Oil misting : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 96" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

bglidin wants to know Dino or Syn?
Oil misting

I have a 2010 limited with 23k on it . Sunday it started blowing oil out of air cleaner it has pro-pipe,SE filter, and sest. It has 2300 miles on oil change . Is it saturated breather and should Harley cover it under warranty.

BGLIDIN
bglidin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
djl
IronButt

djl wants to know Dino or Syn?
Every four stroke motor has some blow by; the rings have gaps. How long has it been since you cleaned the air filter? Restricted intake air flow can contribute to blow by. Check the connection of the backing plate to the head breather ports; could be loose. Check the internal breather hoses.

Consider venting the breathers to the atmosphere and preventing that mixture of oil mist, water vapor and uncombusted fuel from being circulated back into the combustion chamber and contributing to carbon building up on top of the pistons.
djl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

bglidin wants to know Dino or Syn?
Update

Let the bike sit a few days and it has not puked since . I was told I may have saturated the breathers and to let it sit . He also said it would most likely do it again and I should replace them. Will try to hold out till I can do cams .

BGLIDIN
bglidin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

harley-gearhead wants to know Dino or Syn?
It might actually be too much engine oil. I have a 08 FXSTC and if I get just a little too much oil in it, it will spit oil out the intake.
harley-gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
djl
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bglidin View Post
Let the bike sit a few days and it has not puked since . I was told I may have saturated the breathers and to let it sit . He also said it would most likely do it again and I should replace them. Will try to hold out till I can do cams .

BGLIDIN
I doubt it. The 2010 models have the "new and imroved" stamped breathers which are supposed to do a better job. Vent to the atmosphere and relieve the pressure in the crankcase. Install some crank vents that will maintain a vacuum in the crankcase and the problem should go away. Plus you won't be venting condensation, unburnt fuel and oil mist back into the combustion chambers.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

2000FiveOh wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by djl View Post
Every four stroke motor has some blow by; the rings have gaps. How long has it been since you cleaned the air filter? Restricted intake air flow can contribute to blow by. Check the connection of the backing plate to the head breather ports; could be loose. Check the internal breather hoses.

Consider venting the breathers to the atmosphere and preventing that mixture of oil mist, water vapor and uncombusted fuel from being circulated back into the combustion chamber and contributing to carbon building up on top of the pistons.
Pure rubbish.
2000 Road King, 96", K&N AC, Andrews 26G cams, Pre-EPA SE Slip Ons, 3:37 Primary gearing, EFI to carb, 105,000 and still rolling
2000FiveOh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

lonslo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000FiveOh View Post
Pure rubbish.
Really? Enlighten us please.
lonslo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
?????

msocko3 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonslo View Post
Really? Enlighten us please.

I'm waiting also.

Red Bike Powered By Head-Quarters 120.. Easier Clutch Pull By ClutchWIZ.com
2012 GL1800 Hannigan.
msocko3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

pjciii wants to know Dino or Syn?
i have a 2010 ultra classic with K&N stage 1 air cleaner kit, V&H dresser duals and slip-ons, fuel pack and a harley oil cooler. end of last season it started blowing oil after i rode home from sturgis. i thought i over serviced the oil for winter but problem didn't go away. i have the ESP in place till 2015 and i took the bike in last week. i was told that umbrella valves were saturated and stuck open. i have 42+++ on the bike and the cost of the repair to me was 50.00, my deductable. it was covered for me.
patrick
Old 02-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

hdrider1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Re: Oil Misting

Quote:
Originally Posted by djl View Post
I doubt it. The 2010 models have the "new and imroved" stamped breathers which are supposed to do a better job. Vent to the atmosphere and relieve the pressure in the crankcase. Install some crank vents that will maintain a vacuum in the crankcase and the problem should go away. Plus you won't be venting condensation, unburnt fuel and oil mist back into the combustion chambers.

I believe that the new stamped breathers started later than 2010. Both my 2010 Road King and Wide Glide have the old style cast aluminum breathers.
hdrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

guydoc77 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Pure rubbish.
I'm extremely curious as well.
Always eager to learn something new.
Please explain.
Clearview windshield
CP flat tops
R&R Stage 3 heads, .030 gasket, 82cc chambers
Trued, welded, and balanced crank by Hyperformance
TMan 590 cams
SE AC
HPI 54mm TB
Supermeg with open cap and 15 discs
TTS tune by BVBob

2003 Indian Scout Deluxe
Aspen White (got it for my wife)
S&S "SuperStock" 88"
12" apes
Scary fast!
guydoc77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

JerkFace_Custom wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjciii View Post
i have a 2010 ultra classic with K&N stage 1 air cleaner kit, V&H dresser duals and slip-ons, fuel pack and a harley oil cooler. end of last season it started blowing oil after i rode home from sturgis. i thought i over serviced the oil for winter but problem didn't go away. i have the ESP in place till 2015 and i took the bike in last week. i was told that umbrella valves were saturated and stuck open. i have 42+++ on the bike and the cost of the repair to me was 50.00, my deductable. it was covered for me.
patrick
just saying, the price for those parts is around $12 for the pair of breather rebuild kits

i rebuild the breathers every time im in the heads - too cheap and easy not to
JerkFace_Custom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
djl
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrider1 View Post
I believe that the new stamped breathers started later than 2010. Both my 2010 Road King and Wide Glide have the old style cast aluminum breathers.
You could be right about the year. I know for sure they were in the '11 models but thought I had seen some in some '10 heads as well; maybe a running change toward the end of the '10 model year but could be an '11 model year upgrade.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
djl
IronButt

Quote:
Pure rubbish.
Originally Posted by djl

Please point out what part of the above is "pure rubbish" and, are you sure it is "pure rubbish" as opposed to just plain old "rubbish"? Like other members, always willing to listen and learn.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

stupidglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hmmmmmmmmmm...................
This ties in to something I'm thinking of doing when I put a 2 into 1 on my FXD- Back when I was heavily involved in circle track racing, I took a lot of time/ care installing an evac system on the cars I built for customers. I found that by carefully placing the evac tubes in the header collectors, I was able to gain up to 2 to 4 inches of extra crankcase vacuum, and get rid of the oil mist by burning it in the headers- So, better ring seal+ getting rid of messy oil mist+ extra power = all good stuff. Wonder how well it would work on the scoot? Anybody done it/ seen it done? If so, did it work?
stupidglide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.