Crankshaft bearing??? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2007, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Flat top wants to know Dino or Syn?
Crankshaft bearing???

I have an '03 Heritage with a 95" motor. I've put HQ0034's in and had the heads ported and decked by Bishop's, bringing the comp to 10:1. Recently, the motor has developed an ominous sound, akin to piston slap. My mech has done everything trying to eliminate the noise; he's mic'd everything, put new lifters, pistons, and cylinders in (no charge!) but with no success. We've come to the conclusion its most likely the crankshaft bearing. First question is any ideas? Second question is, does anyone know of any service bulletins on these bearings? I work for one of the big 3, and we sometimes will do this; know of a potential problem and issue a service bulliten in lieu of a recall. Kinda like "catch us if you can"! Not right...but that's life! Sorry for such a long post, but curious minds want to know. One more question, since I'm most likely going to be replacing the crankshaft, I'm moving up to the 103". Is it absolutely necessary to do the Timken swap given my build? Thanks for any thoughts.

Flat Top
Flat top is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat top
I have an '03 Heritage with a 95" motor. I've put HQ0034's in and had the heads ported and decked by Bishop's, bringing the comp to 10:1. Recently, the motor has developed an ominous sound, akin to piston slap. My mech has done everything trying to eliminate the noise; he's mic'd everything, put new lifters, pistons, and cylinders in (no charge!) but with no success. We've come to the conclusion its most likely the crankshaft bearing. First question is any ideas? Second question is, does anyone know of any service bulletins on these bearings? I work for one of the big 3, and we sometimes will do this; know of a potential problem and issue a service bulliten in lieu of a recall. Kinda like "catch us if you can"! Not right...but that's life! Sorry for such a long post, but curious minds want to know. One more question, since I'm most likely going to be replacing the crankshaft, I'm moving up to the 103". Is it absolutely necessary to do the Timken swap given my build? Thanks for any thoughts.

Flat Top
Flattop -

Timken isn't necessary, but given you've got ot go into the bottom end - why wouldn't you? Kinda like an ounce of prevention.
S&S stuff.
Baisley Pro Street heads
+ Level 2 Mojo.
Badass pipe.
Torq Monster Motorworks
spec'd & built, extra "Special Sauce."
142HP - 148TQ SAE / 145/151 STD. More there.
Jimmy crack corn and I don't care.
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

eglider05 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
One more question, since I'm most likely going to be replacing the crankshaft, I'm moving up to the 103". Is it absolutely necessary to do the Timken swap given my build? Thanks for any thoughts.

Flat Top
I wouldn't consider not doing it. I wasted the crank on my 05 with a 98" motor. I replaced it with a Darkhorse Crankworks balanced and Proplugged crank and had the Timken conversion done. After my experience I personally wouldn't put a stock crank in that hasn't had the pin either welded or Proplugged.

Rick
eglider05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

badmotorscooter wants to know Dino or Syn?
Pro Plug

When a crank uses a Pro Plug, exactly how does that keep flywheels from slipping? Are they as effective as welding? If I shut the motor down at high rpm (which I'm prone to do from time to time), will a Pro Plugged crank stay true? Thanks for any replies.

bms
badmotorscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

ViennaHog wants to know Dino or Syn?
A local shop here in Vienna does high performance single cylinder speedway engine s(500 cc, around 70-80 hp at more than 10,000 rpm). The crank pins are either welded or bolted which ensures that the wheels will not slip, BUT what they frequently see is that the distance between the upper and the lower side of the flywheel halfs will change due to the extreme forces in those motors. I bet that even a welded or pro-plugged HD crank will show the same pattern over time which causes run out problems. Any thoughts?
ViennaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this? HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Yes Vienna this is a big problem at high rpms. In my drag bike days we installed a large Waffer Bearing on the pinion side of the flywheel. The timken bearing on the left side had a side play of .001 to .005, we normally set this bearing up at .002 to .003....well with this much side movement it allowed the flywheels to flex and distort 180* from the crank pin. By installing a large Waffer bearing on the pinion between the fly wheel and the case we were able to remove the excess side clearance on the right flywheel to .001 which kept the flywheels in check. There is lot of room between the right wheel and the case that if not filled will allow the wheels to move far enough to snap pinion shafts at high RPMs The Waffer Bearing really smooths the engine out and allows for much faster reeving. The Bearing is about 3.5'' in diameter and can be bought at S&S. It comes with various thickness races to set up the .001 end play.
HDMD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Hillside wants to know Dino or Syn?
Noise

Quote:

Flat Top
Off the discussion of the crank, but could it be a loose cam chain/tensioner issue, creating the "slapping" or very agressive clicking noise. Just sayin.......
Hillside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement