Cam help : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

greg1140 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cam help

Hello all,

I have an 07 Ultra with a 103 kit,Wisco flattop fordged pistons, stock TB, Gerolomy stage 2 heads with VH clasic round slip on exhaust. A friend of mine has a Crane 304-2 cam that he is willing to give me but I do not know anything about this cam. Was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this cam. I like good low to mid torque but would like my cam to al least have some legs on the upper end. I would be interested in looking at a dyno on this cam if anyone has one.
greg1140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Moneygreen

arealinvestor wants to know where he is and how he got here
The guys are going to ask you more questions.Like,how much compression are you currently running?

2010 Ultra Classic Hot Rod Built & Tuned by JD's
BB & Baisley Hybrid Heads with man/Comp releases
Axtell Pistons & Cylinders set with high comp,Big CCP
Darkhorse Stroker Crank,balanced,plugged & welded
Woods A/C kit & Lifters
T-Man gear crank set
High Flow HPI Inj & BB TBW Throttle body
D&D Boarzilla (perforated baffle)
Lenale cooling fan
Jagg 10 row oil cooler
K&P engineering oil filter
To much more to list!!!!!!
arealinvestor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fastest Chkn N the South!

Colonel Sanders wants to know Dino or Syn?
I don't have experience with the cam but from looking at the specs it's going to be pretty top-end oriented. You'll want around 10.7-11.2:1 static CR with that cam. Doesn't sound like it fits what you're looking for so well, IMO.
CV51 carb/intake/AC
R&R Stage IV heads
10.8:1 CR
JE -10cc pistons
S&S 640 cams
Axtell cylinders
JIMS/Darkhorse crank
Rivera Pro Clutch
DTT ignition
Hooker Troublemaker pipes
137/134 STD 134/130 SAE
Colonel Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I am running 10/1 static right now but will chane the head gastek and the rest to get what I need for CR. It looks to me as if this is more of a top end cam and I am not sure what the manners are at low RPM
Old 07-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Moneygreen

arealinvestor wants to know where he is and how he got here
In the 10 to 1 comp range i would probably look at a cam that had around a 40-45 degree intake close,if you want low end tq & midrange.I'm not an expert,but others will chime in if i'm wrong.

2010 Ultra Classic Hot Rod Built & Tuned by JD's
BB & Baisley Hybrid Heads with man/Comp releases
Axtell Pistons & Cylinders set with high comp,Big CCP
Darkhorse Stroker Crank,balanced,plugged & welded
Woods A/C kit & Lifters
T-Man gear crank set
High Flow HPI Inj & BB TBW Throttle body
D&D Boarzilla (perforated baffle)
Lenale cooling fan
Jagg 10 row oil cooler
K&P engineering oil filter
To much more to list!!!!!!
arealinvestor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2008, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I am not against running a big cam as long as it has decent manners at low RPM(if that is possible)
Old 07-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Infidel

Gulfstream wants to know Dino or Syn?
Greg, I'd be willing to bet you would HATE that cam on a bagger. Unless you only ride 1-up, on flat ground, and love upshifting go another route...the low-mid RPM manners will be way soft unless you REALLY step on the compression. To be a decent cam for a bagger you would need more CID than 103".

"People sleep comfortably at night in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf".

Gulfstream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

What about the woods TW7h, the Andrews Tw60 or the Se251, or even the Woods Tw6-6?
Old 07-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Infidel

Gulfstream wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1140 View Post
What about the woods TW7h, the Andrews Tw60 or the Se251, or even the Woods Tw6-6?
Throw out the Andrews 60...then in this order 1.) TW6 2.) TW7 3.) SE251...anyone of these would be much better in a bagger than the Crane IMHO, if the other parts compliment them. The TW6H may be a very good choice too! I assume you're running SE255's now?

"People sleep comfortably at night in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf".

Last edited by Gulfstream; 07-04-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Gulfstream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfstream View Post
Throw out the Andrews 60...then in this order 1.) TW6 2.) TW7 3.) SE251...anyone of these would be much better in a bagger than the Crane IMHO, if the other parts compliment them. The TW6H may be a very good choice too! I assume you're running SE255's now?
couldnt agree more. so many people fall for the numbers game and wind up with a bagger that takes 15 seconds to make power.

greg1140, find a builder, go through the interview process and believe what he says! if you cant find a local builder you trust, look several hrs. drive. its still better and cheaper than doing it twice.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2008, 07:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

No actually I have a SE204 in there now and knew I was going to have to change but got a great dealon the parts. The valvetrain is VERY noisy right now but I got 11tq/99hp with it. Pulls strong on the bottom but dies out on top a little too soon for me
Old 07-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1140 View Post
No actually I have a SE204 in there now and knew I was going to have to change but got a great dealon the parts. The valvetrain is VERY noisy right now but I got 11tq/99hp with it. Pulls strong on the bottom but dies out on top a little too soon for me
with those numbers, lets talk pipes and heads.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Ok I can do that but first the valvetrain noise has to go. It is very loud and I am not sure if it still needs adjustment or if it is the combination of parts. I was thinking about getting a set of RH tru duals at a later date but maybe sooner if needed.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
"Jane you ignorant slut!"

ceraaa42 wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you're wanting to get rid of valve noise, watch out for the Woods cams, there known for noisy top end. Also the SE251's are the same way and was also my experience. Even though the really perform well if set up right.

I'm also suprised you're getting noise with the SE 204's, some thing else may be going on. If so, you could end up changing cams and still have the noise.

Chris
SE255 cams
SE Air cleaner
SERT
Fatcat Quiet baffle
Bagger brace
Dyno report; http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/dr...et-baffle.html

"Ya fargin' sneeky bastage!" Roman Troy Moronie

43 member
ceraaa42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2008, 01:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I think I am going to have to check the valve lash again. It is only noisy when it gets hot. Sound like a puhrod is trying to come through the motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.