Merch Fatso 100ci Engine : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2008, 04:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Runninfat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Merch Fatso 100ci Engine

I'm a FNG to this forum, so hey to all! I'm looking for info about the Merch Fatso 100ci engine. I believe it was in conjunction with Delkron but not sure. What ever info I can get would help. I've been to the Merch & Delkron web sites but can't find any reviews.
I have a 99 Evo (Softail) at the moment and have been offered a "Merch Fatso 100ci" engine, brand new, no miles. Before I make a decision ($$) I'd like to have more info about this motor, does anyone have any experience with it??
Is Ultima in with Merch now, someone said they were the same 100ci motors.
Again, any info will help!
Runninfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2008, 07:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
the fatso i am familiar with is evo lower, tc top. didnt know anyone mass produced them, thought you had to build it yourself. but, i dont read the mags. i know this didnt help much but here is something that will--

make sure the seller has the MSO on the cases. if so, the used engine is your gamble.

good luck. and if you have pics, we can identify the fatvo, errrr fatso.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
OUCH! That hurt

wfolarry wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have one. Sputhe cases, Twin Cam top end. A few other goodies. It's for sale. Going bigger. PM me if interested.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Runninfat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for the info so far. I am semi-familiar with the engine's history.... it was assembled/built by a private Harley mech I know. The internals, cam, pistons, rocker rollers, ect... I'm not 100% sure of right now. After assembly (0 miles) it was test fired and had a problem with oil pressure & circulation. Since it was still under a "warranty" from the manufacturer it was broken down and sent back (to Merch I believe). They found an obstructed oil passage which was done when it was initially machined so they fixed it and it's on the way back to us now.
It is the Evo bottom with TC top end w/ "fatso" engraved on the side of the heads. Since I've never run an engine like this, I was just curious if it would be a good motor to have. How's the history on these motors? When it gets here, I'll get a detailed list of components and put them on this post for opinions.
I got a 99 Softail now with a 200 out back, this motor should put out around 100hp and 107tq if I read right. I'm looking for a torque monster with a good power range, something that will get out of its own way! I do alot of secondary road ridin with the occasional "wound out sh***in & gittin" highway ridin (autostrada here in Italy) w/ some 350 mile day trips thrown in there...any suggestions?
wfolarry---I'll keep you in mind & let you know, thanks.
Runninfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
OUCH! That hurt

Merch has set up a web site for their motors being built in the UK I believe. I remember reading about it over the winter [I think on this board but not sure]. Like I said in my other post I built mine & it ran good. Used it to test different cams [tried 6 or 7] to see how it would respond. With a modofied Super G at 10.8-1 it liked the Redshift 647 the best. If all goes well you should be happy with that motor. I liked mine. On the highway I was always looking for another gear. The motor never felt like it was working hard.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
FNG :)

unicorn-96 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Smile parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfolarry View Post
I have one. Sputhe cases, Twin Cam top end. A few other goodies. It's for sale. Going bigger. PM me if interested.
How long did you run your Fatvo? I am making a decision on which way to go. BTW what do you have to sell and $ (always looking for a deal on a fixed income retired)
unicorn-96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
OUCH! That hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn-96 View Post
How long did you run your Fatvo? I am making a decision on which way to go. BTW what do you have to sell and $ (always looking for a deal on a fixed income retired)
I've got a complete motor. Sputhe cases, S&S wheels, Jim's rods, S&S hi-volume oil pump, several different cams that I've run in it, S&S lifters w/billet blocks & a few other goodies. The motor is set up to use regular Twin Cam pistons. They just need a stroker notch put in them to use. When I built it about 5 years ago it was the kind of build where you had to make everything. Stock TC heads with the pushrod holes [int.] welded & relocated. I have Jim's titanium pushrods in there now. Pulled it out of the bike it was running good. If you're interested [or if you know somebody that is] give me a call. It's priced right.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

streetg wants to know Dino or Syn?
I know this is an old thread but I'll throw my 2cents in. I've been running a Fatso motor in my 88 FXSTC for bout 8+- years now. Mine was made by a company called Milwaukee Performance and they did mass produce them. Lower end froim a Merch 120 with a SE 95" big bore kit on top, wound up at 100" with the Evo stroke. I love it, not sure of the cam, I think a screaming eagle. Only problem was that all the torque chewed up my shitty 1988 drivetrain. Cracked two primary cases , fixed that with one of those Carlini Torque arms. Then twice I sheared that silly little keyway holding my clutch onto my mainshaft, finally changed to a newer style splined mainshaft. Still love the motor, never dyno'd but seat of the pants says TORQUE MONSTER. I've had it for so long that I'm ready for more, thinking of having the heads done and getting a new cam, Could use some recomendations on that. Running thunderheader pipes with Mikuni carb.
streetg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement