New plugs : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 96" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

dame wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question New plugs

I have just bought my 2012 Street Bob, Stock engine with Rush slip on 2".

Im lookn to get the stock 6r12 plugs and put it some *Pulstar* Model *He1it*

I just want to know if this is safe for the engine and such. I will gap at .40

If Pulstar is not the top of the line plug what shall I use?
thank's for helpn Brother's.
dame is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
I'm Paid Up...

DR_DEUCE wants to know Dino or Syn?
The 6R12 does exactly what it is supposed to do, what else were you looking for?
Some of the fancy brands can play havoc with the electronics, like the ones with the tiny electrode.
DR_DEUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

pigrider wants to know Dino or Syn?
+1 with the DR. I've always used the stock plugs in my 04, even though it's not the engine you have I've never had the first problem with the stock plugs even after running them 12,000 miles, only changed them then because I felt guilty about them bein in there that long. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.
pigrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

ya I hear what ya guys are saying, My 6r12 is running great. But im getting nasty backfire. sounds great LOL just wondering maybe the plug or gap? maybe I should pull the plugs out and check what Harley has it gapd at. Only 900 miles on the bike.

But yes, I was lookn for the best of the best for my bike, which would be higher standard plugs as well. Anyone else have anyword on these Pulstar He1it plugs? Maybe I could even just bump up to the HD Double Plat's plugs
Old 08-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

lucille wants to know Dino or Syn?
'Spark plugs don't make horsepower' ........ this is a very old saying.
Any conventional style plug for your application and heat range is the 'right' sparkplug.

ps. When I was growing up in Alberta, I had a horse called 'Sparkplug' ....
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Sturge wants to know Dino or Syn?
You mention 'nasty backfire'...original post says stock bike with slip-ons. Is it stock intake as well? Stock fuel map is epa driven and anything you do to increase airflow will cause a lean condition. Slip-ons and higher flow intake typically require 're-map'...many ways to do this such as a dealer 'flash' of the ECM, or installing an aftermarket tuning device such as Power Commander/SERT/TTS/etc and adjusting air/fuel or getting a good dyno tune. You can try it but I don't think plugs will correct this issue.
If you still have stock mufflers you could throw them back on and see if it stops the backfire just for kicks.
Andrews 37 cam
SE camplate/HO oil pump/tensioner upgrade
Dan Vance Ported TB (48mm)
SE II Slip-on's (soon to be 2-1 ST SuperMeg?)
Built by me with help from VTF
Sturge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

ncmedic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigrider View Post
+1 with the DR. I've always used the stock plugs in my 04, even though it's not the engine you have I've never had the first problem with the stock plugs even after running them 12,000 miles, only changed them then because I felt guilty about them bein in there that long. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.
12000 miles ?? Hmmm...I have 34000 on mine, maybe I should change them huh..
Old 08-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturge View Post
You mention 'nasty backfire'...original post says stock bike with slip-ons. Is it stock intake as well? Stock fuel map is epa driven and anything you do to increase airflow will cause a lean condition. Slip-ons and higher flow intake typically require 're-map'...many ways to do this such as a dealer 'flash' of the ECM, or installing an aftermarket tuning device such as Power Commander/SERT/TTS/etc and adjusting air/fuel or getting a good dyno tune. You can try it but I don't think plugs will correct this issue.
If you still have stock mufflers you could throw them back on and see if it stops the backfire just for kicks.
I have the Rush Slip on's, stock intake. Im wondering if Harley should have re-tuned my bike after puttn on the slip on's?
My Black Slip ons are already discoloring with choppy little burnout marks. Harley is saying they may replace my pipes free of charge after all the Kaos of the rally is done and over with
Old 08-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
"ION sensing" is a feature of the Delphi efi system on HD's since 2002. Google it and do some reading on what it does. It depends on resistance readings which can vary between different plugs. Not all other plugs cause problems but why take a chance.

Serious doubt that plugs are causing your problem. I'm with Sturge's comments.
Ed Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'll do that Ed, thanks man..
Old 08-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

MFXDB wants to know Dino or Syn?
When you install free flow mufflers on a bike with the stock crossover exhaust it can cause reversion. When you let off the throttle cold air will get sucked into the exhaust and the O2 sensor, usually the rear one, will read the mixture as too lean. So it signals the ECM to add more fuel. When this ignites you will get a backfire. Guys with baggers have been known to install a freeze plug in the rear exhaust to prevent the reversion.
Now, if it's too lean you will get decel pop. Neither of these can be fixed with spark plugs or the dealer download. One thing to try is to get smaller baffles from Rush.
Aside from that you will need some kind of tuner.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXDB View Post
When you install free flow mufflers on a bike with the stock crossover exhaust it can cause reversion. When you let off the throttle cold air will get sucked into the exhaust and the O2 sensor, usually the rear one, will read the mixture as too lean. So it signals the ECM to add more fuel. When this ignites you will get a backfire. Guys with baggers have been known to install a freeze plug in the rear exhaust to prevent the reversion.
Now, if it's too lean you will get decel pop. Neither of these can be fixed with spark plugs or the dealer download. One thing to try is to get smaller baffles from Rush.
Aside from that you will need some kind of tuner.
PERFECT READ! Thank you much brother*
Im gona get a tuner headn my way. Damn I sure like the sound and big back blast bang, but if it's not right it's not right. Thanks again man. I think im gona throw in on a S&S air intake, then get it tuned,
Old 09-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

IncognitoProducts wants to know Dino or Syn?
The 1ST 10% of the ignition process greatly influences the remaining 90% and determines the end result (the amount of power extracted from the fuel). The 1ST 10% is the spark event. The more surface area the spark has, the larger the flame kernel will be, the quicker the fuel will burn (velocity speed). increasing velocity speed, increases cylinder pressure at the point of ignition up to 10%. This will be converted into HP & torque at the crankshaft. The Pulstar Pulse Plugs have an internal capacitor discharging 1 million watts of ignition power! ALL Spark-plugs create a spark of only 50 watts. I have been using Pulstar Plugs for over a year & 1/2. They are AWESOME & they work. Check out this web site, where I bought mine at http://pulstar-incognitoproducts.com
IncognitoProducts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dame View Post

You will LOVE the Pulstar Plugs. Follow all install instructions. I have been using them well over a year now. they are awesome. check out this website http://pulstar-incognitoproducts.com
Old 12-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dame View Post

The Pulstar has a 30-day money back Guarantee... to out perform your current spark plug, or you get your money back. There is also a 2 yr Warranty. The he1ir is Iridium... good for 75,000-100,000 miles (expected life span).

I am a new vendor, here on the forum... have been an Authorized Distriburor for almost 2 yrs.

Here is a link to my website: http://wwww.Pulstar-IncognitoProducts.com

There is a lot of good info. on my website about the Pulstar Pulse Plugs.
Give them a try for 28 days rick free & then you decide.

You will not be disapointed. Where did you hear about them... if you do not mind me asking? Have a good day, Sir.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement