Throttle Sensor/Actuator Problems? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 96" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

93-331-29PSI wants to know Dino or Syn?
Throttle Sensor/Actuator Problems?

So yesterday I was leaving work and got on the bike like I always do. When I went to pull out I got to about 15mph and the throttle stopped working. I released the clutch and let first gear put me back in the parking lot and caught a ride home.....

I pick up a new FBW throttle sensor/actuator and get back to the bike, and before tearing it apart I decide to replicate the problem, which I can't do. Bike seems to be running fine now, but I don't trust it to stay this way. I've known people with cars to have the FBW issues, but when they stop working they STOP working. This was intermittent and I'm confused.

It was 98* out, sunny, and bike was sitting in direct sunlight. Any ideas on what I need to look at?

2008 Heritage - Sold
2009 Road Glide - Sold
93-331-29PSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

NJ Rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Check the FBW connection where it comes out of the handlebars or the fairing (RG or Heritage?). I've heard the pins inside the connectors get corrosion and need to be cleaned. From what I've read the corrosion is difficult to see, and Harley makes replacement pins for this problem.
NJ Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...I/a4885bf2.mp4

It's the road glide. I will check the connector. Here is a video of the issue.

2008 Heritage - Sold
2009 Road Glide - Sold
Old 07-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

I'm thinking this is heat related but not sure where to look. Any ideas ?? Connectors are all good and issue hasn't happened since Friday when it was 100* outside

2008 Heritage - Sold
2009 Road Glide - Sold
Old 08-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
FNG :)

BECK555660 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Beck555660

I have a 2011 and eng light has been coming on almost out of the crate throwing a throttle code. Take to dealer reset but hasnt fixed had in shop 4 times the kicker may be dealer put the 16 inch apes on my flhx when it was bought new
BECK555660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
FNG :)

Sutekiwa wants to know Dino or Syn?
Let me see .link magnet
Sutekiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

qtrracer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Pull the plug out of the TB itself and grease it with a dielectric grease, this will help keep the corrosion and the fretting of the pins from happening. Even if you have not had the problem replicate itself since , do yourself a big favor and do this!
Old 08-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

rickr01 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
Pull the plug out of the TB itself and grease it with a dielectric grease, this will help keep the corrosion and the fretting of the pins from happening. Even if you have not had the problem replicate itself since , do yourself a big favor and do this!

Yes sir, I have personally witnessed this on 3 bikes so far. All have been at the throttle body connector behind the air cleaner. Harley actually has a pin replacement for extremely troublesome cases. I haven't had the problem, but I pulled and put dielectric grease on the pins and a little extra in the connector for good measure just the same. I wash my bike a lot and ride on rough dirt roads, so I felt the extra measure was a good idea. I intend to do the same on my PCV to ECM connector.
rickr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

mike09streetgli wants to know Dino or Syn?
Had the same issue with my 09 StreetGilde a month after the warranty ran out. I checked all connections and started researching this forum and found that I am not the only one that has had this happen before. (go figure) I called the dealer where I bought my bike new and told them about the issue and they said they sould check it out. Thye checked it out free of charge and told me tht the normal issues that they see that causes this checked out fine on my bike, The thing that really urked me was three employees at the dealership asked me the same question. "Was it raining whenit happened?" It wasn' raining but I guess you shouldn't ride an 08 or late TBW Harley in damp or wet conditions! And one more thing when applying dielectric grease don't get carried away with thsi stuff, it is conductive!
mike09streetgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Iron Butt

Bronxhog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickr01 View Post
Yes sir, I have personally witnessed this on 3 bikes so far. All have been at the throttle body connector behind the air cleaner. Harley actually has a pin replacement for extremely troublesome cases. I haven't had the problem, but I pulled and put dielectric grease on the pins and a little extra in the connector for good measure just the same. I wash my bike a lot and ride on rough dirt roads, so I felt the extra measure was a good idea. I intend to do the same on my PCV to ECM connector.
this is exactly what happened to me when i broke down on the side of the highway(3years ago)..No one knew what the problem was(they finally fixed it -had to call moco).

she is starting to act up again ,idle has a slight sputter,i will try the grease and see what happens.
Bronxhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Iron Butt

Bronxhog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike09streetgli View Post
Had the same issue with my 09 StreetGilde a month after the warranty ran out. I checked all connections and started researching this forum and found that I am not the only one that has had this happen before. (go figure) I called the dealer where I bought my bike new and told them about the issue and they said they sould check it out. Thye checked it out free of charge and told me tht the normal issues that they see that causes this checked out fine on my bike, The thing that really urked me was three employees at the dealership asked me the same question. "Was it raining whenit happened?" It wasn' raining but I guess you shouldn't ride an 08 or late TBW Harley in damp or wet conditions! And one more thing when applying dielectric grease don't get carried away with thsi stuff, it is conductive!
Its non-conductive
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-dielectric-grease.htm
Bronxhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement