88 Vs 96 Which Is Better : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2008, 06:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

fgunnr wants to know Dino or Syn?
88 Vs 96 Which Is Better

Are the new motors better(reliability, performance, easy to modify) than the 88's.

I am considering an '09 to replace my '05 carbed EG.

thanks
fgunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2008, 07:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
RUB wanna be

mungo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well, here's my $.02.

The TC88 and TC96 are technically the same. HD increased the stroke to increase the displacement of the 88, so there is a concern of piston speed and reliability, all be it minor.

However, there may also be some concerns over HD's manufacturing practices and quality in recent years. For instance, they just quadrupled the crank run out spec to a controversial level. But I think these concerns would be here if they hadn't increased the displacement of the TC.

I jumped on the '09 bandwagon a little bit early. The new ECM is a bit more complex, so the aftermarket ECM controlling market needs to catch up. (Thundermax, xIED, etc...). Because of the new swing arm, I think to date, you have a choice of the Rinehart slip ons or the SE slip ons.

There's also a slight issue with noise out of the mated 6 speed cruise drive, but to me it's no worse than the 4th gear whine in a HD 5 speed transmission.

In my opinion, the changes to the frame and the motor mounts out weighed the potential issues with the 96". After all, there are a lot of people out there now with a lot of miles on their TC96.

I am very pleased with my bone stock '09 Street Glide but I'm only at about 900 miles so far.

2004 Night Train
2009 Street Glide
mungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
I paid.........did you??

MaineUltraClassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
The 96" motor is just a stroked 88". Basically the same exact motor with a stroked crank.

Reliability will be about the same, and the ease of modifying is the same.

Go with the '09, I know I would if the $$ was available.

Steve

95" Powered by Big Boyz Heads, Woods Cams, Doherty PowerPacc w/ Powervents,
10:1 CR, D&D Fatcat 2-1 QB, Hillside 46.5mm TB, & Cometic Gaskets
Built by Me, Tuned by Bean
MaineUltraClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

midnight sporty wants to know Dino or Syn?
i second that. the 96 is just stroked out 88.. not that much is diffrent. all your gonna feel when you ride. is more heat in the rear cylinder.. and alot more tq. but to me i feel like the 96 has tons of tq but is lacking in hp if you ask me.. i still love it though. and to do a engine build it doesent cost as much for the fact that its allready stroked...
midnight sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Moneygreen

arealinvestor wants to know where he is and how he got here
Hey Steve!! what do you use to keep your scoot clean and shiny????????

2010 Ultra Classic Hot Rod Built & Tuned by JD's
BB & Baisley Hybrid Heads with man/Comp releases
Axtell Pistons & Cylinders set with high comp,Big CCP
Darkhorse Stroker Crank,balanced,plugged & welded
Woods A/C kit & Lifters
T-Man gear crank set
High Flow HPI Inj & BB TBW Throttle body
D&D Boarzilla (perforated baffle)
Lenale cooling fan
Jagg 10 row oil cooler
K&P engineering oil filter
To much more to list!!!!!!
arealinvestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

skyhook wants to know Dino or Syn?
the 09 is heavier, geared higher, and detuned compared to your 05...it'll probably feel slower...the new chassis is nice, probably smoother...by changing exhaust, aircleaner, cams, and fuel contoller/dyno tune they make good power
skyhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
I would wait and see how this new frame works out. Look at the IDS for the 08s. There may be improvements next year. Harley may lie and deny too, but after year, you will hear some rumors about it atleast.

As for what to do. Depends on how many miles and what you want. You are going to lose money. Money that could be put into your bike. 95", 6 speed. Both of which will probably be better aftermarket.

Your 05 does not have the timken bearing so push. I also think around there they changed there cranks, not sure.

95" probably best bang for the buck. If you had the cash, timken conversion and stroke it with a good crank would be cool.

My 96" if I keep it will probably get the conversion and a new crank $omeday.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight sporty View Post
i second that. the 96 is just stroked out 88.. not that much is diffrent. all your gonna feel when you ride. is more heat in the rear cylinder.. and alot more tq. but to me i feel like the 96 has tons of tq but is lacking in hp if you ask me.. i still love it though. and to do a engine build it doesent cost as much for the fact that its allready stroked...
actually, the 96 has 1 # more tq than a 88. with the higher gearing, that makes the 96 accelerate slower!

"doesnt cost as much to build because its already stroked"
well, you can build a 95 that will embarrass the 96 and the 95 will likely hold together longer. to build a 96, add $1200-$1400 instantly for crank work to fix the chinese crank. now when you get your 103 or 107 back together, dont be surprised if that 95 blows around you!! (dollar for dollar).
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

hdmarsh77 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydbal View Post
actually, the 96 has 1 # more tq than a 88. with the higher gearing, that makes the 96 accelerate slower!

well, you can build a 95 that will embarrass the 96 and the 95 will likely hold together longer. to build a 96, add $1200-$1400 instantly for crank work to fix the chinese crank. now when you get your 103 or 107 back together, dont be surprised if that 95 blows around you!! (dollar for dollar).

I'm like you, I just love the tiny little 95s. A good, reliable, powerful, quick revving engine that doesn't cost too much.

Not saying that I don't like anything else. I just like the 95s.

"I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane." WJ

hdmarsh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
I paid.........did you??

MaineUltraClassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arealinvestor View Post
Hey Steve!! what do you use to keep your scoot clean and shiny????????
Normally...........Pledge, lemon scented is my favorite.

I try not to wash the bike much at all, cuts down on rust. I just do detailing inbetween rides to keep up on it. A couple of times a year I'll wash and wax it......I use McGuires NXT 2 paste wax. Every spring and fall I go over the whole bike with 3M's Perfect-It compound and polish and buff the whole bike, then finish it off with a couple coats of NXT.

Steve

95" Powered by Big Boyz Heads, Woods Cams, Doherty PowerPacc w/ Powervents,
10:1 CR, D&D Fatcat 2-1 QB, Hillside 46.5mm TB, & Cometic Gaskets
Built by Me, Tuned by Bean
MaineUltraClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
steve, do you wipe on the pledge or apply, buff, wipe off? have heard of this on show cars, but didnt know how they used the pledge.

thanks, i know its cheaper than pigsnot.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
TANGOKING

TangoKing wants to know Dino or Syn?
88 going to 95... better than a 96

I think the previous posts tell it clearly.. It goes to reason that a shorter stroke is always better in most respects like engine life, accel. etc..

So 88 engine that is converted to a 95 ci is far better than having 96ci..

Having said that I see that newer engines are having more and more plastic parts and reliance on electronics to run the engine. Having wires inside the cylinders heads... not to mention O2 sensors, maps, ECM unit and many more modern day high tech gadgetry !!!

I personally like simpler machines... with a carb etc. simply because I can fix it myself. That is why I ride a Harley..

I always say there are *** and German machines if you are into high tech gears. And like wires and computer chips and plastic gas tanks..

Happy riding to all..

Tangoking
TangoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
FNG :)

fgunnr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks guys for all of your input.

I am arguing with myself between my relatively simple carbed '05 EG Standard versus a new '09 Roadglide.

I was ready to do the 95 build on the '05 when I went by the dealer to take a look-see at the '09's and wanted the Roadglide to get the new frame, 6 speed, antilock brakes and 180 rear tire.

Please keep the comments coming, the '09 RG will be at the dealer this week and I have first dibs on it.
fgunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member

midnight sporty wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydbal View Post

and im sure i can build a 96 up to make a 95 look like a scooter. noone was bashing a 95. if your on a budget build its easier to get more tq out of the 96.. atleast from what im reading... so dont be a lil girl on here and cry. it was just my opinion.. chill
midnight sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Fastest Chkn N the South!

Colonel Sanders wants to know Dino or Syn?
Red face

Wow....touchy, touchy! Uhhm....I think he was just trying to help but WTF do I know?

Me? I'd start with a carb'd 88-95" and build it to whatever CI I felt like paying for (and absolutely I'd have the POS stock crank worked over!). Yep, that's what I'd do.
CV51 carb/intake/AC
R&R Stage IV heads
10.8:1 CR
JE -10cc pistons
S&S 640 cams
Axtell cylinders
JIMS/Darkhorse crank
Rivera Pro Clutch
DTT ignition
Hooker Troublemaker pipes
137/134 STD 134/130 SAE
Colonel Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote