Valve train noise with Woods cams - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

DURWOOD wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVBOB View Post
That is a very aggressive ramped cam you are running , you have to expect more noise than stock, noise is a relative thing, what is unbearable to some is not noticed by others. Hey Durwood, is that little man with the hammer any relation to the little man in the boat.
Could be,because both can drive a man nuts

John 3:16
DURWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

BMoscato wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DURWOOD View Post
Could be,because both can drive a man nuts
And they'll both make you go broke...
Old 07-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
FNG :)

Tom Arnold wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yes I feel the pain of speed. Like I said it runs great but that TANK,TANK,TANK is getting a little old. To the point of not being comfortable in riding it 400 miles from home. As I mentioned I have talked to Gary Williams in Pearl Mississippi who started as a carb man but now is doing allot of harley parts and building a ton of 117's that he says you can ride across country with no problems. He said it should not be that loud. Guess I'm in for a 3 hour trailer trip to drop it of and 3 hours home and then all over again to pick it up to see what he can do with it. No shop in town can work on this.
Just thought I will see if anyone could help before making this trip.
Tom Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

nw_guy4_fun wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Arnold View Post
Yes I feel the pain of speed. Like I said it runs great but that TANK,TANK,TANK is getting a little old. To the point of not being comfortable in riding it 400 miles from home. As I mentioned I have talked to Gary Williams in Pearl Mississippi who started as a carb man but now is doing allot of harley parts and building a ton of 117's that he says you can ride across country with no problems. He said it should not be that loud. Guess I'm in for a 3 hour trailer trip to drop it of and 3 hours home and then all over again to pick it up to see what he can do with it. No shop in town can work on this.
Just thought I will see if anyone could help before making this trip.
Please let us know what happens
Gary is one sharp dude.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

wydopn231 wants to know Dino or Syn?
didn't read all threads so this might have already been said. Check the rocker covers around the springs.If you have larger springs they usualy need to be ground for clearance.I ground mine thought I had plenty of clearance.When I pulled them off for some other stuff I found that they where still hitting on 3 of them only slightly ,but enough to make noise.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:47 AM   #21 (permalink)
FNG :)

Tom Arnold wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for the info. the front cam thing you talk about makes sense. I will ask those that are more able then I. IF this can fix it I will go gear drive. If that will take half of the noise away I will be pleased, and can live with that. It's just when it sounds like it's ready to come apart makes me uncomfortable to say the least. If this is the fix it's going with billet cam plate and gear drives. I guess Gary Williams will know. Again thanks to all.
Tom Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #22 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

hogger706 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wait till you buy a new harley and makes all the same noises and comes for the factory. This what drives you nuts because they tell this is normal.
hogger706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

Tom Arnold
How did you make out with your persuit?
Old 08-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

itsafatboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Before you go chasing this issue , i would just throw a set of other cams in like ss 625 or something cheep if its quite you have answer , i had woods tw8g did every thing tried every lifter, did every shim , tried diff. spring rates no help , fast closing exhaust ramp speed is the issue, there are other cams that do have power and are not as loud, Tman has a bunch, i am not bashing woods because i still feel his cams hit the hardest , and i loved the TW8G , the TW9b seems to be quite enough for me , in my 116" but just save time anb money test another cam if its quite and has same or close to same lift and TDC lift you have your answer.
RR vented cam plate
Zippers billet heads
HPI 53 mm TB
6.2 gps
Boarzilla - from 05 dyna
4" Primal belt drive 3.23 gearing
bandit clutch

Last edited by itsafatboy; 08-23-2011 at 06:45 PM.
itsafatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
IronButt

C-Cat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nw_guy4_fun View Post
Please let us know what happens
Gary is one sharp dude.
His carbs go on Reher-Morrisons engines or at least they used to. Interesting to see some of the car and snowmobile guys are into Harleys also .

124 ci. 07 Streetbob
107ci. 2011 RGC
C-Cat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #26 (permalink)
Premium Member

towboattrash34 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have the woods 408-6 cam in my 117 and it is very loud. There is nothing u can do to quiet it down. Do like others said change cams to a diff brand is about the only thing I know of.

2012 CVO Ultra. And loving it !!!

06 Dyna Lowrider...Sold..Gone,but not forgotten...
towboattrash34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #27 (permalink)
IronButt

I have the same cams and 117" motor with big heavy valves and 188# valvesprings and the only time I hear anything more than a slight tick is on the hottest of days in traffic. Very quiet overall
Old 08-25-2011, 11:56 PM   #28 (permalink)
Premium Member

towboattrash34 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nw_guy4_fun View Post
I have the same cams and 117" motor with big heavy valves and 188# valvesprings and the only time I hear anything more than a slight tick is on the hottest of days in traffic. Very quiet overall
you are just lucky....... or def....lol they are louder than the fat cat.

2012 CVO Ultra. And loving it !!!

06 Dyna Lowrider...Sold..Gone,but not forgotten...
towboattrash34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #29 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

dbrow6272 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I bought a 2008 FLHTCU that the previous owner had built. He had the TW8G cams installed along with going to 103. I have been riding since 1968. Many different Harleys through the years. Even worked for a couple dealerships and had my own shop for a bit. Did nothing but speed work on shovels and evos. This is the noisiest cam set I have ever endured. I even called Bob Wood, and he just said check the pinion runout. What? I like the idea of swapping cams and seeing what I can come up with. I do not trust this engine for a long trip or even a 500 mile ride. It is back at the dealership at this time and I want them to make it right. I talked with the salesman today and he is going to get on it Monday. If they can't fix it I will be getting a different bike. Too bad I really like the looks of this machine but cannot stand the noise!
Old 11-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #30 (permalink)
Axe Man

BVBOB wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrow6272 View Post
I bought a 2008 FLHTCU that the previous owner had built. He had the TW8G cams installed along with going to 103. I have been riding since 1968. Many different Harleys through the years. Even worked for a couple dealerships and had my own shop for a bit. Did nothing but speed work on shovels and evos. This is the noisiest cam set I have ever endured. I even called Bob Wood, and he just said check the pinion runout. What? I like the idea of swapping cams and seeing what I can come up with. I do not trust this engine for a long trip or even a 500 mile ride. It is back at the dealership at this time and I want them to make it right. I talked with the salesman today and he is going to get on it Monday. If they can't fix it I will be getting a different bike. Too bad I really like the looks of this machine but cannot stand the noise!
I ran the woods 8 in my own bike couldn't stand the noise, swapped out to the very similar Tman 590 silent ramp design cam, lost a little peak power but have better roll on power and a small amount of valve train noise.
553 bd cams
Power duals with re-core cvo
Welded crank

1982 FXRS
new paint
new tires
new brakes
new clutch
Soon to be back on the road

Being honest may not make you a lot of friends but it will always make you the right ones.
BVBOB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.