Compensator Question : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2008, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

JayDee5150 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Compensator Question

Hi all...This question stems from another thread I started in this forum where I described a very nasty noise and vibration coming from the bike last time I rode her. I got a lot of really good feedback that it may be a compensator problem.

I pulled my primary inspection cover off to view my compensator for damage and to see if it was loose.

The compensator looks to be in good shape. There are some savings in the primary oil, nothing really bad, mostly at the primary drain. My question is should you be able to turn the compensator with your fingers? Also, should there be any plan in the outer shell of the compensator?

I can turn the outer housing of the compensator with my fingertips fairly easy. Also, if I put pressure on the edge of the outer housing, there is a small amount of play in the compensator...enough to make it rattle back and forth.

Is this normal for the compensator?

Thanks again for your help everyone
JayDee5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2008, 01:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
MaxHeadflow

Bruce Woltz wants to know Dino or Syn?
Nope.

Bruce
Bruce Woltz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2008, 04:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Goin' Fast with Class

seamonkeyman wants to know Dino or Syn?
You are going to have to take the comp all apart, clean thoroughly and reassemble to spec. I think you will also want to inspect and clean all the threads on the shaft...if you have metal shavings you need to ID where they came from and give that part some attention.

Hopefully you have not stuffed your crank bearing.....

You will need the locking tools and a review of the procedure to retension everything properly. I cannot recall which sprocket is reverse threaded....I think its the clutch basket one and the comp sprocket is right hand threaded....

Some reckon you can use a wadded up rag to lock the chain/gears but I have heard stories of things getting "caddy-wampus" and the chain breaking as a result....

Some people have problems getting the right clamp load on the comp sprocket nut and there is actually a shim that can go underneath/behind it. Make note of any shims and their locations at disassembly and make sure you get the right tension specs across the board.

I think the tension procedure for the comp sprocket now involves a "Torque-Turn", after setting the clamp load with a tension wrench....FIND OUT.

My stealer fitted my new comp sprocket and clutch basket and failed to get it right. The freegin thing came loose at a big rally and nobody there (had a mechanics tent/workshop) had the locking tools or would tighten it up for me. Mind you this was at a State Hog Rally....pretty lame. Coulda bought new tyres..and had them mounted....but no comp sprocket attention??

Making matters worse, the Stealers Service manager was onsite, told him about it and he told me...."I am off the clock....bring it in...." This was about 18hours from "his shop"....

Its not a defect you want to keep operating your scoot with....

Let us know what you find when you get it all apart and cleaned up!!

Good Luck
LSR002 Spring, Thunderheader, SERT. Seat of Pants dyno only and always looking for a better SERT MAP!!
seamonkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dues are Paid

Panels wants to know Dino or Syn?
http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/belt%20install%201.htm

Tool for you on page two I believe...

2005 Deluxe
S&S 106" Crank, S&S Pistons, 10:25/1 Ported Heads, Comp. Releases,
S&S 585G, S&S Roller Tappets, SE Roller Rockers, SE Adj. PushRods, Feuling Oil Pump,
LMR-02 spring, SE Clutch Spring, Easy Pull Ramp, PCIII, V&H Big Shot Staggered

106hp/122tq

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
George Bernard Shaw
Panels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2008, 03:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Ok, I drained the primary fluid and pulled the outer primary cover off.

The compensator nut was indeed loose...I could loosen it up with my fingers.

I backed off the compensator nut and pulled the assembly off. It doesn't appear chewed up...the spring pack in the outer assemble is there, but can't tell if its good or bad.

I'm going to wait on going any farther on the tear down until I get my service manuel. It should be comming any day now. Then it's back to business.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0088.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	45554   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	45555   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0085.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	45556  
Old 04-18-2008, 03:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

tolson1948 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee5150 View Post
Ok, I drained the primary fluid and pulled the outer primary cover off.

The compensator nut was indeed loose...I could loosen it up with my fingers.

I backed off the compensator nut and pulled the assembly off. It doesn't appear chewed up...the spring pack in the outer assemble is there, but can't tell if its good or bad.

I'm going to wait on going any farther on the tear down until I get my service manuel. It should be comming any day now. Then it's back to business.
Another possibility where shavings came from is your rotor. Check that the splines are not eaten away.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Discarded Crew Member

ktwillys wants to know Dino or Syn?
If the compensator has come loose then the rotor (stator shell) is loose as well and could have contacted the stator. Be sure to check this.
the shell will come off fairly easily.
Just get a couple hooks (anything with a right angle on it will work) and draw the shell (rotor) straight out, it is magnetic so it will take a little effort.

Once you get this off look for any contact inside the rotor and on the stator.
Pay special attention to the grooves where the rotor mets the shaft.. These have been known to be rounded off and will allow the rotor to free spin on the shaft.
Be sure to check any of the thrust washers you take off and remember where they came from.

If you dont have the locking tool (35 dollar at the stealer) you will not be able to get the proper torque on the compensator nut... and use locktite and be sure the threads are clean.
Use brake cleaner for this as it will not leave a residue behind ..

good luck.

To be old and wise,
you must first be young and stupid......
Here's to old and stupid....

Orthopedic Motto
Screw it, Glue it, or Nail it..

DisCarded Crew

04 FLTRI
SE Welded/Balanced Flywheel
103 CI
CP Hi-Comp Pistons
Andrews 54G Gear Drive Cams
S&S Hi-Lift Valve Springs
Timken Conversion
Baisley SuperSTock Heads
V&H True Dual Headers
Bassani Slip-on Mufflers
T-Max Ignition System
Feuling Oil Pump
Custom Feuling Cam Plate
ktwillys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks for the great info seamonkeyman and ktwillys, I just got my 2004 Softail service manual in the mail today...gonna break it out and start reading up.

I'll post pictures as I go for anybody who want to view them...if they can. I'm really hoping I caught this before I did any serious damage. I did ride the bike another 50 miles after I started hearing noise...but I really tried to baby her back home those 50 miles as best I could.

I'll definitely be pulling the clutch basked, compensator, and chain off so that I can get a good cleaning on those cam threads. I looked in the compensator nut and there was plenty of lock tight in there, Iím thinking it wasn't put on when the cam threads were completely clean.

I'll make sure to check the rotor and stator while it's apart as well.

I was wondering, is there any "meaningful" way to check the condition of cam bearing behind the stator at this point? Or would I need to tear the bike down farther to get a realistic view of the bearing?
Old 04-19-2008, 12:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Discarded Crew Member

ktwillys wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee5150 View Post
I'll make sure to check the rotor and stator while it's apart as well.

I was wondering, is there any "meaningful" way to check the condition of cam bearing behind the stator at this point? Or would I need to tear the bike down farther to get a realistic view of the bearing?
JayDee,, sorry to say that no you will not get a look at the flywheel bearing. It is behind a seal and you would have to pull the seal and stator out to see the bearing and even then you would not get a good look at it..

have fun with this project....

make sure you have a good torque wrench in hand as well and dont over torque anybolts that go into aluminum.

To be old and wise,
you must first be young and stupid......
Here's to old and stupid....

Orthopedic Motto
Screw it, Glue it, or Nail it..

DisCarded Crew

04 FLTRI
SE Welded/Balanced Flywheel
103 CI
CP Hi-Comp Pistons
Andrews 54G Gear Drive Cams
S&S Hi-Lift Valve Springs
Timken Conversion
Baisley SuperSTock Heads
V&H True Dual Headers
Bassani Slip-on Mufflers
T-Max Ignition System
Feuling Oil Pump
Custom Feuling Cam Plate
ktwillys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Ok, I finally got some work done on the bike. I pulled the primary drive assembly out of the bike and had a good look around.

Everything looked ok except for the rotor. The vibration took a toll on the rotor splines and they buggered up a bit. Luckily, no major damage to the crank splines...some slight marks from the vibration, but all in all they look ok. I am going to get a new rotor from the stealer today and pick up a shim to increase the thread bite on the compensator nut. I got all my loctite stuff together except for the primer spray.

Below are some new pic's of the work in progress. Check out the picture of the rotor, I set two 90 degree picks on top of it. That’s what I used to remove the rotor from the stator...no need to purchase one of those rotor pullers...it came off pretty easy with the picks...just be sure to apply equal pressure when you pull it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0020.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	45877   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	45878   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	45879   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0023.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	45880  

Last edited by JayDee5150; 05-03-2008 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 05-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
FNG :)

SAUZAGOLD wants to know Dino or Syn?
Compensator Loose

Mine came loose lat year under warrantee. It wiped out the rotor and Stator.

The Stealer fixed it under warrantee. 3 months later loose again -not under warrantee. took it apart myself, made a locking tool out of a piece of solid nylon stock. Bought the spacer. It appears that one of the problems is that the nut bottoms out before proper torque is reached. The spacer solves that problem . Others have even staked the nut with a roll pin to prevent recurrence.

I torqued my to a 150 ft lbs and no problem since. Very important to clean th assembly and degrease then use plenty of red locktite..
SAUZAGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2008, 12:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Ok, all of my parts came in. I installed the new rotor and the spacer to increase the thread bite of the compensator nut. All threads were cleaned thoroughly and primed with loctite primer before red loctite was applied.

I did everything to factory specs...applied to drops of red loctite to the comp nut and clutch basked nut...torqued everything to specs...I hope this does it!

I'm going to let the loctite cure for 24 hours before putting the primary back on and filling her up with oil.

Here are a couple of pictures of the primary assembly back together and the spacer behind the comp nut.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0031.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	46009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0025.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	46010  
Old 05-11-2008, 11:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
FNG :)

benboozer wants to know Dino or Syn?
good luck i was able to get my rotor off using a paint bucket handle and the compensating nut and chain off by loosening the cahin adjuster dept me from having to pull clutch basket
benboozer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Shift_Happens

HarlessR wants to know Dino or Syn?
Great post, wondering were I could get one of these spacers for the nut?
Thanks, Harless

2005 FLHT
88" Andrews 21N cams
HarlessR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2008, 10:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlessR View Post
Great post, wondering were I could get one of these spacers for the nut?
Thanks, Harless
It's a dealer part bro...if you go to the parts counter at the dealer they should know which one you should use. I'll dig up the one I used and shoot you the part number if you'd like.

PM me to remind me because I'll probably forget!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.