204 cams in a 103 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2008, 04:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

BigDwh03 wants to know Dino or Syn?
204 cams in a 103

Has anyone put the SE 204 cams in a 103? If so how did it perform? I presently have the 255's and it runs good but i was thinking the 204's would be about the same but hang on longer. I thought about the 251's but I don't want to pull the engine apart to bump it to 10.25 for them. I would like to stay with SE parts as I can get them for a good price. My bike is an 07 FLHX.
Thanks,
Dennis
BigDwh03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Moneygreen

arealinvestor wants to know where he is and how he got here
The SE 204 is a good bolt cam.It will pull through 5000rpm.You have to keep the comp close to stock though!!!!!!!!!!

2010 Ultra Classic Hot Rod Built & Tuned by JD's
BB & Baisley Hybrid Heads with man/Comp releases
Axtell Pistons & Cylinders set with high comp,Big CCP
Darkhorse Stroker Crank,balanced,plugged & welded
Woods A/C kit & Lifters
T-Man gear crank set
High Flow HPI Inj & BB TBW Throttle body
D&D Boarzilla (perforated baffle)
Lenale cooling fan
Jagg 10 row oil cooler
K&P engineering oil filter
To much more to list!!!!!!
arealinvestor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2008, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

greg1140 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had a 103 with a SE204 cam,weisco flat top pistons, stock TB, gerolamy heads, and got 99hp and 11Tq. Tq was above3 100 at 2500 rpm. CR was 9.8 a little high so I needed Compression releases for starting. Bike ran great!
greg1140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2008, 07:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

greg1140 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I meant to say 111Tq
greg1140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2008, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
"Jane you ignorant slut!"

ceraaa42 wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you bought the 103" kit with the 255 cams it's a bit high for the 204's. This kit comes in at about 10 to 1. So if you're going to pull it down you might as well put in the 251's, but they could use some head work to really sing.

Chris
SE255 cams
SE Air cleaner
SERT
Fatcat Quiet baffle
Bagger brace
Dyno report; http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/dr...et-baffle.html

"Ya fargin' sneeky bastage!" Roman Troy Moronie

43 member
ceraaa42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2008, 10:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Do the math, first !!

thedriver wants to know Dino or Syn?
different cams want different things

the 255 has 25* intake close, stock CR is fine.
also has 211 / 235 duration, will come in early, but not last long.

the 204 has 34* intake close, it wants 9.6 to 9.9 CR, duration 236 / 240. with stock CR 9.2 -9.3 IT WILL be a bit soft on the bottom + more duration it will come in slightly later any how. ( been there done that ) do you know for sure what actual CR you have. if stock you might want to leave things alone. i,m not saying the 204 is not a bolt in cam, or it wont work,but it is different than the 255 and wants different things to work properly, like a little more CR . how often do you ride over 4000 RPM ?? I hope this was helpfull. Good luck JMHO if that kit is at 10.0:1(wich i doubt) with the 255 cam it should be a real PING MONSTER . the 204 would work much better.
[ 07 Ultra 103 CI - SE\AC - forged flat tops - street port heads - 9.95CR - .030 sqiush - SE255 cams - SE cam plate - Baisley spring - SE roller rockers - SESTP - 30 tooth trans - IDS - Supermeg 18 disk - 10 row Jagg cooler

Last edited by thedriver; 08-26-2008 at 10:55 PM.
thedriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2008, 11:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

nw_guy4_fun wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just say no to the 203 or 204 or 255 or 253.
A 103 with stock heads and flat tops and .030 hg is at 9.9 anyway. Close enough
Do the 251 and have an easy start 100hp 105 tq ride with a nice torque curve and easy starting. Caveat is good tune and pipe will be needed to get the result.
Minor head work a mill and then look at 110/110 and still an even wider TQ curve.
nw_guy4_fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2008, 11:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

R1Geezrglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a 95 with SE hi comp pistons with the 204 cams. It was such a ping monster, I had to de-tune the crap out of it to run 93 octane. I'm running a 12deg retard map in my ign module. It now has the same power curve as a 96 with pipes, highflow air cleaner and SERT. I'll not mention the starter it just ate. Now before you say 'what were you thinking?', I didn't put this combo together. Over the last few months I have been accumulating the parts I need to fix this mess. I got some 06 casting heads with factory auto compression releases, a second cam support plate and some 253 cams. I looking for some 251's and 255's as well to do a comparison. As a general rule, high lift relatively short duration cams do a good job of packing the cylinders at lower rpm's making the engine think it's a higher compression engine. Add high compression pistons to this mix and you have a ping monster.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Geezrglide View Post
I have a 95 with SE hi comp pistons with the 204 cams. It was such a ping monster, I had to de-tune the crap out of it to run 93 octane. I'm running a 12deg retard map in my ign module. It now has the same power curve as a 96 with pipes, highflow air cleaner and SERT. I'll not mention the starter it just ate. Now before you say 'what were you thinking?', I didn't put this combo together. Over the last few months I have been accumulating the parts I need to fix this mess. I got some 06 casting heads with factory auto compression releases, a second cam support plate and some 253 cams. I looking for some 251's and 255's as well to do a comparison. As a general rule, high lift relatively short duration cams do a good job of packing the cylinders at lower rpm's making the engine think it's a higher compression engine. Add high compression pistons to this mix and you have a ping monster.
Careful
Those heads may not have the same CCs as the ones you are taking off and I suggest checking the actual compression ratio. If they are CVO 110s much bigger 94cc chamber, if they are 103 police, not the same.
You need 10/1 to make the 251 work decently and this is not such a short cam especially in a 95" motor. The 255 is super short and on the stock side of the spectrum. Would ping like heck at 10/1. Would recomend may other choices not that cam unless you purposely build the 95 for torque and all done at 4500rpm, low compression.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

I know the ones you speak of that are used on the 110's. Definitely a much larger chamber. These are the 103 Police (I think) and have the standard chamber that you would find on the earlier motors. I have not cc'd them and your right as they may in fact cc larger than my current 05 heads, but on cursory inspection, they look the same. I just want to find a way to better utilize the compression instead of castrating the motor with retarded timing and ending up no better off than a stocker

Last edited by R1Geezrglide; 08-26-2008 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Kain't rite r spil
R1Geezrglide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2008, 12:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

I like the ACR heads. No need to get into details here but they can be made to work real well. Forget the 255 and take a hard look at the Woods TW6-6
Old 08-27-2008, 12:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

That Woods TW6-6 comes up a lot as 'the' cam. Maybe I should listen....It's just I have access the HD stuff cheap.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
"Jane you ignorant slut!"

ceraaa42 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedriver View Post
JMHO if that kit is at 10.0:1(wich i doubt) with the 255 cam it should be a real PING MONSTER.
You must have thought I just pulled that number outta my a$$, I didn't. Latus Harley has put in lots of these kits (ask Doc). Mike Stegman was the one that told me they come at 10 to 1 and the tuning has to be spot on to not ping. Mine cranks over like an engine at 10 to 1 (wish I would have put in compression releases), runs very well, and does NOT ping at all.

But if he has the 103" kit it would run with the 251 as is, but would be better a little tighter with some head work.

Chris

Second thought; If you pick either the TW6 or the SE251 cams, be prepared to pick up some valve noise. I was suprised at how much the 251's had, but I'd use them again for the nice power band they have.
SE255 cams
SE Air cleaner
SERT
Fatcat Quiet baffle
Bagger brace
Dyno report; http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/dr...et-baffle.html

"Ya fargin' sneeky bastage!" Roman Troy Moronie

43 member

Last edited by ceraaa42; 08-27-2008 at 01:31 AM.
ceraaa42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.