Se Mva Heads : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

bowtech40 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Se Mva Heads

I just looked up these MVA heads on line, and they have huge valves. Am I missing something here. Are these built for upper RPM horsepower, or would they be a head suited for bagger type torque? It would seem as the MOCO is trying to get in on the hi velocity band wagon. How would these compare to a head such as R&R cast or maybe a Baisley pro street? In the same ballpark, or out in left field?
V&H power dual head pipe
Crusher mellow mufflers
Great tune by BVBOB!
bowtech40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2009, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

FlyingGasCan wants to know Dino or Syn?
Definitely not left field! They flow great down low and have been tested by both Baisley and R&R. Baisley said they were fine left alone after working a set over for Latus, and R&R reported they got a second off the spool up time on the dyno after some port work. Have them on my new build and like them so far. I've had the Stage V R&R heads on two builds as well. I'll know more when we run it on the dyno real soon.
FlyingGasCan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2009, 10:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
You can have a stump puller with smal valves, but with the righ cams and timing, the large valves heads can work well, it really depends on the way the ports are worked.

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2009, 08:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

todd comer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Must be a pretty nice head when Baisley and R&R approves them.
todd comer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

nw_guy4_fun wants to know Dino or Syn?
Let's take a look at that
They approve them? What does that mean? I suspect they tried to get more airflow and on the flow bench they didn't make a lot of headway. HD is not new to making airflow, remember the HTCC CNC head? 300cfm intake and was that the right pick for most riders? Well it is discontinued and the SE Performance head is still here with the updated motor mounts and 06up flange pattern. Does that say anything? On a 95" motor very few got good power or tq from the HD CNC head but that is not totally because of the heads airflow characteristics nonetheless the big ports shifted the torque band way to the right and with a big cam ran right out the back door and required a lot of downshifting.
Nothing against the heads but if dollars and sense matters a reworked 110 head suits most builds better and the cost is 60% less. And as far as the MVA or even a high flow 110 head being the ideal choice for a few motors and builds that is true, for most it is not. In the words of Dewey
"BIG HO ,NO FLO"
Well not totally true airflow bench looks good until you probe and measure velocity.
nw_guy4_fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Good points and again, Baisley and R&R didn't each try a set to approve of them. For one they wanted to see if they could improve on them, and secondly I would suspect they just wanted to get hold of a set and see what the MOCO had come up with. I was a bit doubtful on the large valves until a couple head porters I know looked at the port design and said the CNC porting looked good.

Sure you can run a smaller valve and get more velocity but I think the MOCO did enough work designing the ports to come up with a winner. Mike Stegman at Latus HD sent a set over to Dan Baisley to port and after a lot of work Baisley reported they should run them out of the box as there was little gain for the effort they put into them. That's a plus I guess?

When I asked Reg Sr. about them, he said they were a nice head and that they worked over a set. I told Reg about Baisleys trial and asked if he made any gains with them. He said they welded a set and ported them. The only gain achieved according to Reg was a pick up on the time to get them to spin up on a dyno motor and never said anything negative about them. I got a new set in a swap with a buddy of mine and they bolt right up to the 09 mounts so it was a no brainer to try them out. Like em so far!
Old 04-25-2009, 04:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

rob71458 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Don't mean to hijack the thread but since we are talking about SE110 heads, I have black 07 set for sale.

Last edited by rob71458; 04-25-2009 at 04:54 PM.
rob71458 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nw_guy4_fun View Post
Let's take a look at that
They approve them? What does that mean? I suspect they tried to get more airflow and on the flow bench they didn't make a lot of headway. HD is not new to making airflow, remember the HTCC CNC head? 300cfm intake and was that the right pick for most riders? Well it is discontinued and the SE Performance head is still here with the updated motor mounts and 06up flange pattern. Does that say anything? On a 95" motor very few got good power or tq from the HD CNC head but that is not totally because of the heads airflow characteristics nonetheless the big ports shifted the torque band way to the right and with a big cam ran right out the back door and required a lot of downshifting.
Nothing against the heads but if dollars and sense matters a reworked 110 head suits most builds better and the cost is 60% less. And as far as the MVA or even a high flow 110 head being the ideal choice for a few motors and builds that is true, for most it is not. In the words of Dewey
"BIG HO ,NO FLO"
Well not totally true airflow bench looks good until you probe and measure velocity.
first question, what size are these BIG valves in the mva head.

second question, when dan and reggie said they couldnt improve the mva much, did that mean they were great heads, or mediocre heads that no matter what was done, they couldnt improve them much?

it makes a big difference how you say it doesnt it?

big ho, no flow.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

nw_guy4_fun wants to know Dino or Syn?
That is a lot of good gear and on the surface looks to be matched. If what you say is true to be competitive with similar offerings in an 07up bike (6sp) I would expect 125hp and 135lb tq peak and 100+tq by 2500 with a big wide torque curve. That is a big motor and in theory those heads should match it well, a dyno in SAE would tell the story.
The MVA has a 2.120 Intake and 1.625 EX and cast ports on the SE110 are already large similar to the old CNC ported head

Last edited by nw_guy4_fun; 04-25-2009 at 05:31 PM.
nw_guy4_fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

NW GUY, ae the mva and 110 heads the same? maybe i read that wrong.

sorry if i jumped in the middle of you answering someone else.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

NW...I am shooting for numbers close to that but might see them a little lower at the 5000' altitude here. I know the WinPep software compensates and corrects for altitude, but also know people who dyno bikes up here often get better numbers at other dyno shops closer to sea level. Like you said though, we will see when the dyno is done and that will happen pretty soon. I'll post SAE numbers in 4th, 5th, 6th for those that want them.

Dennis, I spoke with both Reg @ R&R as well as Mike Stegman at Latus and one of the Baisley boys about the heads. The feedback I got from from each of them was favorable, not negative so I am trusting they did pretty well testing these heads. The info that came from Baisley was a more positive tone and comment so taking from that, I'm gonna say they were somewhat impressed. (not gonna say great as the proof is in the pudding and my verdict is out until I run the numbers)

The MVA heads have a 2.125 intake as where (if correct) the 110+ heads have 2.080. The port designs are different and a friend of mine who is a head porter and tuner has gotten better numbers using the MVA heads than he did with ported 110+ heads. More info on these heads will surface as they are used more but so far reports are good. Are they as good as a prepped set of Baisley's or Stage V R&R heads, I doubt it...but think they are getting closer to being there. Got these for free and they matched the rest of the build so I'm diggin it. More later
Old 04-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

thanks gascan!!!!! sounds like good stuff. yaknow the internet leaves lots to interpretation. looking forward to heaing how they work for ya!!! man, those are some biggass valves huh?
Old 04-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Hillside wants to know Dino or Syn?
We have witnessed STELLAR results with the 110 heads we have re-worked.
Hillside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Let er rip!

oh1deuce wants to know Dino or Syn?
I think the cat down in Iowa nailed the low 130's on a 110" with the R&R reworks.

107" built by Hyperformance aka King of Cubes
R&R St. V cast heads
R&R 615/585's
R&R Cam plate
R&R Roller Rockers
oh1deuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2009, 10:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
43 ft/lbs of Doof

Mercury wants to know Dino or Syn?
I read the MVA heads are set up for automatic compression releases. Since my Softail Custom doesn't come that way, what would be my options as far as compression releases? I've been looking at those heads and the 103+ heads for my 113/or 117 project later this year. I'm leaning towards the 103+ heads with mechanical compression releases. Opinions? FGC, can't wait to see some dyno #'s on your build.

*2007 FXSTC 103*
103+ Heads, 50mm Throttle Body, Andrews 54 H Cams
PC 111, Rinehart 2 into 1's
108 HP 112 FP/T SAE
Built by Me
Tuned by Jesse @ 41 Cycles

Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.