Mill heads or high compression pistons : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2007, 05:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

ride4daze wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mill heads or high compression pistons

Is it better to mill the heads for more compression or use high compression pistons. I don't want to get into throttle body fitment issues, and I would like to reuse the stock pushrods if possible. Which is the best approach to getting the compression, that most aftermarket cams need. I'm starting a 95" build and need some advise.
Thanks
2006 Road King, SE/AC, Rinehart Duels, Andrews TW26a cams, 95" big bore, Bigboyzs street port heads, .030 head gaskets, 3:37 primary gearing, sert with tune by me.
ride4daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2007, 06:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Location: Land Of The Free and Home Of The Brave, United States Of America
1711tab wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4daze
Is it better to mill the heads for more compression or use high compression pistons. I don't want to get into throttle body fitment issues, and I would like to reuse the stock pushrods if possible. Which is the best approach to getting the compression, that most aftermarket cams need. I'm starting a 95" build and need some advise.
Thanks

If it were me I'd do the heads.....
1711tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium octane member

TXCHOP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Thanks
What kind of compression do you want? Which type of cams you going to run. It make a difference. Going to 95 with an .03 gasket will bump the compresion a bit as well.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

I was thinking about using the Andrews 37 , so I'm guessing 9.5 to 9.8 to 1. The SE cast HC pistons are 10:25:1 so with a stock gasket they might work and keep things close to the same height as stock. What are the advantages to one method over the other are. Also if the piston makes to much compression, why not just mill the piston for the right amount? I'm just looking for some ideas to talk to the machine shop about.
2006 Road King, SE/AC, Rinehart Duels, Andrews TW26a cams, 95" big bore, Bigboyzs street port heads, .030 head gaskets, 3:37 primary gearing, sert with tune by me.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this? HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
I was thinking about using the Andrews 37 , so I'm guessing 9.5 to 9.8 to 1. The SE cast HC pistons are 10:25:1 so with a stock gasket they might work and keep things close to the same height as stock. What are the advantages to one method over the other are. Also if the piston makes to much compression, why not just mill the piston for the right amount? I'm just looking for some ideas to talk to the machine shop about.
Milling .060 off the head and a .030 cometic head gasket will get you what your looking for in compression...and you can still use your stock push rods. A flat top piston is better than a dome piston because it is the floor of your combustion chamber....the low floor doesn't interfere with air flow during valve overlap to fill the cylinder better. The dome piston will divert some of that early air flow.

What you have to be careful of when milling heads is the size of the valves...the larger the valves the closer they get to the head gasket surface and this can and will interfere with shrouding the valve or the valve can hit the eyebrow of the piston.
HDMD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
killer sperm

Milehog wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm assuming you are going to bore your cylinders to 95". If that's the case then you're going to buy pistons anyway. Chose a set that will achieve your target compression, as mentioned they can be milled if needed.
Like you I'm a fan of stock pushrods. They're paid for, don't go out of adjustment and they're stiff.
Good luck
Old 12-07-2007, 07:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
IMO, the combustion chambers should be measured before making those decisions. The combustion chamber sizes typically fall between 86-88cc but they could be anywhere from 84 to 91cc in stock form. Until you know exactly what you have to start with it's all guess work.

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Thanks for the advise everybody, I shipped my heads and cyls. to Big Boyz this week, I was just trying to get some ideas for questions to ask when I call to discuss the build next week.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Thanks for the advise everybody, I shipped my heads and cyls. to Big Boyz this week, I was just trying to get some ideas for questions to ask when I call to discuss the build next week.
good decision!!!!
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
MaxHeadflow

Bruce Woltz wants to know Dino or Syn?
I got a better idea.. Increase the displacement until you get the compression ratio you want with flattops... Bruce
Bruce Woltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Woltz
I got a better idea.. Increase the displacement until you get the compression ratio you want with flattops... Bruce
hehe, another great idea!
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

HDWRENCH wants to know Dino or Syn?
I like to avoid cutting the head to a large amount. As there are two sides to the coin. Yes you can mill the heads and go that route. But if you spend the money on the porting and later you want to go bigger say 103 then you are at a much higher compression than if you would have used a very small dome. Example the piston that we spec'd out to JE has a 3 cc dome now this is a very very small dome and does not cause the problems that a larger dome can, as DOc pointed out. The upside is that you have to remove very little from the heads this way. You hit your target compression with a thinner head gasket, and very little millig on the head. You are not shrouding the valves. Your piston to valve clearance is much larger, and the cam selection is more open for larger cams in the future ( more lift etc) and to go bigger in engine size.

And until you know what size chamber you have you are playing a guessing game. And this was pointed out by Springer. We see most of the heads in the 86-87 range.

The pushrod thing I like adjustables, as I am not a fan of running the plunger that low in the lifter body. that is my opinion . You can get a adjustable that is stronger and stiffer than the stock unit. Money wise yes it is great that you can reuse parts. You are back to checking what size chambers you have , maybe you only need to remove 20, or 30 from the deck . Or you have to remove 80??

You are on the right track and the other guys have all given you great advice. Good luck with the new build.
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMD88
Milling .060 off the head and a .030 cometic head gasket will get you what your looking for in compression...and you can still use your stock push rods. A flat top piston is better than a dome piston because it is the floor of your combustion chamber....the low floor doesn't interfere with air flow during valve overlap to fill the cylinder better. The dome piston will divert some of that early air flow.

What you have to be careful of when milling heads is the size of the valves...the larger the valves the closer they get to the head gasket surface and this can and will interfere with shrouding the valve or the valve can hit the eyebrow of the piston.
That much difference shoundn't be used with stock pushrods, that is a big difference (about .077). I would use adjustable push rods here.

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this? HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66paul
That much difference shoundn't be used with stock pushrods, that is a big difference (about .077). I would use adjustable push rods here.
By all means please do....if the rods spin the valves are closed, if the rod doesn't spin valve is still open you need adjustables. Personally if the rod doesn't spin I install a -.030 S/E perfect fit rod. What ever floats you boat.
HDMD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

KingofCubes wants to know Dino or Syn?
I usually go with the domes on the street. The tight ports and quench work very well and I have seen many drag heads (and some street) leak under the exhaust ports so like to see as much material thickness there as I can get.

515-266-6381

www.kingofcubes.com

KingofCubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement