who sells the best 95" kit : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2008, 11:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

powerlineman wants to know Dino or Syn?
who sells the best 95" kit

I am looking for a 95" kit for my 01 deuce. I have a pcIII usb, screaming eagle air cleaner. I want the best reliable bang for my buck. I have about 2500 to spend. I have contacted Wes at cyclerama and have been impressed with his knowledge. I have looked at gmr and will be talking to them tomorrow, If anyone has any other ideas that would be great. I am looking for low end power, I typically ride in the 2500- 3500 range, single rider.

thanks
powerlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2008, 05:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Hillside wants to know Dino or Syn?
If the grunt, in that rpm band only, is what you want, then an Andrews 26 and some headwork. Many dollars left over at that point.
Hillside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
OUCH! That hurt

wfolarry wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com View Post
If the grunt, in that rpm band only, is what you want, then an Andrews 26 and some headwork. Many dollars left over at that point.
Call Hillside too.

Last edited by wfolarry; 09-25-2008 at 06:11 AM. Reason: error
wfolarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

LazerRed wants to know Dino or Syn?
adrews 37, move comp. to 9:8-1,ported heads,punch cylinders to 95in ,flat top SE pistons.
LazerRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlineman View Post
I am looking for a 95" kit for my 01 deuce. I have a pcIII usb, screaming eagle air cleaner. I want the best reliable bang for my buck. I have about 2500 to spend. I have contacted Wes at cyclerama and have been impressed with his knowledge. I have looked at gmr and will be talking to them tomorrow, If anyone has any other ideas that would be great. I am looking for low end power, I typically ride in the 2500- 3500 range, single rider.

thanks
dont think kit. think about machining and headwork from those that do it everyday. your headguy will interview you and determine the best build.

those that provide knowledge and product will save you money, hand you a build that you nly do once, and lend support.

with your budget, WFO larry, hillside, bigboyz , RRCYCLE (what gmr sells), nw guy 4 fn (deweys headshop) all can meet your needs.

until you have ridden a real 100 lbs tq that hits early, never setle for just low end. power is like a gun----its better to have and not need than to need and not have!

good luck, we enjoy someone doing their own build with quality stuff.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Ender

Pikeslayer wants to know Dino or Syn?
When I did my 95" I didn't do any head work. I had the cylinders bored, new high compression pistons (cast not forged), woods tw-6 cam. I loved it. My brother had the exact same kit in the same bike except he had head work done and he had slip-ons. He wasn't any quicker than me. I think the Fat Cat did it for me. He had $2000 in his kit, I had $1000 in mine. We both did our own wrenching.
Hobanized Crank, Axtell 117" cylinders, CP flat tops, 10.6:1 CR, Woods TW8, R&R cast heads, R&R roller rockers, HPI 51mm T/B, 4.9 g/s SE injectors, D&D Fat Cat 2into1 QB, Rivera Pro Clutch, Evo Industries 49T, Tuned by Big Boyz
Pikeslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

Harleypingman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Many good packages available. Check-out Head-Quarters' website to spec and price your kit:

http://www.head-quarters-usa.com/ushome.html

Also, nice write-up there on the "2008 HQ Power Tour" confirming the reliability and fuel economy of performance builds from 95" to 120".

CMA, Crossties Chapter (GA)
IBA 26580
2004 FLHTPX
Harleypingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

KingofCubes wants to know Dino or Syn?
95" kits

Many good kits out there. Without head work it's a crap shoot, the head work I like is the R&R 5 axis cnc machined stuff. They really know how to take the guess work out of it. Probably because they work on over 2,000 bikes a year themselves. Their stage 2-1/2 will get your heart pumping in your price range.

515-266-6381

www.kingofcubes.com

KingofCubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
djl
IronButt

djl wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydbal View Post
dont think kit. think about machining and headwork from those that do it everyday. your headguy will interview you and determine the best build.

those that provide knowledge and product will save you money, hand you a build that you nly do once, and lend support.

with your budget, WFO larry, hillside, bigboyz , RRCYCLE (what gmr sells), nw guy 4 fn (deweys headshop) all can meet your needs.

until you have ridden a real 100 lbs tq that hits early, never setle for just low end. power is like a gun----its better to have and not need than to need and not have!

What he said
djl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
I paid.........did you??

MaineUltraClassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Are you doing the work yourself, or paying a shop to do it? Is your budget of $2500 including labor, or is that just for parts?

I would highly recommend going to 95" with your stock cylinders bored, having your heads ported/polished and milled for 10-1 to 10.2-1 CR, a set of Woods TW-6 (G if gear driven) cams. I recommend www.bigboyzheadporting.com for the headwork and cylinder boring, Bean will take good care of you. You can also do the 1.9" intake valves to get a little better breathing if you want.

Very reliable build, and very powerful from start to finish.

Steve

95" Powered by Big Boyz Heads, Woods Cams, Doherty PowerPacc w/ Powervents,
10:1 CR, D&D Fatcat 2-1 QB, Hillside 46.5mm TB, & Cometic Gaskets
Built by Me, Tuned by Bean
MaineUltraClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

hugie03flhr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

thanks
If your doing the work like me. I wasn't in a hurry so I took my time and pick up 06 heads (new take offs)for $100, cylinders (88ci) Ebay $20, cam kit (w/push rods, springs, bearings and TW37cam) Ebay $237, Wiseco 10.5 comp +.020 pistons w/ com. gaskets $110 Ebay, Jimms cam tools $150? from a forum member and cylinder bore & plate hone matched to piston $160 from local shop. Now add in some gaskets, pushrod tubes and some small odds and ins..... THATS IT! for under $1000 Know I just have too find time to install it
hugie03flhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

snap wants to know Dino or Syn?
IMO 98" setups are the way to go over the 95" nowadays. Still using your cylinders, proven reliable and cost effective. Im liking mine! Steve will fill you in.
snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

powerlineman wants to know Dino or Syn?
learning lots

I talked to a bunch of people today, there is a lot of helpful people
still undecided who I will go with, they all seem to get about the same numbers. I will be doing the work myself. Are my cylinders that are 95" now able to be bored to 98" without going to thin?

thanks
powerlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydbal View Post

I would suggest a hq 0039 or an andrews 37 and do some headwork. The kb pistons are good because they can fitt tighter than any and their flattops are already cut for large valves. The sad fact is that you will probaley want a little more, later. The larger intake valve and a proper port is very important. If you go with better valve springs, you can use the stock rockers up to about .575 lift(per HQ) .

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........

Last edited by route66paul; 09-30-2008 at 08:19 PM.
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Jeepin_Lawyer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Are my cylinders that are 95" now able to be bored to 98" without going to thin?
That seems to be the consensus now.

Call some sponsors and get some ideas from them. They are fun to talk to about what is available for your bike.
Advertisement