keith black pistons : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Twin-Cam Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2007, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

rollover wants to know Dino or Syn?
keith black pistons

Bought a set of KB pistons(9.2 to 1) for my build and curious if anyone knows what the 2 extra rings that came with the set are for. They came in a package with the numbers R108 on the outside. They have a slight overlap in the ring ends and a punch dot designating the top side. Need to know if these replace one of the original rings already designated for use in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd ring groove. Any insite would be appreciated as I want to get the build going this week.
rollover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2007, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
Have you considered calling KB and asking them? Just a thought.

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2007, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Sent an email but thought someone that has used them might know off hand. Figured I might get a quicker response from the forum.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

nw_guy4_fun wants to know Dino or Syn?
The rings go beneath the lower oil ring rail to support it over the exposed pin area. Just install them under the lower rail and all will be fine.
nw_guy4_fun is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2007, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

stretch wants to know Dino or Syn?
That is exactly what they are for. btw, have fun with the spiral wrist pin retaining rings.....

JD's Cycle Works built 107", Baisley Ported heads, Axtell cylinders, TW6HG, Thundermax w/Autotune, 2-1 D&D FatCat, Baker DD6 120 hp/122 torque (uncorrected) 113/116 SAE
stretch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2007, 04:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

bigbluff wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yes, those "extra" rings go above and below the oil ring in the same groove.

I actually had no problem with the wrist pin retaining rings. You just have to stretch them out first. Then start feeding them in the hole starting at one end. I used a small screwdriver to gradually feed it in. Went in real easy.

Some people are like Slinky toys...not good for much of anything, but it's a lot of fun to push them down the stairs.
bigbluff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2007, 04:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks guy's. I appreciate the responses. I heard back from KB and it turns out the extra rings are spacers that indeed do go in the oil groove as support for the rings. The spacer goes on the bottom and the 3 other rings go on top of it. They said the spacer supports the rings seeing as the oil groove extends down into the pin axis.

For you guy's that have used KB pistons, did you have to install the pistons on the connecting rod prior to compressing the rings and sliding on the jug? I see where some say it is easier to install the piston into the jugs while still on a bench but that seems like it won't work in this situation seeing as the oil groove does entend down into the pin axis. Seems like the only way to do it with the KB pistons is to install the piston onto the connecting rod, install the rings in correct order, compress the rings and then tap the jug down onto the piston. Does this seem correct?
Old 04-27-2007, 07:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cabo Wabo '06

namooz wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollover
Thanks guy's. I appreciate the responses. I heard back from KB and it turns out the extra rings are spacers that indeed do go in the oil groove as support for the rings. The spacer goes on the bottom and the 3 other rings go on top of it. They said the spacer supports the rings seeing as the oil groove extends down into the pin axis.

For you guy's that have used KB pistons, did you have to install the pistons on the connecting rod prior to compressing the rings and sliding on the jug? I see where some say it is easier to install the piston into the jugs while still on a bench but that seems like it won't work in this situation seeing as the oil groove does entend down into the pin axis. Seems like the only way to do it with the KB pistons is to install the piston onto the connecting rod, install the rings in correct order, compress the rings and then tap the jug down onto the piston. Does this seem correct?
You have to install the KB's (at least the 10.5 comp's) on the rods before you can get the oil rail rings in. The top two can be fit beforhand, but these latter ones must be installed after the wrist pin goes in. You've got it figured out.

And the retainers are no problem. Just pull (stretch) them out to get them out but not much more than an inch, and work them back in with a small screwdriver a little bit at a time. Not really difficult. Make sure they are seated on both sides-inspect close up with lots of light. Good luck
HD cyl's .001" piston fit
06' modded heads
B Diamond high lift springs
TW55 chain drive cams
S&S adj. pushrods
Limiters
Barnett heavy clutch diaphram spring
Hi comp A Balls starter
Rivera 10/84 Ring gear
polished TB/manifold
Doherty w/Power Vents
Pro Pipe HS header w/Cycle Shack Rocket tip muff.
PCIII & Dyno
Jagg oil cooler
92HP/99TQ
namooz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2007, 11:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

nw_guy4_fun wants to know Dino or Syn?
Be sure to follow their recomendations for ring end gap and piston to wall clearance.
nw_guy4_fun is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2007, 11:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cabo Wabo '06

namooz wants to know Dino or Syn?
Kb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw_guy4_fun
Be sure to follow their recomendations for ring end gap and piston to wall clearance.
Yes, don't underestimate the value of this comment. It makes a huge difference when in spec. I know because my original builder installed mine loose, and the gap was too small. The top ring gap is paramount.
HD cyl's .001" piston fit
06' modded heads
B Diamond high lift springs
TW55 chain drive cams
S&S adj. pushrods
Limiters
Barnett heavy clutch diaphram spring
Hi comp A Balls starter
Rivera 10/84 Ring gear
polished TB/manifold
Doherty w/Power Vents
Pro Pipe HS header w/Cycle Shack Rocket tip muff.
PCIII & Dyno
Jagg oil cooler
92HP/99TQ
namooz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2007, 12:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

bigbluff wants to know Dino or Syn?
My KB pistons are flat tops. As I recall, I was able to install all of the rings, including the oil rings, before attaching them to the connecting rods. Yes! Make sure you have secured both ends of all the wrist pin keeper springs. If one end of the keeper spring is not secure, and it gets loose, it will cost you at least a cylinder and piston...maybe more. After securing the pistons to the connecting rods, then slide on your juggs.

Some people are like Slinky toys...not good for much of anything, but it's a lot of fun to push them down the stairs.
bigbluff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2007, 01:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks again guy's. The directions mention that the top ring gap is the only one to be concerned with. I'll check the others but will definitely make sure the top one is exact.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

stretch wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
And the retainers are no problem. Just pull (stretch) them out to get them out but not much more than an inch, and work them back in with a small screwdriver a little bit at a time. Not really difficult.
I guess I must have done something wrong 'cause I had a heck of a time just getting them started but once it did, it was easy from there. Oh well...

JD's Cycle Works built 107", Baisley Ported heads, Axtell cylinders, TW6HG, Thundermax w/Autotune, 2-1 D&D FatCat, Baker DD6 120 hp/122 torque (uncorrected) 113/116 SAE
stretch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.