S&S 570 Cams Input : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 05:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Budman wants to know Dino or Syn?
S&S 570 Cams Input

High all. I would like to know what the power range on these cams are and most importantly, do they run quiet.

I'm looking for that rpm range where they are in the zone so to speak. 2000 to 5800, etc, etc. Also, are they quiet....

Thanks
Budman
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 07:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premium octane member

TXCHOP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quiet....Yes in general they are very quiet.

Power range...Well, what the rest of the build? Pipe and compression are big factors in where it "hits".
Old 02-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Budman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well I am currently using Andrews 54 cams, T-Max and an Arlen Ness BS with Bub true duals and Rush 2" mufflers.

I want to use the S&S 570 cams with the auto compression releases. They recommend these for a replacement for the 54H cams.

What I would like to know if these cams have a similar powerspread or not. In the past S&S cams were known for their for their top end drag racing performance.

I would like to use this cam for an 07 FLHT that is an everyday ride.

Tell me what you think.

BubZ
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

DBChoppers wants to know Dino or Syn?
I think you will like the power better with the S&S than your Andrews, the power band should be pretty close to what you have now.

Diamond Bar Choppers
(909) 861-8833
DBChoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

compressor#v wants to know Dino or Syn?
If the heads are ported and your compression is about 10.0:1, then I say yes, you'll like them.
compressor#v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

gautch wants to know Dino or Syn?
ss 570

i have these in my 01 flht, 95 " port and polished heads 10-1 comp.i find the more the motor spins the harder the cams come on, what i didn't like was driving 50 miles an hour in 5 th at 2000 rpm. the bike seamed to be a dog so i changed my primary gearing, droped two teeth on compensator sprocket big differance. what i can say is 2800 rpm the cams are pulling hard.
claude
gautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

nw_guy4_fun wants to know Dino or Syn?
The 570 can work in some cases
I would not attempt it here. Even with compression it will be soggy and difficult to tune.

This cam has added duration on the exhaust side that will not work well for you.
Stick to a single patter design and look at others.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Hillside wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
High all. I would like to know what the power range on these cams are and most importantly, do they run quiet.

I'm looking for that rpm range where they are in the zone so to speak. 2000 to 5800, etc, etc. Also, are they quiet....

Thanks
Budman

Generally speaking a good cam, but seem to be a tick soft on the initial strike, but power delivery cam be helped somewhat via a 4* advance gear, or 4* key in gear-driven application.
Scott
Hillside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Magneeto wants to know Dino or Syn?
I currently did a 95" with the S&S 570g. I had heads ported and polished, compression releases and used screaming eagle 10.25:1 pistons to bump CR to around 10.1:1 (didn't want to mill heads). I have a SEST and I'm breaking in the build(or trying to weather sucks). I have supertrapp xpipes 2into2 exhaust, I know a 2into1 would help bottom out alittle but the sound they produce is wicked. The cams are quiet so far, a little bit of gear noise when cold but not much(have to get used to a little whirring). At idle it sounds better then before and I can definitely tell soon as you start spinning the motor they kick in but I can't get on it until after it is properly Dyno tuned. I don't lug my ride so for me them kicking in at 2800 or so is no problem. Plus I like the feel, kind of like a powerband. I'll keep you posted. 2004 fxstbi. Just make sure you have the compression high enough. 10.0-10.25 Good luck

2004 fxstbi
95"
S&S 570G cams
SE 10.25:1 pistons
BigBoyz Heads
CR: 10.15:1
Rinehart Cross Backs staggered
SE Diaphragm Clutch Spring
SEST
Magneeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Quick update. I now have 130 miles on since winter build. I still haven't had it tuned and I'm trying to take it easy ((almost impossible to do) on the motor until then. I can tell you that when you roll on the throttle in 4th and fifth gear it takes off, hard. I cant wait until its optimized with a full tune because I bet I'm only at 60% of its capability. I am impressed so far. I rolled on the throttl hard in fifth and I looked down and I was at 100 in no time. Like I said earlier I'm having a hard time taking it easy on the motor.

2004 fxstbi
95"
S&S 570G cams
BigBoyz Heads
SEST
Old 03-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
MaxHeadflow

Bruce Woltz wants to know Dino or Syn?
I bet you don't see much if any with the 570 got too much exhaust duration.. If you advance the 54 3 degrees, You'd have the same lobe centers and less exhaust duration.. Should work better on the low end than what ever you get out of the 570..
Bruce Woltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

FLHR2000 wants to know Dino or Syn?
budman, I think you will like the 570 it's a good cam.

Hopefully the Dyno will attach, it's a S&S 570 (blue) laid over a
TW21 (red). Personally I have never found it to be soft on the bottom nor have I found the additional 15 deg of exhaust duration to be an issue. Flow the exhaust enough and you can take advantage of the additional duration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SS570 vs TW21.jpg
Views:	950
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	57824  
FLHR2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

"Hopefully the Dyno will attach, it's a S&S 570 (blue) laid over a
TW21 (red). Personally I have never found it to be soft on the bottom nor have I found the additional 15 deg of exhaust duration to be an issue. Flow the exhaust enough and you can take advantage of the additional duration ." Can you post it via photobucket or email it to me? Thanks

2004 fxstbi
95"
S&S 570G cams
BigBoyz Heads
SEST
Old 03-10-2010, 12:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
MaxHeadflow

Bruce Woltz wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHR2000 View Post
budman, I think you will like the 570 it's a good cam.

Hopefully the Dyno will attach, it's a S&S 570 (blue) laid over a
TW21 (red). Personally I have never found it to be soft on the bottom nor have I found the additional 15 deg of exhaust duration to be an issue. Flow the exhaust enough and you can take advantage of the additional duration.
Yeah but I bet you used a screwed up exhaust.. Like LSD.. or was it LSR?? or is it LSB?
Bruce Woltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Premium Member

hightop wants to know Dino or Syn?
The 570 was probably designed with the crappy 99-05 exhaust port in mind, but since it's not a bolt in on those years due to the springs, how many people run 'em without addressing the ports?
hightop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement