Idle Air Control valve : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 07:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

RK05 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Idle Air Control valve

Don't know if this is the right spot so move if needed.

Is there a way to check the IAC valve without having the SE race tuner on a bike? I get fluctuations in idle sometimes when I come to a stop and would like to see if it may be sticking or something else wrong? Possibly hook up a DMM and watch the changes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Discarded Crew Member

ktwillys wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RK05 View Post
Don't know if this is the right spot so move if needed.

Is there a way to check the IAC valve without having the SE race tuner on a bike? I get fluctuations in idle sometimes when I come to a stop and would like to see if it may be sticking or something else wrong? Possibly hook up a DMM and watch the changes?
The simplest way it to have the stealer check it for you... really not a good option due to cost.
The next is to take to an Indy and have them check.. much better deal.

since the equipment needed to hook up to the HD system probably cost more than a SERT.... well..

No real easy way to check....

You can always remove the A/C and take a little carb cleaner and a soft rag and clean the area around the butterfly. Not much else you can do without the diagnostic equipment...

To be old and wise,
you must first be young and stupid......
Here's to old and stupid....

Orthopedic Motto
Screw it, Glue it, or Nail it..

DisCarded Crew

04 FLTRI
SE Welded/Balanced Flywheel
103 CI
CP Hi-Comp Pistons
Andrews 54G Gear Drive Cams
S&S Hi-Lift Valve Springs
Timken Conversion
Baisley SuperSTock Heads
V&H True Dual Headers
Bassani Slip-on Mufflers
T-Max Ignition System
Feuling Oil Pump
Custom Feuling Cam Plate
ktwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Wasn't sure if it put out a voltage signal to the ecm or what. I can build a test harness to plug into it if needed. I would rather Not take it to a dealer and I don't know if any indy's mess with that. I guess I need to do some more searching on how it communicates.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Totenkopf is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Wasn't sure if it put out a voltage signal to the ecm or what. I can build a test harness to plug into it if needed. I would rather Not take it to a dealer and I don't know if any indy's mess with that. I guess I need to do some more searching on how it communicates.
it is commanded by the number of steps needed. iirc, during the power up sequence it zeros out the stepper motor and then from the map in the ecu based on temp (iirc) counts the # of steps to be at for the conditions.

real easy to see with SERT in the Data Mode real time.

Totenkopf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
rtb
03 Heritage

rtb wants to know Dino or Syn?
The Daytona Sensors LLC twin scan II records IAC (idle air control) motor steps and TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) voltage. I have the older twin scan 88 model and I used it the adjust the TPS when I had to replace my throttle body.
rtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtb View Post
The Daytona Sensors LLC twin scan II records IAC (idle air control) motor steps and TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) voltage. I have the older twin scan 88 model and I used it the adjust the TPS when I had to replace my throttle body.
I guess I need to see if anyone close has one that I can borrow. It is not that big of a deal (yet). The idle just wants to drop sharply when I pull the clutch in coming to a stop but then climes back up.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
I guess I need to see if anyone close has one that I can borrow. It is not that big of a deal (yet). The idle just wants to drop sharply when I pull the clutch in coming to a stop but then climes back up.
it may be simple as a speed sensor that is dirty.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Axe Man

BVBOB wants to know Dino or Syn?
Keep in mind that any SERT will read your ecm in data mode, just have to find someone/anyone with a SERT that will let you use it.
553 bd cams
Power duals with re-core cvo
Welded crank

1982 FXRS
new paint
new tires
new brakes
new clutch
Soon to be back on the road

Being honest may not make you a lot of friends but it will always make you the right ones.
BVBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

03GLIDE_ wants to know Dino or Syn?
They do get sticky. I had bad idle problems that I couldn't cure until one day I sprayed a bunch of Sea Foam into the hole on the top of the throttle body looking at it with the air cleaner off. It has idled pefect ever since.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

I'll see if I know anyone who has the SERT on a laptop that I can use.

04Glide, what is Sea Foam some kind of cleaner?
Old 04-22-2008, 07:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

03GLIDE_ wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sea Foam is a cleaner/lubricant. It's right with the carb cleaners in the auto parts store. It's safe for throttle bodys. It comes in a spray can and a pour top can for adding to your fuel tank.