Why not SE 204 cams??? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2007, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

R1Geezrglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question Why not SE 204 cams???

This is for the cam swapping motorheads out there. I've looked at tons of dyno sheets with all different setups. SE 203s are well represented along with all the other usual suspects, but hardly ever do you see anyone running the SE204 cams. Now my bike has the 204 cams, done by the previous owner, and it frankly pulls like a freight train right up to 5300. I must admit that given all I've read, the 204 probably would not have been my first choice, but I am sure impressed with the result. So guys, why not 204?
R1Geezrglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2007, 04:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
0043--Licensed to Doof!

Geezer-Glide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Because they're chain drive. The tensioners WILL fail, it's only a matter of time.

I Doof, therefore I am.

D.F.F.D

THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT. YOU MAY NOW RETURN TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING. THANK YOU.
Geezer-Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
<><

PR3VS56 wants to know Dino or Syn?
204's are well represented where I live. Guys love that cam. Maybe it's a geographic thing?

'05 FLTRI, totaled 10/17/08.
105tq/107hp

'00 FLHRCI, sold.

Proverbs 3:5-6
Fruit of the Spirit

Living under God's grace. Forgiven, not perfect.
PR3VS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Hillside wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cams

The very first time we were involved with a build that used our Stage III Heads, and 204's, we were pleasently surprised as to how well it ran, once tuned.
The "why not" part, is the tensioner issue will surface.
Hillside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
?????

msocko3 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
The very first time we were involved with a build that used our Stage III Heads, and 204's, we were pleasently surprised as to how well it ran, once tuned.
The "why not" part, is the tensioner issue will surface.

Do you remember what kind of numbers it produced?

Red Bike Powered By Head-Quarters 120.. Easier Clutch Pull By ClutchWIZ.com
2012 GL1800 Hannigan.
msocko3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

The previous owner claimed membership in the 100/100 club. I don't have the sheets to prove it one way or the other, but I will say that it hangs with my friend's 05 SEUC 103, stage 1,and Power Comander (no tour pak) with no problem. However, I do have a bit of valve clatter in the rocker boxes. Is this characteristic of this cam?
Old 11-18-2007, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

JagmanR wants to know Dino or Syn?
Both the SE 203 and the 204 are underrated cams IMO. If you look at the specs, for example of the 203, it's not much different from a Wood TW 6. Neither of these cams specs are out of proportion for the kinds of street builds most folks are looking for. I've had the 203's and they are stump pullers pure and simple. They are not long duration cams, but neither are any of the most popular cams for the street builds being churned out. The 204 has a bit more duration and comes on a little higher in the rev band. Both have been maligned as "SE Baby cams" largely cause they are at the bottom of the (or top depending on you look at it) of the SE cams lineup. They are very quiet as well. They don't offer gear drives and as mentioned have the tensioner issue to consider.
BTW I run a Wood TW6 and while it offer's, to my butt, more power, I wouldn't feel underpowered with either of these cams.
When I was shopping, someone on here with a TW6 told me his friend ran 203's with the same build as his with the TW6 and it was a crap shoot out of the hole. I believe it. SE cams don't have a good reputation for the most part cause of the years of HD techs throwing SE257's in build old CNC builds that produced any kind of torque at 3200 RPM. That isn't the case with the 203/4. Funny though, even many of the HD techs have been programmed to say a 211 is a better cam, regardless of the kind of bike you're riding or riding style. I had one of those too. If you like solid mid rpm power and lot's of twisting, it's fine, but another case of it must be better since it isn't at the bottom of the list IMO.
JagmanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

merc1100sc wants to know Dino or Syn?
the 204 was always a favorite in my circle of friends for mild, inexpensive builds, and has always seemed to perform well for what it was. quick easy bolt in cam.
merc1100sc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

I must say I'm happy with the performance. I had been looking at Nighrider.com where they have all sorts of dyno numbers and lots of 203's and others, hardly any 204's. I only know of 1 other person in my circle of aquaintences that is running that cam. I was wondering if there is a reason, or is it just because it's not an aftermarket 'designer' cam. (no slight intended). I'm still a bit concerned about some clatter in the rocker boxes and was wondering if this is characteristic of this cam.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

hugie03flhr wants to know Dino or Syn?
What would be the compression limits be on that cam(204) running 93 0ctane?
hugie03flhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

nw_guy4_fun wants to know Dino or Syn?
Why not use the 204?
I see no reasons other than you still have to periodically check tensioners and no HD downloads support this cam
nw_guy4_fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

OldMsocko wants to know where he is and how he got here
My dealer did the BB and installed the SE 204 cams in my bike. They used the map for the SE 203 cams and the bike IMHO runs very well.
OldMsocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

HDWRENCH wants to know Dino or Syn?
I like the 204 as well as you can for a chain drive stick. Overall it is a great small cam for a budget build. We have used it with the 96 inch engines, along with head porting and setting compression in the 9.6-9.8 range with no issues at all. Power wise not to bad , the least we have seen was a bike with stock head pipes and the touring slip on's from SE. it made 92 hp and 105 tq. If I recall . Now the same kit with a 2-1 fat cat with quite baffle made 96 hp and 110 tq. Not bad really. For the 95 inchers you will find that you will be in the 90 hp and tq range

As most cams many would rather not have a any problems with the tensioners so gear drive cams are used. As you know HD does not make any gear drive cams for a T/C engine.
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks HD Wrench. If I were to switch to a gear drive, what would the equivalent cam be?

05 FLHT
95" CV Carb
V&H TD
Old 11-20-2007, 10:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

TomD wants to know Dino or Syn?
The 203 is the factory upgrade and emission compliant. I'd be willing to bet most 203 cams are dealer installed and were done so as not to void the warranty. I'd also bet that most 204s are dealer installed in bikes that the owners were less concerned about their warranty and therefore we see less of them.

Tom
TomD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement