Twin cam head bolts : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

alhd1973 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Twin cam head bolts

Why the torque to 12to14 ft. lbs. then a 1/4 turn? why not a final torque # ? Do you need to replace studs each time?

Last edited by alhd1973; 01-10-2010 at 08:42 PM.
alhd1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

rob71458 wants to know Dino or Syn?
That technique is called "torque to yeild". It's more accurate, and sets the "stretch" of the fastener.
rob71458 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

rbabos wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alhd1973 View Post
Why the torque to 12to14 ft. lbs. then a 1/4 turn? why not a final torque # ? Do you need to replace studs each time?
This is quite often done away with and a set torque used instead. Both stretch the studs. Studs can handle a few cycles of reuse and the engine pros on this site will know better than I do and likely respond to that question.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
everyone has there own way. as Ron indicated.
mine is 42 ft-lbs. final reading.
tighten in sequence @5 ft lbs increments until 35 ft lbs then 7 ft lbs.
I have also screwed up my sequence and went to 40 ft lbs in 5 ft lbs increments then did a 2 ft lbs increment.
never had a head warp or blow a gasket yet.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2010, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Shift_Happens

HarlessR wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
This is quite often done away with and a set torque used instead. Both stretch the studs. Studs can handle a few cycles of reuse and the engine pros on this site will know better than I do and likely respond to that question.
Ron
How many cycles can you reuse the studs?

2005 FLHT
88" Andrews 21N cams
HarlessR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
It has to do with the way the stock gaskets are constructed. If you were to run a plain copper gasket, be sure to use the specs that come with the gasket.

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Coolmaker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerjlk View Post
everyone has there own way. as Ron indicated.
mine is 42 ft-lbs. final reading.
tighten in sequence @5 ft lbs increments until 35 ft lbs then 7 ft lbs.
I have also screwed up my sequence and went to 40 ft lbs in 5 ft lbs increments then did a 2 ft lbs increment.
never had a head warp or blow a gasket yet.
I do the same way, that is the way diesel heads are torqued and never have had one blow.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

HDWRENCH wants to know Dino or Syn?
Studs are usable several times. The OEM stud is a very stong item. If you have an engine that has been apart many times then a new set would not be a bad idea. Or if you are pulling the stud and for whatever reason you need to use a pipe wrench and it gets gouged then replace them. I just pulled a set out of a early engine and they where a mother to get out. Heat double nutted, JIMS stud puller nothing worked. Pipe wrench did get them out with heat but they are toast.
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Shift_Happens

HarlessR wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWRENCH View Post
Studs are usable several times. The OEM stud is a very stong item. If you have an engine that has been apart many times then a new set would not be a bad idea. Or if you are pulling the stud and for whatever reason you need to use a pipe wrench and it gets gouged then replace them. I just pulled a set out of a early engine and they where a mother to get out. Heat double nutted, JIMS stud puller nothing worked. Pipe wrench did get them out with heat but they are toast.
Thanks for that info

2005 FLHT
88" Andrews 21N cams
HarlessR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this? HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
There are times when we have damaged threads on the studs or head bolts such as a burr or anything else that would cause extra friction or resistance as the two where be bolted together. This extra force caused by the problem threads will cause the torque wrench to give a false reading....ie....the final torque will be lighter than the wrench says it is. The 1/4 turn method eliminates the reading of the torque wrench and disregards the extra drag of the problem threads and you end up with a truer final torque.
The auto industry has been doing this method for years, Harley adopted this 1/4 turn method when the EVO was introduced.
Doc
HDMD88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMD88 View Post
There are times when we have damaged threads on the studs or head bolts such as a burr or anything else that would cause extra friction or resistance as the two where be bolted together. This extra force caused by the problem threads will cause the torque wrench to give a false reading....ie....the final torque will be lighter than the wrench says it is. The 1/4 turn method eliminates the reading of the torque wrench and disregards the extra drag of the problem threads and you end up with a truer final torque.
The auto industry has been doing this method for years, Harley adopted this 1/4 turn method when the EVO was introduced.
Doc
Damn it Doc. Why do you have to make sense all the time? I take it, this is your preferred method?
Ron
Old 01-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Coolmaker wants to know Dino or Syn?
I always chase the threads, and use machine oil to eliminate the drag that Doc speaks of. Was taught that many, many years ago.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolmaker View Post
I always chase the threads, and use machine oil to eliminate the drag that Doc speaks of. Was taught that many, many years ago.
I check things out as well, but as you know, torquing a fastener is not always as simple as waiting for the click, to get all 4 equal. Assuming the threads are perfect, those flanges on the head nuts can create considerable variations in torque readings between them. Some stick and drag more than others, especially when sneaking the torque up in increments, even when lubed, since that gets squished out quickly. The tighter it gets the more deviation could happen. With the initial 12-14 or whatever any deviation will be negligable. This small amount, with the extra 90* will not multiply into gross amounts of unequal readings when done. Only pointing out the way I see it, but honestly havn't used the method, yet.
Obviously both methods work.
Ron
Old 01-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Mtclassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
do the 90* method using a beam type torq wrench and unless like HDMD88 says you have a burr or something you will be at ~42-45 ft/lbs.
Mtclassic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I dont like the 90 deg method because to be honest I am a dumbazz and the first time I tried it I stripped a stud in the case.
90 deg that's 1/2 turn RIGHT LOL.
probably would have stripped using 5 ft lbs method also but I like knowing it's there not wondering if it's to tight or not tight enough.
just me everybody has there theories.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.