T-Man 625 cams or Woods 9-B cams ?? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 04:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

towboattrash34 wants to know Dino or Syn?
T-Man 625 cams or Woods 9-B cams ??

just asking for my 95" with GMR/R&R welded heads i was thinking of going to the Woods 9b or T-Man 625 cams... any suggestions?? compression will be around 10.8 or so.

2012 CVO Ultra. And loving it !!!

06 Dyna Lowrider...Sold..Gone,but not forgotten...
towboattrash34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2008, 08:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
look under the right front of the head, jot down those numbers and call reggie at RRCYCLES. since he built the heads, (GMR just took the order). reggie can look at the head build sheets and give you a much better answer. welding really controls velocities.

just as important, he will tell for sure how much lift they were set up to handle and what spring pressure.

then there is the CC, so you can start figuring how you are going to get to thee compression for whichever cam.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2008, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

HDWRENCH wants to know Dino or Syn?
R&R does in fact weld those up for us, however there are no numbers on that head. As we have them do the casting/ welding work rest is done here in house. You springs are set at 175lbs on the seat. With a max lift of 650. I have not used the t man cam ( so I cannot help you there) but I the 9b is a extremely nice cam. With that welded head being such a high velocity the 10.8 compression would work very well together.
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2008, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Moneygreen

arealinvestor wants to know where he is and how he got here
I'd go with the Woods 9B!!!!!! You can't go wrong!!!!

2010 Ultra Classic Hot Rod Built & Tuned by JD's
BB & Baisley Hybrid Heads with man/Comp releases
Axtell Pistons & Cylinders set with high comp,Big CCP
Darkhorse Stroker Crank,balanced,plugged & welded
Woods A/C kit & Lifters
T-Man gear crank set
High Flow HPI Inj & BB TBW Throttle body
D&D Boarzilla (perforated baffle)
Lenale cooling fan
Jagg 10 row oil cooler
K&P engineering oil filter
To much more to list!!!!!!
arealinvestor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Coonass Extraordinaire

beaureed445 wants to know Dino or Syn?
What about the R&R 615/585 cam? Randy swears by this cam at 10.8:1 compression.
beaureed445 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 06:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

towboattrash34 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydbal View Post
look under the right front of the head, jot down those numbers and call reggie at RRCYCLES. since he built the heads, (GMR just took the order). reggie can look at the head build sheets and give you a much better answer. welding really controls velocities.

just as important, he will tell for sure how much lift they were set up to handle and what spring pressure.

then there is the CC, so you can start figuring how you are going to get to thee compression for whichever cam.
i had Steve set the heads up for a bigger cam with just a head gasket change... so the heads flow rate and springs are not a problem...

i was just woundering about the t-man 625 cam... i know the 9-b would be a bad ass...

2012 CVO Ultra. And loving it !!!

06 Dyna Lowrider...Sold..Gone,but not forgotten...
towboattrash34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

nighttrain67 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by towboattrash34 View Post
i had Steve set the heads up for a bigger cam with just a head gasket change....
Not understanding that comment...

2002 NightTrain 117 inch
R&R Stage V Heads (83cc), JE Flat Tops (11.5:1), TR650G Cams, Delkron Cam Plate, Fueling Oil Pump, S&S Roller Rockers, "B" Lifters with limiters, Rivera Brute III Extreme, Mik. 48/Wood Air Cleaner, D&D Black Low Cat, Baker OD6 "R" Ratio, .80 OD
nighttrain67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 08:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWRENCH View Post
R&R does in fact weld those up for us, however there are no numbers on that head. As we have them do the casting/ welding work rest is done here in house. You springs are set at 175lbs on the seat. With a max lift of 650. I have not used the t man cam ( so I cannot help you there) but I the 9b is a extremely nice cam. With that welded head being such a high velocity the 10.8 compression would work very well together.

So Steve, are you saying you install the guides, install the valves and do a valve job, install springs and setup installed heights, check retainer to guide clearance, install seals on blank machined heads that Reggie sends you? It would seem to be a whole lot easier to recieve a ready to bolt on head from Reggie. If that, in fact is the arrangement you have, who warranties the head if there is an issue? You could say it is on R&R and if I were Reggie, I would say it is on you. Too many hands in the cookie jar....
If your just installing valves that have already had their seats cut and springs/retainers/keepers, your claims are a little misleading, wouldn't you say?

2002 NightTrain 117 inch
R&R Stage V Heads (83cc), JE Flat Tops (11.5:1), TR650G Cams, Delkron Cam Plate, Fueling Oil Pump, S&S Roller Rockers, "B" Lifters with limiters, Rivera Brute III Extreme, Mik. 48/Wood Air Cleaner, D&D Black Low Cat, Baker OD6 "R" Ratio, .80 OD

Last edited by nighttrain67; 12-21-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain67 View Post
So Steve, are you saying you install the guides, install the valves and do a valve job, install springs and setup installed heights, check retainer to guide clearance, install seals on blank machined heads that Reggie sends you? It would seem to be a whole lot easier to recieve a ready to bolt on head from Reggie. If that, in fact, is the arrangement you have, who warranties the head if there is an issue. You could say it is on R&R and if I were Reggie, I would say it is on you. Too many hands in the cookie jar....
If your just installing valves that have already had their seats cut and springs/retainers/keepers, your comments are a little misleading, wouldn't you say?
Torq Monster Motorworks
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2008, 07:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain67 View Post
So Steve, are you saying you install the guides, install the valves and do a valve job, install springs and setup installed heights, check retainer to guide clearance, install seals on blank machined heads that Reggie sends you? It would seem to be a whole lot easier to recieve a ready to bolt on head from Reggie. If that, in fact is the arrangement you have, who warranties the head if there is an issue? You could say it is on R&R and if I were Reggie, I would say it is on you. Too many hands in the cookie jar....
If your just installing valves that have already had their seats cut and springs/retainers/keepers, your claims are a little misleading, wouldn't you say?

A couple of days......No Response.....I guess I have my answer.

2002 NightTrain 117 inch
Old 12-23-2008, 08:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by towboattrash34 View Post
i had Steve set the heads up for a bigger cam with just a head gasket change... so the heads flow rate and springs are not a problem...

i was just woundering about the t-man 625 cam... i know the 9-b would be a bad ass...

so, sounds like you are wanting to move more to the right? i know that woods 7 is snatching the rear end around, i think the 9 would really destroy some tires.

you mention the head being setup so you could run a bigger cam with just a head gasket change?? i dont understand.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2008, 09:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

So Steve, are you saying you install the guides, install the valves and do a valve job, install springs and setup installed heights, check retainer to guide clearance, install seals on blank machined heads that Reggie sends you? It would seem to be a whole lot easier to receive a ready to bolt on head from Reggie. If that, in fact is the arrangement you have, who warranties the head if there is an issue? You could say it is on R&R and if I were Reggie, I would say it is on you. Too many hands in the cookie jar....

NT , you posted on Sunday I have a shop to run, did not get a chance to see the post until today. Relax....

NT you took a comment ran with it and then called it misleading??? I did not think I had list it by item by item to ensure that my comment was stated correctly. But since you asked here you go.

R&R does the casting work, have guides installed,. yes that is fact I set up the spring packs( springs I choose to use, guide height, spring pressure, install the seals, deck the heads, machine comp releases, if needed.. etc. All valve work in house is done using a goodson 3d fast cutting system in the bridge port, full radius cutters are used. As well same tool is used for doing the street ports that are done 100% on house from with new guides AVV or Rowe, new valves, ..oh bowl cutters are 3-d fast as well. On a a full cast head like you have R&R sets those up about 99% of the time. If I do any work on those it is only setting chamber volume. Or a freshening up of a set for what ever reason. We have all of the tools to perform any and all cylinder head work in house. That includes the ability to weld a head if repair is needed.

This works for us as I have them cut cores up front we use what we need when we need them and set them up for what is being put together. Due to the large quantity of heads / packages that we sell this works out best for us..
I have to say I fail to understand why it matters how we do the heads or why we do it the way we choose. If it is OK with Reggie that is good enough for me.

Clay, Towboat wanted us to make sure that with minimal work he could swap out to a larger cam. SO up front we set up the spring pack to handle a 650 lift cam, we also decked the heads to provide the compression he wanted with that cam he had with a .040 head gasket with a h/g swap to a .030 he will gain the compression he wants to use a larger cam. Everything else is in place done deal.

As you know there is only so much you can gain but you can split the difference. We do this on a regular basis for guys that want to try one or two cams. Mainly they have a cam they want to use at that point , and may go to another later. If not no problem one way or the other.

Last edited by HDWRENCH; 12-23-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
NT ,I have to say I fail to understand why it matters how we do the heads or why we do it the way we choose. If it is OK with Reggie that is good enough for me.
I don't loose any sleep over it Steve.....Just asking. It just seems you overstate things at times as to your taking credit for other peoples work. I seem to remember a couple years ago you touting the GMR 615 cams that you developed....When in reality in was actually developed by R&R and Speeds Performance. I have seen descriptions of CV carbs on your website when you first developed it where you lead the consumer to believe you did the mods in house, when in fact they were Wood carbs. That kind of stuff is just flat out misleading to customers that think you are doing this stuff in house. You have a great reputation, Steve, you don't need to take credit for other peoples work.....that is all I am saying. No problems.

2002 NightTrain 117 inch

Last edited by nighttrain67; 12-23-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

No I do the cv carbs in house as well. I do buy parts from woods and do the mods myself. I like his float bowl spacers, and the titanium needles, the rest of the work is done by my own hands. In fact just did one the other day. If a customer wants a woods I am happy to to offer that as well. Not not hard to bore a carb or throttle body really.

I have a pic on my site of a carb that I did.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
No I do the cv carbs in house as well. I do buy parts from woods and do the mods myself. I like his float bowl spacers, and the titanium needles, the rest of the work is done by my own hands. In fact just did one the other day. If a customer wants a woods I am happy to to offer that as well. Not not hard to bore a carb or throttle body really.

I have a pic on my site of a carb that I did.
Steve.....does or does you website state that you in house machine work includes: "Case boring, Timken Conversion, Compression Releases, Cylinder Head Services, Including Welding?
http://www.gmrperformance.com/index....d=48&Itemid=56

Do you have boring machines, lathes, milling machines? I don't see any in any of the pics of your shop. All I see is a parts cleaner, and a blasting cabinet, a tire changer, tire balancer, and maybe a drill press. I don't even see a friggin' welder....

2002 NightTrain 117 inch

Last edited by nighttrain67; 12-23-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.