1985 FXWG belt drive?! : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2003, 11:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Bot
IronButt

Bot wants to know Dino or Syn?
1985 FXWG belt drive?!

My bike: 1985 FXWG
80 ci enging with a 4 spd (electric AND kick start) tranny with a belt final drive.

My problem: Serious leak in the tranny, this after I just had the top end overhauled. Anyway, my indy dealer tells me that there wasn't a 4spd tranny with a belt-drive in 1985, at least not on an FXWG. He thinks it was added using a kit from an FXB (Sturgis) or an FXST. (which DID have unique combination).

My question: Does anyone know if this true? If the indy dealer can't locate OEM parts, where might I find parts for this abomination? ~Bot
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2003, 06:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

bigtone wants to know Dino or Syn?
4 speed belt drive

Yes, they did make a belt drive 1985 wide glide. Friend of mine has one, bought it new. I have also seen a few more of them. I believe they also made a low rider version, same bike with the narrow glide front. One major difference between the belt drive 4 speed trans that year, is they put a quad seal behind the sprocket spacer like the 5 speeds have, to stop the oil from leaking on and ruining the belt....I'd have to wonder about a wrench that doesnt know this. He probably thinks that they never made a 5 speed rubber mount shovel either.
bigtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 07:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Bot
IronButt

Exclamation more 4spd belt drive

Son of a GUN!
I am glad you posted this tid-bit of info, bigtone. This particular indy wrench is driving me nuts! He comes very highly recommended in the area (?) has about 30 yrs of wrenching experience in a dealership. Could explain his bike-side manner... He tells me if the phone would stop ringing, he might be able to get to my bike. I've called twice in 5 days...
Oh well, I guess if I wanted to be called "Mr...." and "would you like a cappicino while you wait", I should've bought a Lexus instead...

Any chance you could connect me with your friend with the 85 FXWG with the stock belt?! I'd would like nothing better than to show up to the dealer with documentation that this is not a chop (butchered) mod. He may be trying to get parts off an 85 FXST or FXB, when he can get the freakin' original parts off an FXWG! Course, if he don't ask for them, he won't get them.

Also, my service manual keeps referring to a "late 85" WG. Possible he is 1/2 right? (Chain final drive early, Belt final later in '85)

I think he wants to sell me a new 5 (or 6) speed tranny. I can think of about 3,500 (min) reasons why he'd want to do that.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
I would think the service manual would tell you the info about the belt. The parts manual will also show the breakdown of the VIN and identify a early model vs late model.
Ed Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 07:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Bot
IronButt

One would think that, as I did. Its probably is in there, I just haven't found it yet. I guess I'll dive into it more in depth when I get time.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
FNG :)

JoeMotley wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a 85 FXWG belt drive and yes it is factory according to page 6-7 of the #99482-87 manual. It is a show stopper for even veteran bike riders and rare I am told, the senior mechanic and both his boys stopped working to do a walk around when it was being inspected for license. It was impressive to see an experienced mechanic in an established shop take an interest. According to the manual schematic the 'early' model has a square bracket for the blinker unit under the seat while the 'late' model has a round blinker unit.
Keep me up to speed on anything connected to the bike as I can use any lessons learned.
JoeMotley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

hardtail1969 wants to know Dino or Syn?
85 fxwg

well want to hear something kinda funny then..i went to the local dealer y-day to get new headbolts for mine...well they asked if i had an early model or a late model..well i kinda figured it was later model since it had rear belt drive..so when i got home i discovered that the head bolts were different..so i went back to get the other headbolts..which were for earlier model..well now that i seen ur post...the blinker bracket is squared on mine...wish i could have seen this post before hand..do u happen to know torgue specs for head bolts?...thanx matt
hardtail1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 10:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Y2K
IronButt

Y2K wants to know Dino or Syn?
They made 'em alright....I knew a guy with an '83 Shovelhead Wide Glide that was a 4 speed/kick & electric start with the twin belt drive like a Sturgis and it was bone stock that way.
Not many of those made but they do exist.
Found this one on cycle trader..........
http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/4/1/83576441.htm

Last edited by Y2K; 05-14-2006 at 11:26 PM.
Y2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

RIDETOEAT wants to know Dino or Syn?
It's on ebay also now........
RIDETOEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Highly Seasoned Rider!

newultraclassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bot
Son of a GUN!
I am glad you posted this tid-bit of info, bigtone. This particular indy wrench is driving me nuts! He comes very highly recommended in the area (?) has about 30 yrs of wrenching experience in a dealership. Could explain his bike-side manner... He tells me if the phone would stop ringing, he might be able to get to my bike. I've called twice in 5 days...
Oh well, I guess if I wanted to be called "Mr...." and "would you like a cappicino while you wait", I should've bought a Lexus instead...

Any chance you could connect me with your friend with the 85 FXWG with the stock belt?! I'd would like nothing better than to show up to the dealer with documentation that this is not a chop (butchered) mod. He may be trying to get parts off an 85 FXST or FXB, when he can get the freakin' original parts off an FXWG! Course, if he don't ask for them, he won't get them.

Also, my service manual keeps referring to a "late 85" WG. Possible he is 1/2 right? (Chain final drive early, Belt final later in '85)

I think he wants to sell me a new 5 (or 6) speed tranny. I can think of about 3,500 (min) reasons why he'd want to do that.

I'm pretty sure that some of the early Evo WG's had belt drive with four speed. The late Shovelhead FL's had four speeds with belt drive. Also, the 1984 Shovel FXSB had a belt with four speed.

AFAIK, there are few parts for any 1985 bike at the Harley Dealer. They will ljust laugh at you if you ask for them.

You also need another mechanic.

Last edited by newultraclassic; 05-15-2006 at 10:14 AM.
newultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:07 AM   #11 (permalink)

MotleySTL wants to know Dino or Syn?
My 85 FXWG is chain primary, belt seconday, kick and electric start, 4-speed stock.
Late 85 models have the round blinker bracket while early have a square bracket.

Torque?
Tighten in proper sequence all the way around to 7 lbs, tighten again all the way around to 16 lbs.

Front cylinder

1 2

3 4

Rear cylinder

2 4

1 3

Following the same sequence 90degree turn, the procedure is complete

85 FXWG EvoService Manual 85-87 FX/Softails #99482-87

If anyone finds a 5 or 6 speed let me know. I have been looking for 2 years they are NOT available for the 85 Evo.
MotleySTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 04:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

98fxstc wants to know Dino or Syn?
My 1984 FLHS is 4-speed electric & kicker with chain primary and belt final drive.
98fxstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 08:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member

RIDETOEAT wants to know Dino or Syn?
That Bike Is Awsome ................

(Current)
02 Road King, 07 Street Glide (for sale), 10 Streetglide
RIDETOEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

MotleySTL wants to know Dino or Syn?

Hey BOT, I met you at the Chili Burn 2004. Hope all is well. ptl
MotleySTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Premium Member

dmac122 wants to know Dino or Syn?
My avitar is a picture of my '85 FXWG that I sold last year.
dmac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement