softail I just pull the bottom hose off that leads to the engine (feed hose) and pop out the return and the breather lines then you can swing the oil tank out of the way while its still attached to the other hose (drain hose) that is way underneath. This is the reason I am going to go to a chain drive because it is way too big of a pain to change a belt. Anyway, Im guessing yours would be nearly the same but not totally sure. Hope it helps.

Just looked at my manual and you don't need those silly little tools fore removing the lines, just squeeze the clips together and pop them out theres a few orings in there so just make sure you either get them out or they are not blocking the way when you go to push them back in.

Last edited by axiom; 07-08-2010 at 09:08 PM.
axiom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

01fxdx wants to know Dino or Syn?
no tools needed, pull back the chrome covers and use small pick tools to disenguage the plastic clips and work the lines out. they suck. almsot as much as pulling the bag out. take your time bro, it'll all work out. prolly could have done a chain convert for what the belt cost.
super "D"
loud d&d

2006 fltr
95" all secondhand parts

2009 1125cr. rolling grins.
01fxdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 04:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

OK, thanks for the advice, hopefully I'm done breaking stuff.

...now any suggestions on how I'm gonna get that broken bit out of there, haha!
Old 07-09-2010, 06:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

01fxdx wants to know Dino or Syn?
loctite on the threads? did it go in difficult? if it went in easy and you just overtightened, it might come right out. if not, you can get service parts for your starter. and then there's always drilling....
super "D"
loud d&d

2006 fltr
95" all secondhand parts

2009 1125cr. rolling grins.
01fxdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 06:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01fxdx View Post
loctite on the threads? did it go in difficult? if it went in easy and you just overtightened, it might come right out. if not, you can get service parts for your starter. and then there's always drilling....
No loctite on the threads. It didn't go in difficult, I was tightening it and it just started spinning "too easily" then broke off. I won't be able to get a replacement part unless I contact Custom Valley because if I remember well, there is a jackshaft extension that goes with the 240 wide tire kit. I might try a left hand drill bit and try to spin it out.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premium octane member

TXCHOP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yves, do you have to pull the starter out? With the primary off there should be some room to work, maybe not enough though.I feel your pain though, just did a starter on a softail last week......I checked on their site, looks like they have a longer coupler and bolt than stock.

Sorry for the run of bad luck...
Old 07-09-2010, 07:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCHOP View Post
Yves, do you have to pull the starter out? With the primary off there should be some room to work, maybe not enough though.I feel your pain though, just did a starter on a softail last week......I checked on their site, looks like they have a longer coupler and bolt than stock.

Sorry for the run of bad luck...
Hi Dan, I think I won't have a choice, I have to go dig for that bit that snapped off, plus it looks like I'll have to order the bolt from Custom Valley because it appears like it is longer due to the offset caused by the 240 tire kit.
....and the throttle cable on the FatBoy started to fray.... and the internal throttle is seizing up.... I think I'll retire the FatBoy for the rest of the summer, haha!
Old 07-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

That went OK, the oil lines came out easily, I pushed the oil tank aside, strapped it to the frame, and pulled the starter out.

The broken off bit was sticking out so I just grabbed it with a pair of vice grips to get it out.

...now gotta get everything back in there...

Old 07-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

rbabos wants to know Dino or Syn?
I don't know for sure but I pulled the tank once to remove the starter, but looking at things it would seem easier to pull the battery cables off of the starter after the battery is out and yank the primary with starter attached. Then again I'm getting really fast at yanking the primary components. Anybody done it this way before? The tank route is such a pain in the ass, which I did during the HQ build.
Ron
Old 07-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
I don't know for sure but I pulled the tank once to remove the starter, but looking at things it would seem easier to pull the battery cables off of the starter after the battery is out and yank the primary with starter attached. Then again I'm getting really fast at yanking the primary components. Anybody done it this way before? The tank route is such a pain in the ass, which I did during the HQ build.
Ron
You mean pull the starter from the left side of the bike?
There is a piece of the engine case in the way on that side (believe me, I thought about that too). So unless you can squeeze the starter through that little hole, you can't do it, haha!

Old 07-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
BigMo

Mohead1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just pulled a starter myself to get the inner primary off my 01 Fatboy. Those oil lines friggin suck. Go to the dealer and get the two replacement gizmo things that have new quick connects and new o-rings with alignment tool. Only a few bucks each. Pull the old o-rings and spacers out of the tank prior to replacing the new ones obviouisly. My originals were hard as a rock and couldnt get the lines back in worth a crap. So new stuff was put in. Then a little assembly lube (ie. Lubriplate) and eased em back in as I was swinging the tank into place. Just my two cents......oh yeah.....economy bad.....just my ONE cent.....hahaha.....
Old 07-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohead1 View Post
I just pulled a starter myself to get the inner primary off my 01 Fatboy. Those oil lines friggin suck. Go to the dealer and get the two replacement gizmo things that have new quick connects and new o-rings with alignment tool. Only a few bucks each. Pull the old o-rings and spacers out of the tank prior to replacing the new ones obviouisly. My originals were hard as a rock and couldnt get the lines back in worth a crap. So new stuff was put in. Then a little assembly lube (ie. Lubriplate) and eased em back in as I was swinging the tank into place. Just my two cents......oh yeah.....economy bad.....just my ONE cent.....hahaha.....
Thanks for the advice, I'll be putting the oil tank back tomorrow after work, I'll see how it goes and may order those parts if need be (unfortunately for me, the closest dealership is 6hrs away).
Old 07-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
BigMo

Mohead1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
OHHHHH!! Six hours.....that sucks. Well, be aware of them things and go easy with plenty of slippery goo and it all should be well. Mine got pulled sideways a little on the disassembly, so check em man....later
Old 07-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by x1rider View Post
I was changing the belt that Dave snapped while tuning the 120" 2000 FatBoy and while putting the starter jackshaft back on I set my 1/4" torque wrench to 110 in-lbs as specified but the jackshaft rod snapped. Seems like I am cursed these days, the Buell has a fried ECM as well, haha!
Now I have to remove the oil tank to remove the starter to get the snapped off piece out of there (this is gonna be fun).
I was reading the procedure for removing the oil tank and they have all those fancy tools for disconnecting the oil lines from the tank. I was wondering if they are really needed or is there a way around it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
done it a few times without removing the oil bag
I had to pull the rear tire and remove the plastic lower fender and go through the opening after unscrewing the plastic cover on the fender to get one screw and used 3 extensions (used 3 instead of one long one to have a little flex) and went between the oil bag and the tranny from the other side to get the other bolt out.
you could use a flexable extension. but it was far easyer than pulling the bag
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.