03 Dyna ignition wiring : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Stu
FNG :)

Stu wants to know Dino or Syn?
03 Dyna ignition wiring

I have an 03 Dyna TC carbuetor engine that I put on softail frame, sort of a hot rod bike. I can't seem to get the igintion to fire. I have the wiring diagram and I've been tracing everything. I didn't want to use the turnsignal module for the space I could save. It seems there is a wire from the igntion module to the turnsignal module named "Ignition enable signal" (LGN/GY). Does this need to see a signal fron the turnsignal module to make the ingintion work? If so, can it be 'fooled' into working? I have traced all the wires for continuity and shorts to ground, no problems. I also have a 2002 Roadking carb. I have been swapping components (module, coil, crank sensor, map sensor) and the roadking starts with all the components from the Dyna motor. This "Ignition enable signal" wire is my last hope! I'm hoping I can put power or ground to this wire and make it work, but I don't want to try that and get it wrong and fry something. Any advice would be appreciated.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Danglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I have an 03 Dyna TC carbuetor engine that I put on softail frame, sort of a hot rod bike. I can't seem to get the igintion to fire. I have the wiring diagram and I've been tracing everything. I didn't want to use the turnsignal module for the space I could save. It seems there is a wire from the igntion module to the turnsignal module named "Ignition enable signal" (LGN/GY). Does this need to see a signal fron the turnsignal module to make the ingintion work? If so, can it be 'fooled' into working? I have traced all the wires for continuity and shorts to ground, no problems. I also have a 2002 Roadking carb. I have been swapping components (module, coil, crank sensor, map sensor) and the roadking starts with all the components from the Dyna motor. This "Ignition enable signal" wire is my last hope! I'm hoping I can put power or ground to this wire and make it work, but I don't want to try that and get it wrong and fry something. Any advice would be appreciated.

Stu
the ignition enable signal needs to see something.this is what is cut by the TSSM to disable the bike if the alarm is tripped.according to my electrical diagnostic manual,that signal should be 4.0-6.0 volts, your standard 5v electronic voltage.

hope this helps

2002 Superglide
2012 Road glide Ultra T-header,T-max,Tuned Induction
Danglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglide View Post
the ignition enable signal needs to see something.this is what is cut by the TSSM to disable the bike if the alarm is tripped.according to my electrical diagnostic manual,that signal should be 4.0-6.0 volts, your standard 5v electronic voltage.

hope this helps
Like the 5v that feeds the MAP sensor..?
Old 03-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

I don't see why that wouldn't work,and would certainly be easier/better than rigging up a resistor or making another 5v source,just as long as it's continous.try it with a jumper first and see if it runs

2002 Superglide
Old 03-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
MaxHeadflow

Bruce Woltz wants to know Dino or Syn?
Assuming a 2 connector module you ground that pin..

Quote:
If you are not using a bank sensor or TSM/TSSM module, you must ground the wire going to pin 10 on the black connector.

Ref

http://daytona-twintec.com/tech_tc88.html

Read the section on custom wiring...
Bruce Woltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

I was referring to pin 10 on the grey connector

2002 Superglide
Old 03-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Stu

There is no wire from the 10 pin on the gray connector. The 10 pin on the black connector is the "ignition enable system" wire. It's LGR/GY. I tried grounding it like it says in the tech article, no spark. I'm going to try the 5 volt thing tomorrow.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
MaxHeadflow

BTW are you cranking with the plug out or in.. No compression the unit may not spark..
Old 03-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Stu

Yes, the plugs are out. I just thought it would be easier on the battery and starter. I'll try with the plugs in.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Stu

Well, I tried everything that was suggested, but still no spark. It could be that I need to wire in the turnsignal module to make it work. The wiring diagram calls it a turn signal/security module. I have no other ideas at this point. I just want to thank everyone for their help. I will let you know the outcome as soon as I figure it out.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

the reason they call it TSM/TSSM,the TSM is without security system,TSSM with it.odd they charge so much more security system as an option,and all it is is a different turn signal module and a remote control..

2002 Superglide
Old 03-28-2010, 11:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
MaxHeadflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Well, I tried everything that was suggested, but still no spark. It could be that I need to wire in the turnsignal module to make it work. The wiring diagram calls it a turn signal/security module. I have no other ideas at this point. I just want to thank everyone for their help. I will let you know the outcome as soon as I figure it out.
I'm running a 2 connector version of the DTT on a semi custom bike with a after market evo harness.. I used an 02 road king carbed harness to splice to the Evo harness.. I grounded the BAS wire to the TSM on pin 10 of the black connector and got spark.. Not sure what your problem is.. Maybe a bad connection someplace else.. What module are you using??
Old 03-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Stu

I'm using module 32478-99A-01142. I also have a borrowed one, 32568-008-03035. My '02 Road King has 32478-99A-01319. The road king will start with any of these modules plugged in. I also have a spare coil and crank sensor. I've checked continuity from the module plugs to each component (coil, MAP, crank sensor,) all grounds, and the power wire. I've also checked from each pin at the module plugs to ground, to be sure no wire has rubbed through and grounded. I'm going to go over the wiring again just to be sure I haven't missed anything.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Stu

I used my Road King as a guinney pig today. I discovered that the voltage at pin 10 is0.5 volts with the key on, engine running or not. I think Danglide was on the right track, but may have seen the numbers wrong. Danglide, would you mind double checking that for me? Thanks.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

my book is saying with the tsm/tssm connector off,the voltage on the LT GN/GY wire from terminal 10 on module should show 4.0-6.0 to ground.I haven't checked that on my bike yet. but since that voltage is checked with the connector off the tsm,that takes it out of the equation.Apparently that voltage is coming out of the module..sent you a p/m with a link that might help..

2002 Superglide

Last edited by Danglide; 04-01-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement