oil dipstick blowing out : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

nc-renegade wants to know Dino or Syn?
oil dipstick blowing out

I just completed installing new cams, feuling camplate and feuling super pump. Aligned everything by feuling's method. Started engine and everything was fine, however within a minute, my oil dipstick was blown out.

There is a lot of pressure in my softail oil tank. I've lowered the oil level down by a quart, but this did not help. Any thoughts?

Regards
11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, Baisley Roller Rocker arms, SE Forged Stroker-worked by Darkhorse Cranks, T-Man TR-662 roller driven cams, HD-B Lifters, Feuling Camplate, Superpump and Adjustable Pushrods, Wiseco Pistons, Cometic .030", HPI 51mm Throttle Body, SE Bullet Breather, AIM Lockup Clutch and easy pull ramp
V&H Propipe 2-1, THUNDERMAX w/AT, Legend Air, Zumo 550
nc-renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
ovanay elinquentday

GPO03FatBoy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc-renegade View Post
I just completed installing new cams, feuling camplate and feuling super pump. Aligned everything by feuling's method. Started engine and everything was fine, however within a minute, my oil dipstick was blown out.

There is a lot of pressure in my softail oil tank. I've lowered the oil level down by a quart, but this did not help. Any thoughts?

Regards
Mine did the same.

I don't know if you manually filled your cam/crank chests before the start up, but I did and that contributed to my high pressure on the first startup, until it scavenged down to normal levels.

The thing that really fixed this for me was drilling out the banjo bolts on the breathers and externally venting using over-sized tubing. On my bike, it made a big difference to improve the air flow out of the breathers, rather than having it force its way through the vent tube to vent into the oil tank. After I improved the breather bolt setup it quit blowing my fill cap and quit frothing my oil tank.

09 XR1200
A few gewgaws - no chrome
Tune by Phaedrus

Quote:
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
John Bernard Books
43+ HP / 43+ Ft-lbs
GPO03FatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

prophet wants to know Dino or Syn?
I see you have an LMR oil spring...that little guy may be aiding your problem. I found after installing the Baisley spring, that I couldn't run some aftermarket oil filters. Mine works fine with the HD oil filter, AMsoil 20/50 and about 1/2 quart shy of a full load. My question is, what kind of oil filter are you using?

2010 FLHTK, SE-204/1.725 rockers, SEST, VH Pro-Pipe, Roland Sands Breather, Arnott Air Suspension.
prophet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this? HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:

Regards
Check your head breathers tosee if they are moving air....if not look inside rocker box at the breather and the gaskets for a blockage. You don't have the S&S breather behind the oil pump do you, if so remove it.
Just some places to look.....
HDMD88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 09:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMD88 View Post
Check your head breathers tosee if they are moving air....if not look inside rocker box at the breather and the gaskets for a blockage. You don't have the S&S breather behind the oil pump do you, if so remove it.
Just some places to look.....
Thanks Doc and others. My first thought was to check the breathers too. No S&S breather in the cam chest.

GPO03FatBoy, I did not have this problem until this latest camplate/oil pump install. I am also using the TP rocker boxes and I used the standard HD rocker box gaskets instead of the metal ones that came with them. I'm going to check to see if this is an issue. Perhaps I had a brain fart and installed the front one wrong and covered up the oil passage. (I doubled checked the rear when installed and it is right)

Prophet, I have not updated my signature line yet. I'm running the feuling camplate and it has already been setup for higher oil pressure, so I do not have the LMR 002 spring installed. I am using HD's oil filter.
11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, Baisley Roller Rocker arms, SE Forged Stroker-worked by Darkhorse Cranks, T-Man TR-662 roller driven cams, HD-B Lifters, Feuling Camplate, Superpump and Adjustable Pushrods, Wiseco Pistons, Cometic .030", HPI 51mm Throttle Body, SE Bullet Breather, AIM Lockup Clutch and easy pull ramp
Old 02-08-2008, 05:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
ovanay elinquentday

GPO03FatBoy wants to know Dino or Syn?
NC

Checking that gasket is a good idea. Like Doc mentioned I also looked through the top end for vent passage blockage.

Prior to this build when I just had the stock camplate and LMR spring, I didn't have good oil separation in the breather filters and I had oil filling the passages to the breather bolt holes. Aside from misting a bit of oil, when the oil filled the channels in the heads it caused some of the pressure to vent to the oil tank also. That was an easy fix. I just ran a bit through the poorly cast drip holes in the rocker bases so that the oil separating in the breather assembly could drip back into the engine and not fill up the air passages.

But on my new build, like yours, using the Feuling plate and pump, I started popping the filler plug regularly. I also jumped my CR from 9.8 to 10.8, so I can't blame the camplate but I definitely am moving more air internally. What fixed the plug popping for me and stopped the oil from dripping down the side of the tank after a high speed or high rpm run, was opening up those external breather fittings. I suppose one could do the same with the fittings that run into the intake, but I didn't want any oil mist going back in there. The problem I saw with my stock HD banjos was that they needed to be bored out internally, plus they fit too tightly against their fitting and the channel in the outside of the bolt that the air is supposed to bleed to, is too shallow. I ended up with a bolt that had a larger internal passage and a deeper channel around the outside, and that freed up the venting air flow. Since I was running a tube down to the bottom of the frame, I also went to a slightly larger ID, so it vented easily. No more plug popping and no more frothed oil pushing out of the fittings at the top of the oil tank! At least that's what worked for me...

Good luck.

09 XR1200
A few gewgaws - no chrome
Tune by Phaedrus

Quote:
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
John Bernard Books
43+ HP / 43+ Ft-lbs
GPO03FatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

HDWRENCH wants to know Dino or Syn?
Your not by chance running a set of TP rocker boxes are you?? AS the rest what you need to check has been covered well. As you cannot use a stock base gasket with the Tp boxes unless you modify it.
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2008, 07:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWRENCH View Post
Your not by chance running a set of TP rocker boxes are you?? AS the rest what you need to check has been covered well. As you cannot use a stock base gasket with the Tp boxes unless you modify it.
Thanks Steve, you are 100% correct. I had thrown out my old gaskets a couple weeks ago and I decided to go with stock...bad decision.

Because I did not have TP gaskets, I put the stock boxes back on and all is well. Looks like the stock gasket will work, as you mentioned, it you drill out a hole in each gasket.

Thanks for all the help!
NC
Old 02-09-2008, 09:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Location: Land Of The Free and Home Of The Brave, United States Of America
1711tab wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Thanks Steve, you are 100% correct. I had thrown out my old gaskets a couple weeks ago and I decided to go with stock...bad decision.

Because I did not have TP gaskets, I put the stock boxes back on and all is well. Looks like the stock gasket will work, as you mentioned, it you drill out a hole in each gasket.

Thanks for all the help!
NC

Glad to see you got it fixed.....
1711tab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2008, 12:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

AZFXSTB wants to know Dino or Syn?
Funny just put new heads on (Thanks Steve, get well soon buddy) and had this problem and I never did understand why people talked about better breathers and such...funny how alot of the mystery starts to become clear as you build up your bike...anyways off to get a small drillbit to bore out the banjo bolts

AKA: azleatherneck

Come say Hi
AZFXSTB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Kivaari wants to know Dino or Syn?
S&S reed valve

So....what's up with the S&S reed crankcase vent...??????

In my build, I installed one with the newer 99b oil pump............never had any crankcase vent oil dripping until after these two new items went in...........
Kivaari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

Money Pit wants to know Dino or Syn?
You can get one of these or make your own...http://feulingparts.com/wp/feuling/v...breather-kits/

Money Pit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 08:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member

Fixuntilbroke wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just installed the fueling oil pump and camplate before tearing down and it slobbered oil out the pushrod tubes, im using larger banjo bolts, maybe ill drill em out more, any thoughts on daurghty (sp?) breathers? worth it or no?
Bored G w/T jet
640 Easy Starts
Borzilla
Rivera Primo
R&D Transmission
Chain Conversion
Always a list of breaking or broken parts
Fixuntilbroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 08:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member

Fixuntilbroke wants to know Dino or Syn?
i always have suction in my oil tank (tranny) not pressure
Bored G w/T jet
640 Easy Starts
Borzilla
Rivera Primo
R&D Transmission
Chain Conversion
Always a list of breaking or broken parts
Fixuntilbroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.