High Oil Pressure : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

plongson wants to know Dino or Syn?
High Oil Pressure

I installed a Baisley spring during the HQ-34 cam install. With the weather being cold, start-up oil pressures can EASILY peg my 0-60 HD gauge and I suspect it is making 80 psi at times. I REALLY have to baby it for 10 minutes or so, to keep it below 60. Once the motor is warm, 185f, 2800 rpm = 45-50 psi.

QUSTION: What do you risk damaging on these motors with excessive oil pressures?? Oil pump damage, "O"rings, gasketed and flanged mating surfaces blowing out etc...or is there really no risk of high pressure damage.

I just got a replacement 100 psi gauge because I've blown the guts out of gauges at work, that were pegged and it's NOT as pretty sight.

plongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2008, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

TheNowhereman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hmmmm, I'm happy to hold 15 psi at idle after warm up.
And my engine is only 4k old..
TheNowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

nighttrain67 wants to know Dino or Syn?
That much oil pressure is not a good thing. I would definately let it warm up before hammering it or you could end up with some bearing issues.

2002 NightTrain 117 inch
R&R Stage V Heads (83cc), JE Flat Tops (11.5:1), TR650G Cams, Delkron Cam Plate, Fueling Oil Pump, S&S Roller Rockers, "B" Lifters with limiters, Rivera Brute III Extreme, Mik. 48/Wood Air Cleaner, D&D Black Low Cat, Baker OD6 "R" Ratio, .80 OD
nighttrain67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Coolmaker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Have the Fueling cam plate, race oil pump, stretched spring (.050 plus). Pressure at startup is 60+, let it idle for a few and all is good. Runs about 45-50 at 2600-3000 after warm. It will not harm anything, oil cannot wash out a bearing.. Unless it has allot of abrasive material in it...
Old 12-28-2008, 08:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium octane member

TXCHOP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Did you check the plunger movement when you installed the spring? Some times they can bind up a bit. I have never gotten that much pressure with the lmr2 spring.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

rbabos wants to know Dino or Syn?
Way too much pressure. Too much oil pressure will actually raise the oil temps, loads the pump too much and eat up some hp. Too much oil in the head area will cause carry over into the breather as well. In cold weather, it wouldn't hurt to leave a hair drier or heat lamp under the sump to preheat the oil some before startup. Even though the pressure reading maybe high, the oil is not splashing like it should for the cylinders and lubrication is actually less than it should be. 35-45 psi at temp is more than enough.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

plongson wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks guys,

Ya, I pulled the plunger and made sure it floated freely so I'm confident its not binding. I also don't think its binding because the pressure doesn't just slam and peg the gauge, it floats and fluctuates and you can tell it is dumping oil.

This Baisley really has a different pressure curve than what I was expecting to see. The LMR-2 spring is only a 15% spring so we're only talking 3-5 psi or so more...but excuse the hell out of me, no one I've talked to has seen pressure that low with a Baisley. I didn't have a pressure problem going into this project and if I had a "Do Over" I'm not sure I'd install this spring, BUT...I'll wait until it's summer and it is 120f here in Southern Nevada...I might be real glad it's in there.

For now once warm, all is well, it idles at 20... and 40-50 at 3k. If there were no gauge, you'd never even have a clue. I have a new 0-100 psi gauge going on this morning, mainly so I don't damage the 0-60. So for now I'll just continue to baby it until things warm up.

Oh, just for reference, I'm running Mobil 1 V-twin 20w-50. The low here yesterday was 24f and the high was 45f.

plongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

nighttrain67 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had the same issues as your having with the LMR spring on both mine and my wifes softails. I even lived in Vegas and still had high oil pressure....too high for my liking, so I put stock springs and stretched them bit. Pressure is perfect.

2002 NightTrain 117 inch
R&R Stage V Heads (83cc), JE Flat Tops (11.5:1), TR650G Cams, Delkron Cam Plate, Fueling Oil Pump, S&S Roller Rockers, "B" Lifters with limiters, Rivera Brute III Extreme, Mik. 48/Wood Air Cleaner, D&D Black Low Cat, Baker OD6 "R" Ratio, .80 OD
nighttrain67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

06roadglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by plongson View Post
Thanks guys,

Ya, I pulled the plunger and made sure it floated freely so I'm confident its not binding. I also don't think its binding because the pressure doesn't just slam and peg the gauge, it floats and fluctuates and you can tell it is dumping oil.

I may not be understanding you correctly but it sounds as if your thinking that the spring is letting the plunger move freely and the gauge represents that fact.

Actually you won't see the gauge moving when the plunger is dumping oil. Lets say your sring allows the plunger to open at 60 psi, the plunger will only move enough for the pump to maintain and hold 60 psi until the pump can no longer build that amount of pressure then it will close. The floating or fluctuating that you see from the gauge is the pump simply building more pressure at higher engine speeds and then settling back when idling.
06roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Mtclassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had the same high oil pressure with the baisley spring. I ran it for about 20,000 miles with no problems but I eventually pulled it out on a subsequent cam change. It just buggedme pegging the guage at cold start up.
Mtclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I know some will disagree with this. or get pissed off!
When I was installing my cams I considered using one my self. (baisley LMR/ 1or2).
So i started asking around, 1st pm'ed Dennis (claydbal) he stated there wasent any reason to use them in the 07 up. But he puts them in the earlier pumps as a courtesy. Ok I had heard that before, so I accepted that. But I am one to always turn these kind of things into a research project LOL. So I ask my buddy who works at a dealership what he thinks about them . He stated that he has not installed any but taken a lot of them out. He also stated that he sees a lot of problems with sumping ,blow bye, seeping gaskets with these various springs. In defense or support of the springs he said he has seen some bikes come in with them with no problems. 3-5 extra Pd's wont hurt anything but 30- 40 is another story. He also said he sees a lot of sumping because of DIYSers not getting the pump aligned right this and the combination of the high pressure caused by the spring is disaster. I am in no way bashing any one for using them, if you get the pump lined up and only have 3-5 extra Pd's then all should be good. And the guys using them are obviously having good luck with only the little extra pressure.
I just think in this case that more is not always better. (30- 40 extra pd's)
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Arrogant Bastard

jasilva wants to know Dino or Syn?
Plongson, you should really consider running a thinner oil in winter conditions, especially where your located(I'm assuming somewhere in NE Nevada near Bonneville?). I have the LMR2 spring in my bike and I'm running 15w-40 Delo 400 dino oil for the first 1k miles on a new build. I get about 55-60psi on start up and 45-50 psi at 3k rpm after warm and 20 psi at idle. This is in 35-50 degree temps.

Joe
Isaiah 6:1-9
jasilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement