S&S Twin Cam Heads : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2008, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Infidel

Gulfstream wants to know Dino or Syn?
S&S Twin Cam Heads

Have not heard much about these so that probably answers my question...what's the deal on these? Anyone have any experience with them and what are your thoughts?

"People sleep comfortably at night in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf".

Gulfstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

KingofCubes wants to know Dino or Syn?
Heads

We send them to R&R, they weld and cnc port a lot of them (choked down 30%). The engines are transformed into running cooler, revving quicker, and usually 20-30% more torque and horse under the dyno curve.

515-266-6381

www.kingofcubes.com

KingofCubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
i wish i had a set of B2 heads to put on the coffee table. thats as close as i can get to knowing how to run those things. valves like a 351 cleveland, squared ports, oh my---------------------------
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

thundercatken wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfstream View Post
Have not heard much about these so that probably answers my question...what's the deal on these? Anyone have any experience with them and what are your thoughts?
Considering the S&S heads are mediocure and need work out of the box, You'd be better off just buying a set of heads from Hillside, R&R, T-Man or some other good performance shop. Probably be cheaper in the end.

FYI - I asked this same question 2+ years ago and this is the same answer I got. Turns out it is 100% accurate.

When opening your mind to new ideas, don't open it so wide that your brains fall out.
thundercatken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium octane member

TXCHOP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thundercatken, i agree with you 100 percent! I had Hillside do mine (stock castings) for my 117 and they WORK!

Just for curiosity sake, as there was a thread on HTT, would ported/worked S&S heads end up a slightly better product than stock castings, all money aside?

Does their chamber design leave a good squish?
Can any common larger valve sizes be installed? Intake and exhuast?

Just curious...
Old 07-16-2008, 10:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

thundercatken wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCHOP View Post

Just for curiosity sake, as there was a thread on HTT, would ported/worked S&S heads end up a slightly better product than stock castings, all money aside?
Unknown, But I doubt they would be any better than a fresh casting that T-Man, Hillside, R&R, Baisley, etc, etc... worked their magic on.

When opening your mind to new ideas, don't open it so wide that your brains fall out.
thundercatken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Infidel

Gulfstream wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

Just curious...
That's the questions I should have asked.

"People sleep comfortably at night in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf".

Gulfstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

KingofCubes wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Thundercatken, i agree with you 100 percent! I had Hillside do mine (stock castings) for my 117 and they WORK!

Just curious...
R&R only welds the ports on stock heads where as they weld the ports and chambers on the S&S- added time and $. The stock heads make better quick torque low, the S&S better power slower at a slightly higher rpm.

515-266-6381

www.kingofcubes.com

KingofCubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Totenkopf wants to know Dino or Syn?
I can only tell you from a general point of view, that I have heard that the Super Stock Performance version heads are pretty okay and can be made to work even better with a little extra work. My direct experience is with their Special Application B1 heads though, get them unmachined, and then Otto machines and creates exactly what the application needs. These heads are 5/8" taller than stock, so they have a raised port, which is a very good thing but you would need to check fitment because it moves things and that can be a headache.

Totenkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Otto wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydbal View Post
i wish i had a set of B2 heads to put on the coffee table. thats as close as i can get to knowing how to run those things. valves like a 351 cleveland, squared ports, oh my---------------------------
they are over rated in my opinion nice valve sizes good base port but for a proper cam with big compression they have V to V issues
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
MaxHeadflow

Bruce Woltz wants to know Dino or Syn?
When you guy are talkin' SnS heads. Which ones are you talking about? Other than the B2. I assume you are talking TC but doesn't SnS makes 2 TC heads?

Bruce
Bruce Woltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
they are over rated in my opinion nice valve sizes good base port but for a proper cam with big compression they have V to V issues
you would be the guy to know!!!!! what about the SA? same prob?
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Totenkopf wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Woltz View Post
When you guy are talkin' SnS heads. Which ones are you talking about? Other than the B2. I assume you are talking TC but doesn't SnS makes 2 TC heads?

Bruce
Bruce,
I thought that there are the Super Stock regular heads (similar to stock) and then the performance verson, larger intake valve with a smaller chamber, which I referenced above in my post.

and btw, besides the B2, I also brought up the B1.

Totenkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Kwikt wants to know Dino or Syn?
I know they sell the 79cc heads and I think the 83cc heads. I installed the S&S 95ci hot set up on my 01 Fatboy with the 79cc heads and puts out just over 100hp and torque just like they claim.

Kevin
Kwikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
dbo
FNG :)

dbo wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have just recently scattered my top end. My motor builder (Modesto H.D.) who has threr own Buell race team and flat track race team told me that the larger S&S heads 89cc will out flow stock heads even after stocks were ported&polished and checked on flow bench. He also ststed that the S&S heads were made frrom much better material than stock heads. Have a 106 stroker kit and am waitin for new heads to get here. Good luck with your build,guess the proof is in the pudding. My builder has been building H.D. motors since the stone age and would have made more money having me bring in stock heads and having them done,1250.00 exchange. I trust him,we shall soon see.
dbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement