Six Speed in an 02 Road King? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

davidtn wants to know Dino or Syn?
Six Speed in an 02 Road King?

I've where several forum posters have commented that the 2002 model was a good year so I guess I'm fortunate in that regard. My question is...do any of you have any experience with changing out a 5 speed to a 6 speed? If so, what brand did you use and are you satisfied with it? I've read good things about the Baker brand. What about the Screaming Eagle six speed?

Thanks.

With sufficient thrust pigs fly just fine.
davidtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008, 03:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
FNG :)

TOP GEAR wants to know Dino or Syn?
Baker DD6 is the only way to go, no mods to case and shifts like a *** bike. I have one in all 3 of mine. Keep the 02 it's a good bike
TOP GEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

jbxmn wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtn View Post
I've where several forum posters have commented that the 2002 model was a good year so I guess I'm fortunate in that regard. My question is...do any of you have any experience with changing out a 5 speed to a 6 speed? If so, what brand did you use and are you satisfied with it? I've read good things about the Baker brand. What about the Screaming Eagle six speed?

Thanks.
I had a Baker in my 2000 Road King. I was happy with it until that piece of **** arlene ness big sucker broke off my throttle body. I turned my bike upside down in a ditch outside texarkana, arkansas, on the way to sturgis, looking for what was left of that piece of ****. Anyway unknow to me I also lost the oil out of my tranny. I ran it for another 4000 miles before the baker took a dump. It shifted funny and then failed. I called baker was honest and told them what had happened. I didn't ask them to warranty it, I just asked for a little help. Anyway they pissed me off, so I ordered a revtech gearset and put it in my stock case. Hard to shift into neutral when cold. Other than that I like it better than the baker. The shifting is more "solid". Revtech gearset cost me about 600 and Baker complete tranny cost 3600.
Baker does make a very good tranny, but I was surprised at how good the revtech is. I've put about 20K on the revtech.
If your bike is stock it is best to stay away from a 6 speed.
jbxmn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
wanderer

jochase1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I put a Baker OD 6 speed in my 02 road King, shifted like butter and was quiet. You do need a motor that will pull the extra gear, but that's not a bad thing! I've got a HD 6 speed in my 04 E-Glide now, and it shifts like a tractor compared to the baker. I pulled the baker out when i sold the RK, but by then I already had put the HD in my EG. The Baker is still on my shelf, waiting for a good home.

04 FLHT 124" S&S 640 ez xxx super g IST
02 FXST 103" 615/585 Mik 45
Not all who wander are lost
jochase1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

dr dave wants to know Dino or Syn?
baker is best but way too expensive for me.
i have two screamin eagle 6 speed gear kits in 01 bikes and have had no problems. i bought them on ebay new for considerably less than dealer cost. if i had to pay retail, i would look at the revtech's like jbxmn said - our local mechanic uses them a lot - he builds lots of trikes and does many upgrades on baggers - and has found them to be very durable. seems like they may have a long warranty on some models.

don't know if 6 speed would help much on stock bike, but very nice on bigger bore bikes. drops my cruising speed about 300 rpm at least on my bagger at 70mph (3000 rpm down to just over 2600) in sixth gear with the screamin eagle kit. doesn't seem to help unless you are running at least 65-70 mph minimum. on my 116 dyna that has a 4 5/8" stroke flywheel, i run 2200 rpm at 70 mph and although i never run that fast, it runs 90mph at 3000 rpm in sixth - hard to tell if it helps on mileage on that engine build, but i sure like the six speeds. most say they are not worth the cost unless you are running high speeds on long straight-ways, but i like mine a lot just cruising at 70-75 max.
dr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

BR90FXR wants to know Dino or Syn?
I swithched to 3.37 primary gearing and found highway cruising ( 80-90 mph ) turning too high RPMs. Bought a Ultima 6 speed Softail Trans swapped the gear sets. You have to make several minor modification. 1) You need to trim about .250 inch from the shifter arm bushing , 2) you need to space out your oil fill spout about 1 inch due to the crankcase vent hose, 3) you need to run a new vent hose, you will need to reposition the speedo pick-up from the stock case to the Ultima trap door 5) you will need to buy a speedometer calibration unit to recalibrate your speedometer. Pretty easy swap. Well worth the time and money. Shifts like butter, you find neutral from second gear, cuts revs about 500 RPMs at cruising speed.
BR90FXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

jbxmn - I'm curious as to why you say to stay away from putting in the 6 speed if my bike is stock?

Thanks.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

BigMike wants to know Dino or Syn?
Basically you get what you pay for.

I'd only install a Baker in my bike.
Paint By Attitude Custom Painting
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

road_king wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
jbxmn - I'm curious as to why you say to stay away from putting in the 6 speed if my bike is stock?
jbxmn is more than welcome to respond as well, but a stock bike would really only benefit from a 6 speed if your putting some serious high speed highway miles on it.
road_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

jbxmn wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

Thanks.
With a stock bike I don't believe you'll have enough power to use 6th gear.
jbxmn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
you may want to stay away from Revtech until this settles down. Parent company of Custom Chrome is in Ch 11. May pose problems as far as future warrantee service. And you'll probably need it.
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080211/globa...ptcy.html?.v=1
somebody else here posted this.

I wouldn't buy a POS revtech anyway as it's just a taiwanese knock off...Early on i used some CC/Revtech parts on an engine build that eventually went south apparently to cheap parts. My bad live & learn
JMO
Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway

Last edited by 1bdBagr; 02-26-2008 at 05:36 PM.
1bdBagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
I know a few people who have revtech trannys and they have never had a lick of trouble with them. Personally, I don't think that a 6 sp is needed, particulary on a bike with a BB and some extra HP/TQ. I don't think that it is needed.

For the cost of a Baker 6 sp, you can build that TC88 to have over 100/100. You won't need the extra gear, then.

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

stretch wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66paul View Post

For the cost of a Baker 6 sp, you can build that TC88 to have over 100/100. You won't need the extra gear, then.

Having horsepower and having gear is 2 different things. Horse power doesn't overcome high rpm's on the highway. The 6 speed does. As the others have said, its beneficial to have a a few more ponies to get the full benefits of the 6 speed, without it, you may find yourself downshifting a bit more than you would if you had more torque. I have a Baker DD6 on my Ultra Classic and its awesome. Quiet, smooth shifting and easy to get neutral. On the other hand, I rode a Road King with a SE 6 speed and it was fine also, feels a bit different but not in a bad way, quiet and effective. Minor case mod for the SE-6 but none needed for the DD6 but the DD6 uses a different front primary sprocket and chain, all included in the DD6 package. I also had to use a speedo re calibrator while my buddy with the SE-6 didn't need to do anything for the speedo. I got a good deal on the DD6 so I went that way but if I had to purchase retail, I would not have a problem with either tranny.

JD's Cycle Works built 107", Baisley Ported heads, Axtell cylinders, TW6HG, Thundermax w/Autotune, 2-1 D&D FatCat, Baker DD6 120 hp/122 torque (uncorrected) 113/116 SAE
stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Coolmaker wants to know Dino or Syn?
I installed the Baker DD6 in my 06 FLHRCI and love it. Shifts great, neutral is a breeze to find. Highly recommend the DD6.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks for all the great input so far. At this point in time I'm leaning toward just keeping things where they are. The bike works great so why chance changing things to where I might not be satisfied.

Last edited by davidtn; 02-27-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement