88 to 95 : Is it worth it? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Mbluz wants to know Dino or Syn?
88 to 95 : Is it worth it?

I have an 04 Roadking with s+s 510 gear drive cams still stock bore 88. It has a power comander and wild pig mufflers. I's dyno numbers are: 87.06 tq and 78.1 HP. If I go to the 95" with no head work what are going to be my gains? Is it worth it?
Mbluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2008, 03:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Axe Man

BVBOB wants to know Dino or Syn?
Honestly, if you are just going to pull it down to do only the 95 , save your money, if you are going through the trouble of pulling the top end down it would be a waste without at least a nice street port and cc of the heads to make the whole package come together.
553 bd cams
Power duals with re-core cvo
Welded crank

1982 FXRS
new paint
new tires
new brakes
new clutch
Soon to be back on the road

Being honest may not make you a lot of friends but it will always make you the right ones.
BVBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

HDWRENCH wants to know Dino or Syn?
You might gain 4/4 5/5 without head work. As BV stated the head work is where it is at.
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

ride4daze wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a '06 RK with 95" bore, Andrews 26 chain drive cams, street port heads set to 9:6:1 comp and .030 head gasket, SE/AC and true duel ex. The tune is basically a canned sert map that I chose myself. Had it on a dyno at a horsepower wars event, because it only cost $20.00 to see what it had. Anyway, HP was 87.6 and Tq was 93. Bike runs like day vs night compared to when it was a 88". I did all work except heads myself and am very happy.
2006 Road King, SE/AC, Rinehart Duels, Andrews TW26a cams, 95" big bore, Bigboyzs street port heads, .030 head gaskets, 3:37 primary gearing, sert with tune by me.
ride4daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
trying this again, unshrouding the valves by going 95 inch is where the gains are, not neccesarilly the 7 cu. in.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
In order to raise the c/r, you will need pistons, if still 88", you will need domes( shaving the heads enough to get the comp needed would hurt the intake seal), or go with 95" pistons, flathead and .030 gasket should get you to 9.4:1, a minor mill on the heads will take the comp to 10.0:1, domed pistons will get more. You might as well go to 95(or 98).

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Kivaari wants to know Dino or Syn?
unshrouding

You're meaning....changing the shape of the combustion chamber to "cover" the larger bore....so to speak...increasing combustion chamber area around the valves..????
Kivaari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Jeepin_Lawyer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Take it from me, don't do it piece by piece you will spend so much more $$$ and it won't run right until it is all done! Do a package (even a budget package) from one of the venders and you will be so much happier. Steve at GMR tried to tell me this a long time ago. Finally I ended up with a full package and it runs great now but I wasted lots of $$ on labor, gaskets and individual parts getting to the final result.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

KingofCubes wants to know Dino or Syn?
Squish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivaari View Post
You're meaning....changing the shape of the combustion chamber to "cover" the larger bore....so to speak...increasing combustion chamber area around the valves..????
Not a good idea to increase combustion chamber or take away squish area. Although the faster burn comes from flat tops we prefer to use domes to make up the difference for the street. Some porters use low 9's on compression with short duration cams where as we like to use higher compression with longer duration cams, ccp comes out about the same. The thumb of rule is the higher the ccp, the tighter the squish needs to be. Pinging comes from heat and pressure, if you take away heat you can up the pressure without detonation.

515-266-6381

www.kingofcubes.com

KingofCubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
RUB wanna be

mungo wants to know Dino or Syn?
May I ask why you're interested in 95" without head work?

If it's budget, then what I'd do is find a set of '06 heads (used, so they are already heat cycled), send them out to be CNC ported and pop them on your 88". You'll see some pretty nice performance gains from that. When when your 88" jugs wear out, slap in some 95" jugs.

If you do it piece by piece, yeah, you're going to pay more. But then, financing a bike 'causes you to pay more as well. Sometimes piece by piece is the only way some can do it. (It's one of the reasons my bike is still stock and will most likely remain so for a while.)

Look into it. Ask around. This is what I'd do.

2004 Night Train
2009 Street Glide
mungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Average Dude

YankeeBob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbluz View Post
Is it worth it?
No. Not without headwork.

Deut. 23:12-13
YankeeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivaari View Post
No, not at all. There is a natural boost in compression, you have more volume being displaced into the same area, this is the natural boost. if you do the math and shave the heads to make the chamber smaller, that brings up the compression. Different cams work better with a little more compression. if you wish to go to higher compression with thw 88", the heads would have to be shaved too much to be practical, so you would need to use domed pistons(popups) to make more compression. Flattops with an .030 should be around 9.4:1 or 9.5:1 with stock heads on a 95 or 98in.

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........

Last edited by route66paul; 09-03-2008 at 04:40 PM.
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
FTF

hrdtail78 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well worth the effort. I currently have two bikes I have ridden as 88's that are now 95's. A fast reving 95 will outrun a slow reving 103 all day long. 1/8 on the bore is a good start.

127 evo. Hardtail 05 special construction. Hyperformance jugs, R&R billet heads, RB Racing 124 challenge pipe. 148tq. 139hp.

99 FXDWG, 103 in. Dave Mackie heads, Kury 57, DM598G, under construction.
hrdtail78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement