Adjustable pushrods for 124"? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

todd comer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Adjustable pushrods for 124"?

Who makes the best adjustable pushrods for 124" which allows cams to be changed without removing the top end?Have the adjustable Smith Brothers in my present 98" but have to remove the top end to change cams.Plan on trying a few cams in the future 124" such as the R&R 615.Many will say that cam is way to small for such a large engine but in my opinion would be a great torque monster for baggers.Rarely do i go over 5000 rpms.Notice how the 640g is getting replaced with such cams as the Woods 9b to improve the bottom end.
todd comer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Hillside wants to know Dino or Syn?
We use a lot of S&S pushrods.
Hillside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Location: Land Of The Free and Home Of The Brave, United States Of America
1711tab wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd comer View Post
Who makes the best adjustable pushrods for 124" which allows cams to be changed without removing the top end?Have the adjustable Smith Brothers in my present 98" but have to remove the top end to change cams.Plan on trying a few cams in the future 124" such as the R&R 615.Many will say that cam is way to small for such a large engine but in my opinion would be a great torque monster for baggers.Rarely do i go over 5000 rpms.Notice how the 640g is getting replaced with such cams as the Woods 9b to improve the bottom end.

Rivera TaperLites & Smith Brothers also make excellent adjustable pushrods...

Randy "KOC" / HYPERFORMANCE custom machined a set for me...

Randy also has Rivera TaperLites for sale...
1711tab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

I assume that the 124" does take a longer pushrod compared to a 95" or 98".
Old 10-17-2008, 06:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

splitting_lanes wants to know Dino or Syn?
There is plenty of adjustment.... in adjustable pushrods
Old 10-17-2008, 09:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

chunngle wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1711tab View Post
Rivera TaperLites & Smith Brothers also make excellent adjustable pushrods...

Randy "KOC" / HYPERFORMANCE custom machined a set for me...

Randy also has Rivera TaperLites for sale...
Tim did you have a rubbing issue? Is that why randy machined yours? What size? I have a problem with my rear exhaust rubbing and making a lot of annoying racket.
chunngle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2008, 07:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Rick,which brand push rod are you running? Can you remove the cams without taking the top end apart?Mark thought if you adjusted the rods all the way in,removed the bottom lifter covers,lifters at there lowest point, that the pushrods could slide out.Tried that theory when I installed the stage V kit but still could not get the pushrod high enough over the lifter edge.Thinking that the 124" sits higher therfore this might just work but are the Smith Bro.'s made to extend that far out?They sure have alot of thread that goes in the rod.Never had any rubbing problems with this particular rod.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunngle View Post
Tim did you have a rubbing issue? Is that why randy machined yours? What size? I have a problem with my rear exhaust rubbing and making a lot of annoying racket.
Yes they rubbed... He made me a tapered set 9 1/4" long when they were colapsed completely... He also made the pushrod covers and they are thin, real thin walled covers...
Old 10-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd comer View Post
Rick,which brand push rod are you running? Can you remove the cams without taking the top end apart?Mark thought if you adjusted the rods all the way in,removed the bottom lifter covers,lifters at there lowest point, that the pushrods could slide out.Tried that theory when I installed the stage V kit but still could not get the pushrod high enough over the lifter edge.Thinking that the 124" sits higher therfore this might just work but are the Smith Bro.'s made to extend that far out?They sure have alot of thread that goes in the rod.Never had any rubbing problems with this particular rod.
Todd,
I had the Smith Bros adjustables and you have to remove the rocker boxes in order to get them out. In my infinite wisdom I tried a set of the screaming eagle tapered adjustables that you can install by just removing the lifter covers. I am having a problem with the rear exhaust rubbing and clattering. Looks like I will be pulling the rocker boxes off in the very near future. BTW for anyone with the TP rocker boxes. The rear is real pain in the a$$ to get on and off while in the bike.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Todd,
I had the Smith Bros adjustables and you have to remove the rocker boxes in order to get them out. In my infinite wisdom I tried a set of the screaming eagle tapered adjustables that you can install by just removing the lifter covers. I am having a problem with the rear exhaust rubbing and clattering. Looks like I will be pulling the rocker boxes off in the very near future. BTW for anyone with the TP rocker boxes. The rear is real pain in the a$$ to get on and off while in the bike.

How much taller are the TP boxes than the stock HD boxes???
Old 10-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

HDWRENCH wants to know Dino or Syn?
The reason we use the smith brothers that they make for us is the rubbing issue. Yes you have to remove the rocker boxs but there is little else you can do. Try the quick installs manily they end up creating more issues than solving. The S&S versions are very stong and wrok well other than the 7/16 tubing size. Again back to the reason for smith bros making us rods.
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Tim,
The TP boxes are about 2 1/4" all around. The biggest problem is the four allen screws in the top corners of the TP covers. There is no offset for the screws like there is on the stock covers. I had to cut down an allen wrench quite a bit in order to get it to fit between the backbone and the top of box for the rear left screw. I'm sure you have less room than I do. Might need to pull the motor anytime you need to get in there.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Tim,
The TP boxes are about 2 1/4" all around. The biggest problem is the four allen screws in the top corners of the TP covers. There is no offset for the screws like there is on the stock covers. I had to cut down an allen wrench quite a bit in order to get it to fit between the backbone and the top of box for the rear left screw. I'm sure you have less room than I do. Might need to pull the motor anytime you need to get in there.

Thanks Rick...
Old 10-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Steve,will these GMR Smith bro. adjustable pushrods that are presently in my 98" work in a 124"?Can anyone tell me how much higher a 4 5/8" stroke 124" is compared to a 98"?
Old 10-19-2008, 06:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Premium Member

pwmorris wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Tim,
If you've got a rubber mounted engine I've just dropped the front motor mount and it gives you plenty of room to remove the rear rocker box. On solid mounts, I've drilled 2 holes in the frame above the allens of the rear rocker box and gone in from the top.
Lightened up the bike a little!
MULTI HARLEY RACE WINNER
3 X BEST OF SHOW
pwmorris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.