Anybody use Branch Flowmetrics heads? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2007, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Passin' through

Flashkev wants to know Dino or Syn?
Anybody use Branch Flowmetrics heads?

An indy I just met likes this outfit:
http://branchflowmetrics.com/Introduction.htm

Anybody in the forum ever use their products? Like 'em or not?

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2007, 05:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Hillside wants to know Dino or Syn?
Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashkev
An indy I just met likes this outfit:
http://branchflowmetrics.com/Introduction.htm

Anybody in the forum ever use their products? Like 'em or not?

Thanks
They have been around forever.
I believe that Mikuni owns that name now.
All good.
Hillside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
OUCH! That hurt

wfolarry wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mikuni sold them. It's Branch-O'Keefe now. Jerry Branch is semi-retired & O'Keefe was one of his guys that took over. Talked to them at the trade show. Still a good product.
wfolarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

mtairy biker wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have always heard good about them
mtairy biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

05FLHRI wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yep, I got 'em. 10k on mine so far with no issues. One thing I could do without is the valve noise caused by the high pressure springs. Any specific questions?
SE Slip-ons
SE a/c kit
Thunder Max w/Autotune
95 C.I.D w/flat tops
Branch Flowmetrics #4 Heads
Andrews 37G Bump Sticks
.030 Cometic Head Gaskets
Feuling Camplate, Oil Pump, & Lifters
S&S Adjustable Pushrods and Tubes

There may be no replacement for displacement, but without good head you mind as well be dead.
05FLHRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Totenkopf wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05FLHRI
Yep, I got 'em. 10k on mine so far with no issues. One thing I could do without is the valve noise caused by the high pressure springs. Any specific questions?
How much did you pay for the #4's?

Totenkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Passin' through

cnc vs good old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05FLHRI
Trying to learn stuff here...

Wellll, I keep reading about the virtues of CNC "precision" headwork, which achieves consistent results via automation. I reviewed the Branch brochure, didn't see any mention of any such precision machinery, aside from some pics of the work being done manually. (I really should call them before speculating on this - will try them tomorrow)

I guess my question is - can the proven "artistry" from an "old-school" shop (like Branch) RELIABLY/CONSISTENTLY compete with a CNC machine equiped shop?

Or does it simply take them a little longer to get the same quality product?

Side note: The local indy mentioned the Branch bathtub grind design is what SE evolved from.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this? HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I didn't want to get involved with this one but I can't help it...
Jerry Branch is one of the leaders in the industry about 30 years ago. I believe Jerry left the business about 20 years ago and technology has come a long way in the porting of HD heads. One thing we don't do anymore is polish the intake port.....it has been studied and found that fuel comes out of suspension in the margin area of the port, when you have a polished surface the fuel will bead up like water does on your freshly waxed car hood. These beads of fuel will drip into the combustion chamber causing detonation due to after gas.....(basically speaking) it's hard to burn large droplets of fuel compared to fuel in a gasses form so the the droplets heat up and end up exploding on the next compression stroke....again this is very basically speaking.
Branch still polish the ports (the last I seen anyway) for a selling factor or a WOW factor. Now I'm not saying the heads don't work because they do but getting into higher compression motors they could cause problems that are unseen by the laymen. I personally believe there are better heads to be had in this day and age. Just my opinion I'm not bashing Branch just telling you what can happen with polished ports.
HDMD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

05FLHRI wants to know Dino or Syn?
Total price including shipping cores from Ohio to the Left coast was 975.00.

While I am happy with my results, and these heads are a thing of BEAUTY, I'm pretty sure with all of the options out there today, the same results can be had for less coin.

HDMD88 - Yes still polished to a mirror like shine, and still has the wow factor.

Ride safe, Ken
SE Slip-ons
SE a/c kit
Thunder Max w/Autotune
95 C.I.D w/flat tops
Branch Flowmetrics #4 Heads
Andrews 37G Bump Sticks
.030 Cometic Head Gaskets
Feuling Camplate, Oil Pump, & Lifters
S&S Adjustable Pushrods and Tubes

There may be no replacement for displacement, but without good head you mind as well be dead.
05FLHRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
OUCH! That hurt

wfolarry wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you talk to Jerry he will still argue his way is still better. Everybody has their own way of doing things. Now all you hear about are high velocity heads. But how many actually are. At what spped is the velocity high? I have run a lot of different heads on my bench & have seen velocity #'s all over the place. Flow #'s as well. Just a lot of talk to sell a product. The wow factor in print. I wouldn't polish the ports in the heads I do but that's what people expect to see. I don't do it as shiny as Branch does but it is done more for show than go. I remember working & testing different port shapes & when I found one that flowed good I then polished all that flow right out of it. On a race bike that had to be done in a hurry there wasn't any time for the beauty parlor treatment. The bike ran better than it ever did. He wanted to know what I did different. I told him it was a secret. If I told him the truth he wouldn't have believed me anyway. My point is this: looks don't make the bike go fast. But it sure sells fast.
wfolarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this? HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfolarry
If you talk to Jerry he will still argue his way is still better. Everybody has their own way of doing things. Now all you hear about are high velocity heads. But how many actually are. At what spped is the velocity high? I have run a lot of different heads on my bench & have seen velocity #'s all over the place. Flow #'s as well. Just a lot of talk to sell a product. The wow factor in print. I wouldn't polish the ports in the heads I do but that's what people expect to see. I don't do it as shiny as Branch does but it is done more for show than go. I remember working & testing different port shapes & when I found one that flowed good I then polished all that flow right out of it. On a race bike that had to be done in a hurry there wasn't any time for the beauty parlor treatment. The bike ran better than it ever did. He wanted to know what I did different. I told him it was a secret. If I told him the truth he wouldn't have believed me anyway. My point is this: looks don't make the bike go fast. But it sure sells fast.
AMEN....
HDMD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Hillside wants to know Dino or Syn?
Shine job

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfolarry
I'll second that, also.
Hillside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Passin' through

thanks

All good info - thanks!
Old 08-01-2007, 02:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Seahag wants to know Dino or Syn?
Great information in this thread as usual. I found branchflowmetrics from an add in American Iron Magazine about six months before I found this forum and Doc and company here....too bad too, because I probably could have saved some money and had a little better performance to boot.

Having said that, I did realize a huge increase in performance over the choked off stock heads. IMO though, these heads were not worth the $840.00 I paid....much less the higher price 05FLHRI paid.

I too am curious though whether the hand porting jobs can compare with the CNC precision though. The bike I just got has a 98" RevPerf kit with GMR's CNC worked heads...both my old and new bike had similar performance and work great; so who knows??????
Old 08-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
FNG :)

NorseWarrior wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a set on my EVO... great performance and fuel economy (before I upgraded to a 40mm Mikuni and really picked up power). My only gripe was one of the heads (traded, not mine) had every bolt hole stripped and had to be heli-coiled. But great performance for the money...

NorseWarrior
NorseWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement