SE 96 to 110 CI conversion : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

BMoscato wants to know Dino or Syn?
SE 96 to 110 CI conversion

Has anyone done this? Is it worth it? When I view the chart provided by HD it looks like you only pick up 15 HP and 10 Torque to the rear wheel.
BMoscato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Click Chart Here
Old 06-23-2008, 10:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

thundercatken wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoscato View Post
Has anyone done this? Is it worth it? When I view the chart provided by HD it looks like you only pick up 15 HP and 10 Torque to the rear wheel.
You know ... there is essentially the same amount of labor involved in goint to 110, 113, 117, & 124. Ironically, if you price the parts in the Harley catalog, the 113 costs less than the 110. Obviously the part selection will have different unit costs.

Do your research and DON'T go with just the canned Harley package. I made that mistake ... once. For the same or less money, you can have a build that will add 30-40 HP & TQ.

When opening your mind to new ideas, don't open it so wide that your brains fall out.
thundercatken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fastest Chkn N the South!

Colonel Sanders wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thumbs up

Funny thing about that chart you linked to, the 110ci kinda looks like a 96ci with a Stage I....80 HP? I wouldn't waste my money on an HD package like that.
CV51 carb/intake/AC
R&R Stage IV heads
10.8:1 CR
JE -10cc pistons
S&S 640 cams
Axtell cylinders
JIMS/Darkhorse crank
Rivera Pro Clutch
DTT ignition
Hooker Troublemaker pipes
137/134 STD 134/130 SAE
Colonel Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fastest Chkn N the South!

Colonel Sanders wants to know Dino or Syn?
One more thought...I don't think a 96" suffers so much from a lack of CIs as it suffers from a lack of breathing! Give GMR (my personal favorite), Hillside, or Hyperformance a call and I bet they can tell you how to extract the most from the CIs that you already have. 110 HP+ is within your reach WITHOUT going to 110".
Colonel Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

arctic_mp7 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The 110 has been filled with problems, shifting cylinder liners and it doesn't make really good power without more modifications from the SE Package. For a little more money I would go with the Axtell cylinders/pistons, a good cam based on how you ride and a good set of ported heads. With a good reliable combination with very impressive #s are possible for a little more than harley S/E cost. The real deal is in the fun riding it. Just my two cents worth.

2011 Sedona Orange FLHX 103 stage II

Ultima 200 Rigid
DNA Springer
EVO motor, EV 46 cam, little bit of headwork and
42 Mikuni
Ultima 6 speed
2" belt drive

Retired Soldier (28 years of work), Now a Full time Technician (30 years & a lifetime of passion) (I am now growing my hair long)
arctic_mp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
One more thought...I don't think a 96" suffers so much from a lack of CIs as it suffers from a lack of breathing! Give GMR (my personal favorite), Hillside, or Hyperformance a call and I bet they can tell you how to extract the most from the CIs that you already have. 110 HP+ is within your reach WITHOUT going to 110".
Yeah, I'm really not impressed with the gain you get by doing the 110 conversion. So as both you and thundercatken have pointed out; I must explore more options.

Thanks to both of you for your opinions.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
"Jane you ignorant slut!"

ceraaa42 wants to know Dino or Syn?
What kind of bike, budget and riding do you do? Are you wanting to stay with Harley parts? If so, good things can happen there also. Is maintaining a warranty an issue?

Just a few questions that may help get you a good answer to what you want.

Chris
SE255 cams
SE Air cleaner
SERT
Fatcat Quiet baffle
Bagger brace
Dyno report; http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/dr...et-baffle.html

"Ya fargin' sneeky bastage!" Roman Troy Moronie

43 member
ceraaa42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

I have a 2008 Fat Bob and mostly just do local rides between NY, NJ and PA. I figured I wanted to stay around the 5 to 5.5k mark with the budget. I guess the warranty is sort of important.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Just as an FYI, I'm running the RB racing LSR 2-1 pipes on the bike.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

HDWRENCH wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you are dead set on HD parts the 113 kit vs the 110. Too many inssues currently with 110 cylinders with no soild MOCO backing when the cylinder fails. A nice 103 or 107 kit on the stock case built mild would offer some great low end tq. The only issue to really look at is the crank in your current engine now. Have the runout checked on both sprocket shaft and pinion shaft. THe MOCO spec is 100% pour B.S. last I read it was .012 . If you have over .003 I would look to swap the crank while you are doing the build add the Timken bearing in the process and you will have solid fondation to build the engine upon. Take a good luck at what direction you want to go. From there look at the budget and plan your new upgrades.

If you do decide to go into the bottom , due to the crank or you decide to go bigger take a look at a 117 kit. There are many 117 kits that run very well with tons of usable power.
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Hey HD Wrench,

Thanks for the reply. I guess my main reason for looking at the SE kits was based on my lack of education in the field and not knowing who to go to to get the work done in my area. From what I've read on these forums, it seems that most people don't trust the direction that the dealerships supply.

Bryan
Old 06-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member

arctic_mp7 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Bryan, You know you have long winters there and you can ship a motor through UPS/FEDEX or freight to someone like Steve (HDWRENCH) at GMR and have it back installed before spring. I have talked with him a few times and he gives up front and honest advice about builds and performance. Both he and Michele are very knowledable and straight forward. Just something to think about.

2011 Sedona Orange FLHX 103 stage II

Ultima 200 Rigid
DNA Springer
EVO motor, EV 46 cam, little bit of headwork and
42 Mikuni
Ultima 6 speed
2" belt drive

Retired Soldier (28 years of work), Now a Full time Technician (30 years & a lifetime of passion) (I am now growing my hair long)
arctic_mp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_mp7 View Post
Bryan, You know you have long winters there and you can ship a motor through UPS/FEDEX or freight to someone like Steve (HDWRENCH) at GMR and have it back installed before spring. I have talked with him a few times and he gives up front and honest advice about builds and performance. Both he and Michele are very knowledable and straight forward. Just something to think about.
Thanks Artic, HDWRENCH sent me a private message. I figured I'd try reaching out to him tomorrow or later on in the week depending on my work load. Just as an FYI, my girlfriend said the same thing, "why would you want to do any major work on the bike this time of year? Why don't you just wait until it gets colder?"
Old 06-23-2008, 06:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

thundercatken wants to know Dino or Syn?
Oh man ... I just read your signature. You're on Long Island ... due south of Huntington, right? Looks like 15-20 miles according to mapquest. Take a ride out to Rosa's Cycle shop and see what they have to say. They are great guys and really know their S**T. They run their own race program (Or they used to). I met Andy about 25 years ago at the track. I was running my Hemi Road Runner and he was running a shovelhead that was a legitimate 10 second bike. He was smoking the *** bikes way back then.

They have all in house CNC machines, Flow Bench, Dyno Tuning, ... anything you need.

Quite honestly, If I had somebody that good so close to me, I would decide how much I could spend, then see what they will do for that number. AND ... they warrantee every motor they build, I think it's 12 month/12 thousand miles.

http://www.rosascycle.com/index.html

Rosa's 540 New York Avenue, Huntington, NY 11743

When opening your mind to new ideas, don't open it so wide that your brains fall out.
thundercatken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement