RevTech 6 speed review : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 10:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium octane member

TXCHOP wants to know Dino or Syn?
RevTech 6 speed review

Junk!!!!!!!!!

I got a couple pm's a couple months back as i posted i was installing one for a customer. So here is my honest opinion/review.

This gear set, was just that a gear set. This one was not a whole drop in assemlby like a Baker one is. No big deal, just some more time to swap trap doors and assemble every gear, snap rings bearings, thrust washers, etc....No big deal, done it before, but alway with andrews gears and Jim's rebuild kits.

So the gear set assembly was pretty much o.k.. I bought a Jims rebuild kit in order to use their parts. Well, The make in Korea trans does not use the same parts and i had to use their own bearings. If you are not familar with the bearings inside the tranny, they are plastic caged split bearings. The Jims style split so you can stretch them over the larger diameter of the splines and then install where needed and snap ****. Well, the RevTech were crap they stretched a bit and have one roller that fits way loose for my liking and don't snap. K now thats done.

R+R the 5th gear and bearing and attmept to install/check clearance to case. No go, needs grinding. No big deal. Done and installed.

Install shift forks and that try to slip the rod in. Won't go into the shift forks AT ALL! You are supposed to re-sure the stock rod. Well being i had to imprvise i had to makeshift a tool and hone the shift forks out! Not to my liking. But had to be done.

K, installed the forks, got that workin buttery smooth(even though the actual fork is paper thin) and try to install shift drum. No Go! the shift fork had a crappy casting and hit the drum locking it. K, grind that down and install. Nope, try to check the shifting and it shifts HARD, thought the shifter pawl was going to break. Proceed to pull the drum off again and had to chamfer the slots a bit and take down the sharp edges.

Thats, that, all back together and shifting better. Take it out for the first ride around the block and it feels decent shifting from neutral to 1st-2nd and 3rd. As soon as you shift into 4th it take a bit more effort as does 5th and 6th feel the same way. Took drum off and it a and chamfered a bit more. K, now its better.

So, while you save money INITIALLY on buying the kit, unless labors free, this tranny took me 4-5 hours more to install than a Baker, S/E, or andrews equivilent would. So you loose some there. There are some extra bearings and gaskets/seals needed so more money there. In the end it does not feel to bad as i put 50 miles on it and it shifts decent now. It is still a far cry from that of a baker tranny though. The more cost up front is worth it, IMHO.

As a side note, before this tranny was even ordered, i asked customer to sign a receipt stating i will stand behind my own workmanship, but not that of RevTech due to my experiances in the past. He is a great customer so i have no worries there. That past experiance was R+R'ing a motor 3 times in a chopper that i had to eat.

So, yes my bike will get a Baker and Baker only! And if Baker reads this, i will accept discounts!!!!haha....
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2008, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Location: Land Of The Free and Home Of The Brave, United States Of America
1711tab wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCHOP View Post
Junk!!!!!!!!!

I got a couple pm's a couple months back as i posted i was installing one for a customer. So here is my honest opinion/review.

This gear set, was just that a gear set. This one was not a whole drop in assemlby like a Baker one is. No big deal, just some more time to swap trap doors and assemble every gear, snap rings bearings, thrust washers, etc....No big deal, done it before, but alway with andrews gears and Jim's rebuild kits.

So the gear set assembly was pretty much o.k.. I bought a Jims rebuild kit in order to use their parts. Well, The make in Korea trans does not use the same parts and i had to use their own bearings. If you are not familar with the bearings inside the tranny, they are plastic caged split bearings. The Jims style split so you can stretch them over the larger diameter of the splines and then install where needed and snap ****. Well, the RevTech were crap they stretched a bit and have one roller that fits way loose for my liking and don't snap. K now thats done.

R+R the 5th gear and bearing and attmept to install/check clearance to case. No go, needs grinding. No big deal. Done and installed.

Install shift forks and that try to slip the rod in. Won't go into the shift forks AT ALL! You are supposed to re-sure the stock rod. Well being i had to imprvise i had to makeshift a tool and hone the shift forks out! Not to my liking. But had to be done.

K, installed the forks, got that workin buttery smooth(even though the actual fork is paper thin) and try to install shift drum. No Go! the shift fork had a crappy casting and hit the drum locking it. K, grind that down and install. Nope, try to check the shifting and it shifts HARD, thought the shifter pawl was going to break. Proceed to pull the drum off again and had to chamfer the slots a bit and take down the sharp edges.

Thats, that, all back together and shifting better. Take it out for the first ride around the block and it feels decent shifting from neutral to 1st-2nd and 3rd. As soon as you shift into 4th it take a bit more effort as does 5th and 6th feel the same way. Took drum off and it a and chamfered a bit more. K, now its better.

So, while you save money INITIALLY on buying the kit, unless labors free, this tranny took me 4-5 hours more to install than a Baker, S/E, or andrews equivilent would. So you loose some there. There are some extra bearings and gaskets/seals needed so more money there. In the end it does not feel to bad as i put 50 miles on it and it shifts decent now. It is still a far cry from that of a baker tranny though. The more cost up front is worth it, IMHO.

As a side note, before this tranny was even ordered, i asked customer to sign a receipt stating i will stand behind my own workmanship, but not that of RevTech due to my experiances in the past. He is a great customer so i have no worries there. That past experiance was R+R'ing a motor 3 times in a chopper that i had to eat.

So, yes my bike will get a Baker and Baker only! And if Baker reads this, i will accept discounts!!!!haha....

Dan per Bert Baker the SE 6 Speed is almost a copied clone of his OD6 trans... I read that in a article about Baker 's accomplishments in one of the rags...
1711tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium octane member

Yup, used the S/E version in other customers bikes before with no falures and good reports! I just LOVE the DD6!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2008, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Coolmaker wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have the DD6 and it ROCKS....
Old 08-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Location: Land Of The Free and Home Of The Brave, United States Of America
1711tab wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCHOP View Post
Yup, used the S/E version in other customers bikes before with no falures and good reports! I just LOVE the DD6!!!!!!
I bought one, (DD6 Complete Transmission) it's growing dust... LOL

If my SE-OD6 takes a break (no pun intended) I'm ready to bolt it in...

Last edited by 1711tab; 08-03-2008 at 05:06 AM.
1711tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premium octane member

Yup, thats the only downside of that trans. Need new case if you get a change of heart, otherwise a good setup.

Also forgot to mention the RPM's dropped almost 250 exactly in 6th on this bike. To my surprize, no while was noticed and the "quietness" was up a bit over a stock unit. Also, to be fair i used Belray 75w140 (i believe).
Old 08-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

compressor#v wants to know Dino or Syn?
TXCHOP, if I'm not mistaken the RevTech are half width gears, and the Baker/Jims are full width. One more reason to stay away from the RevTech.
compressor#v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premium octane member

Yup, you are right. I forgot to mention that. My camera died during the process otherwis i had great comparison pics of a stock, baker and revtech. This was a stock motor, so hopeully that wont be an issue.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
FNG :)

FI X FIRE wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am contemplating purchasing a Baker DD6 for my 02 Electraglide classic. I have the RevTech 6 speed in it now and am very unhappy with it's performance. It was installed when my bike was the original 88, and I quickly found that I could not use it unles runing 85 MPH with a tail wind... Bumped the engine up to 95 and still no good. I can use it at 80mph but my gas mileage goes to 28... The Baker is about 3 times as much, and I have been told that it will solve my problem, but before I spend the $ I wanted some first hand experience, because I was told the RevTech would work fine... NOT>>> What is your experience with the Baker as far as actual useability. I know they say they overdrive the primary to solve the power issue, but wouldnt that just put me back to where I am in 5th gear right now??? What is the benifit???
FI X FIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

rmc115 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just installed a baker OD6 kit for a friend, very nice quality piece. Mike
rmc115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium octane member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI X FIRE View Post
I am contemplating purchasing a Baker DD6 for my 02 Electraglide classic. I have the RevTech 6 speed in it now and am very unhappy with it's performance. It was installed when my bike was the original 88, and I quickly found that I could not use it unles runing 85 MPH with a tail wind... Bumped the engine up to 95 and still no good. I can use it at 80mph but my gas mileage goes to 28... The Baker is about 3 times as much, and I have been told that it will solve my problem, but before I spend the $ I wanted some first hand experience, because I was told the RevTech would work fine... NOT>>> What is your experience with the Baker as far as actual useability. I know they say they overdrive the primary to solve the power issue, but wouldnt that just put me back to where I am in 5th gear right now??? What is the benifit???
You said you bumped to 95 right? Depending on how much power you are making and where a baker or 6 speed should be fine. Let us know whats in your 95.

Maybe, since you have the Revtech already, just add 337 gearing in the primary. It will raise your cruise speed, but should put you in a sweet spot in 6th gear. I would have to look at the ratios of your tranny though.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

SpeedGlide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Anybody with Ultima 6sp builders kit experience? I have read and been told that the Ultima gears are wider than the RevTecs and install is pretty straight forward like the SE 6 speeds.
SpeedGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
GoFast!

skidmark316 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedGlide View Post
Anybody with Ultima 6sp builders kit experience? I have read and been told that the Ultima gears are wider than the RevTecs and install is pretty straight forward like the SE 6 speeds.
I wanted the builder's kit, but it was on backorder so I got a complete tranny off of fleabay, took it out and installed it in my case.
No issues at all. It has full width gears with fewer but thicker teeth than the stock trans, which is good because they built these things to handle their 127" motors. I have a pic of the gear set if you want to see it.
147hp/147tq
skidmark316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
FNG :)

FI X FIRE wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hi TXCHOP, thanks for the reply. I have the engine bumped up to a 95 with S&S Gear Drive Cam, Mikuni HSR 42-18 carb with a stage 1 air cleaner and race tuner along with Rinehart True-Dual Exhaust. My DYNO when I had the work done shows Max Power of 78.56 HP and Max Torque of 89.92. Of course down in the RPM band where it likes to run it is significantly less. The chart shows about 45 hp and 80 Torque at 3000rpm. My gas mileage also went from about 40mpg down to 28 to 32 mpg with the modifications. I figured it would drop with the bigger engine and carb, but this seems like an excessive drop. The bike is running great though?????
Rusner 9.38-1 Pistons
Stage 1 Air Cleaner
Mikuni HSR 42-18 Carb
Race Tuner
Rinehart True Duel Exhaust
RevTech 6 sp Transmission
FI X FIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement