Terry Components Terminal Velocity II : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

cruiser85257 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Terry Components Terminal Velocity II

My adventure with Terry Components and their Terminal Velocity II started back in the Fall of 2006. I bought one of the original ones that had to be soldered into the HD wiring harness. I had my dealer do it for warranty reasons. It didn't help that they connected it wrong. Finally I figured it out and got the wiring straight. The unit seemed to improve throttle response, fuel mileage was definitely good in the mid 40's. But I had a problem with high idles that wouldn't go away. So after many phone calls to Jim their tech support, I say many because I had to keep calling back as he never returned my call. I was authorized to return the unit for a new one. A couple of months later I finally received my new unit. However the case was cracked and after showing them a picture they had me return it for a third unit. Eventually the third unit came one of the new FM220Q's (plug and play). Now I even had a new Bike to play with my 07 Street Glide. I put the new unit on and as before I felt better throttle response, fuel mileage was good in the mid 40's, but I just felt that the engine was running too hot. So more calls to Jim, pictures of my white spark plugs, and a detailed report of my infrared thermometer readings. Jim agreed that it was too hot and told me to send it back for a new one. So now I wait again, keep calling Jim, as he never calls back. In fact one day I called and was asked who was it, I answered my name and was told Jim was out sick all day. I had my wife call back 10 minutes later and you guessed it Jim answered the phone. So now he promised me he was sending me a new one. Finally like last wednesday the unit was sent as I was given a UPS tracking number. Jim told me I would receive it in two days. According to the tracking number it was sent ground and would take 7 days to arrive. Today my package arrived. I was expecting a box but received a Manila envelope instead. Inside the envelope was what looked like a used Terminal Velocity II with all the wiring wound up and a big rubber band holding it together. The plastic box it normally comes in wasn't present, now were the instructions or the electrical crimps used to hook it up. The Plastic box I had carefully wrapped up the unit I returned and they couldn't even use it to send it back to me.

I called Terry Components and asked for the owner Keith. Instead I got Jim. So if you want to get Jim to call you ask for Keith. I asked Jim what the hell was this mess he sent me. He said they had to test it before they sent it. I asked what test's did he perform. He drew a blank and couldn't answer. I asked him if they ran the bike hot and took a temp reading of the heads as this was my problem. His answer was no. I asked if they tested the AFR with a sniffer. Once again his answer was no. I described the shape I received the unit and asked him what happened to my new unit he promised. He insisted it was the new unit. Now I have included pictures so you can see the poor shape this used unit was sent to me. I'm talking serious scratch and gouge marks on the back. I'm talking about a crank position sensor coupling that is cracked and broken. Inside it is suppose to have to square pegs that fit into two square holes in the female side. One of the square plastic pegs is broken off and missing. The outer housing is cracked and all scratched up. This is how they honor their promises and return a new unit as promised.

I have included pictures so you can see the poor condition of a badly used unit that they are trying to pass off to me as being new. I have been a patient Man since the fall of 2006. All I ever wanted was a unit that worked. Instead I have been ignored, told repeatedly that they will call me only to never call me back. Lied to about what the unit operates at AFR wise. Everytime I asked I got a different answer. I am posting this so no one else has to go through what I have endured. I seriously doubt I will get anything back at this point and have no false expectations knowing what they have done to me in the past.

Maybe for some it is working. After reading my ordeal I hope you see how truely lucky you are.

Keith Terry if you read this make good on promises that said I would receive a brand new unit. Not this banged up, scratched up, broken unit.

Send Terry Components and email and let them know what you think. kterry@terrycomp.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backofunit.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	44720   Click image for larger version

Name:	broken crank sensor.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	44721   Click image for larger version

Name:	cracked crank sensor.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	44722   Click image for larger version

Name:	New unit.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	44723  

Last edited by cruiser85257; 02-21-2008 at 01:35 PM.
cruiser85257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2008, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
harleys_n_laddertrucks

trucky911 wants to know Dino or Syn?
That story will stop a lot of people from buying that product...

Trucky911
trucky911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Yardstick wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have also had experience that was lacking with the company.....nowhere near as bad as that; but, pushing it. I personally will never do business with them again nor recommend them.
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Skivvy9r wants to know Dino or Syn?
You're a patient man, maybe too patient. A year and a half into this and you're still fighting. I'd have quit on them after the second unit arrived broke. It's gone on so long you'll never get your money back and their reputation is damaged goods. Time to give up and go to a SERT (if you can still get one).
Skivvy9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dues are Paid

Panels wants to know Dino or Syn?
E-mail this thread to Terry also...

2005 Deluxe
S&S 106" Crank, S&S Pistons, 10:25/1 Ported Heads, Comp. Releases,
S&S 585G, S&S Roller Tappets, SE Roller Rockers, SE Adj. PushRods, Feuling Oil Pump,
LMR-02 spring, SE Clutch Spring, Easy Pull Ramp, PCIII, V&H Big Shot Staggered

106hp/122tq

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
George Bernard Shaw
Panels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

99igor wants to know Dino or Syn?
I purchased one and then sold it on ebay about a year later and never put it on my bike. I put in a zippers tmax with autotune and never looked back.

99FLHTCI 1550
Bishops Preformance Hammer Heads stage 2
Se 10.25:1 pistons
Zippers 50mm throttle body
S&S 570 gear drive
Zippers air cleaner
Supertrapp Supermeg exhaust
Zippers Thunder Max with Auto Tune

Remember, no matter where you go, there you are
99igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Yeah, I guess you could say I was patient. During all this time I did trade in one Bike for the 07 Street Glide. I giess I was really hoping it would work as advertised. Now how nice would that be to never have to adjust anything again? It works in certain aspects like the fuel mileage always went up with it. But it did nothing for the engine heat. I finally measured it and on a 65 degree day the rear head was 350 degrees. I called Jim and he said that was too Hot. That and the pictures of my white spark plugs motivated him to tell me to send it in for a new one. You can imagine my dissapointemt when I opened the envelope and saw a bunch of wires wrapped with a rubber band. The Crank sensor is cracked and a square tooth from inside it is broken off and gone. Jim still insists that this is brand new. I was born at night, just not last night.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Finally spoke to Keith the owner this morning, and he made it short and sweet. He refuses to go any further and told me to go back to the distributor I bought it from. I wasn't aware the distributor held the warranty (NOT).

I suppose my posting up here got me my results. But after almost a year and a half I decided I've had enough. I realized these results could come of my posting my experience and made the decision knowing I would lose. Of course you have to have something of value first to be in a position to lose. I lost a year and a half ago when I made a decision to buy a product.

That's all Folks...
Old 02-22-2008, 01:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
?????

msocko3 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sounds like they suk big time. I sure wouldn't recomend them to anyone, not with sh!tty customer service like that.

Red Bike Powered By Head-Quarters 120.. Easier Clutch Pull By ClutchWIZ.com
2012 GL1800 Hannigan.
msocko3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

How do you like your HQ?
Old 02-24-2008, 01:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
?????

msocko3 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser85257 View Post
How do you like your HQ?
Wish I would have done it the 1st time around. I'd do it again except I'd go 113 instead of just a 95. Doug is a straight shooter and puts out a great product.

Red Bike Powered By Head-Quarters 120.. Easier Clutch Pull By ClutchWIZ.com
2012 GL1800 Hannigan.
msocko3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

What kind of numbers are you putting out with the 95? What are you using for fuel mngt.?
Old 02-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

bountyhunter wants to know Dino or Syn?
TTV = GARBAGE

bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member

Zadok wants to know Dino or Syn?
Great post. Was just speaking with my pops about
this unit. He has decided to go with the SERT.

Consider an email sent, just give me about another minute
to do so. There is one thing I will not tolerate as a consumer,
and that is poor, lacking, rude, and just plain non existent
customer service. Im sure Terry will argue that YOU were
a pain in the azz......Well Terry....If you had a product worth
a damn in the first place then this CUSTOMER that spends
all HIS $$$$$$$ on YOUR product wouldnt have to try and
correct an issue.
TERRY.....stories like this make potential customers like me
spread the word fast to ALL my contacts locally. And man
what a list.

TTV probably owes you some money back PLUS, after all you
did do some field testing for him.

On the same line of customer service responses....thats
why I have continued doing business with KURYAKYN....
they have GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE.....

JMHO.

gotta go send an email real quick.

Later.

Just Ride....
Zadok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Premium Member

Zadok wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thought you might enjoy reading the email I sent to TTV.
--------------------------------------------------------

Dear K. Terry,

After several discussions between my dad and myself, concerning your Terminal Velocity product,
we were considering a purchase for immediate install. We first heard of your product following an
article read in American Iron Magazine written by Donny Petterson. The claims, made by your own
advertising, about your Tuner were very interesting to say the least. Having now researched your
companies reputation, for resolving customer issues with your product, we have now made a decision
on two competitors products. The SE Race Tuner and the Power Commander III USB.
With that being said I would like to tell you that Customer Service is the foundation to the ultimate
success of your business. When you produce a product that you, in the end, decide not to stand
behind, then do not presume your potential customers will either. I find it very disturbing that you would
release a product that seemingly has issues with causing high engine temperatures, poor AFR
percentages, and obviously quality. I also find it disturbing that you allow your staff to lie to your
past customers, just to keep from facing an obvious issue of my previously stated concerns.
I will also be sending an email to American Iron Magazine about my thoughts on your product and
reputation among those of us that ride and choose to purchase products from reliable, honest, and
well intended businesses.
Please take the time to resolve current issues with your past and present customers if you want to see
future customers be a part of your success. I challenge you to face your business issues with
dignity, honesty, and integrity.

Sincerely,
G. Justin Russell
Tulsa, OK

Just Ride....
Zadok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement