'09 TC96B hard starting issue : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 96" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Robo wants to know Dino or Syn?
'09 TC96B hard starting issue

Sometimes when I start my '09 Night Train it sounds as though it is an air compressor. Warm, cold, it really doesn't matter; it is an occasional issue. The only mods are Zipper's open element A/C, Cycle Shack slip-ons, and (non-dyno) tuned with a TTS.

It "sneezes" a small white mist through the air cleaner sometimes when I start it. I was wondering if I needed to run a couple of V-tune runs since the weather made a 20 degree change on average since I got the last V-tune run done. It ran REALLY well when the ambient temperature was 20 degrees cooler, what do you guys think may be the problem?

Last edited by Robo; 06-23-2010 at 01:19 AM.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2010, 12:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ride Free

BoomerBob wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree. A couple of V-Tune runs might fix it. If not; then a regular Dyno Tune by someone good with the TTS/SERT.

It sounds a bit like the timing is off too.
BoomerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

JOKERS IMPALA wants to know Dino or Syn?
Having same issue and no real answers LMK if you find anything out

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/tw...gh-intake.html

Roland Sands A/C
Black Big Shot Staggereds
PCV & Autotune
Andrews 54H Cams
S&S 107" Big Bore
SE Clutch Spring
Battastinis Grips
Stage 4 Heads by Flo-Tec Racing

2014 Street Glide Special Charcoal Pearl
JOKERS IMPALA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

WVULTRA wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Sometimes when I start my '09 Night Train it sounds as though it is an air compressor. Warm, cold, it really doesn't matter; it is an occasional issue. The only mods are Zipper's open element A/C, Cycle Shack slip-ons, and (non-dyno) tuned with a TTS.

It "sneezes" a small white mist through the air cleaner sometimes when I start it. I was wondering if I needed to run a couple of V-tune runs since the weather made a 20 degree change on average since I got the last V-tune run done. It ran REALLY well when the ambient temperature was 20 degrees cooler, what do you guys think may be the problem?
Robo:

Curious as to what map your using that's already VTuned. Maybe AE176?

Sounds as though you might be a little rich on the low end, hence the "mist" coming out the a/c. Have you made any changes to the Cranking Fuel Table?

Doubt if it's a Timing issue as the ECM is coded to use "0" Spark Advance while cranking.

SE Breather/Zippers Max-Flow
Rinehart True Duals
TTS Mastertune
'08 Brembo Conversion
WVULTRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Robo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVRDKING View Post
Robo:

Curious as to what map your using that's already VTuned. Maybe AE176?
Yes, that's the one that was used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVRDKING View Post
Sounds as though you might be a little rich on the low end, hence the "mist" coming out the a/c. Have you made any changes to the Cranking Fuel Table?
I only changed the parameters in the "Help File", so no; the Cranking Fuel Table was not adjusted. I considered that it might be rich there, also.

I was wondering if barometric pressure differences affected EFI engines as much as they do carbureted ones (run a little differently based on ambient air pressure). Would this have anything to do with it?
Old 06-25-2010, 10:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

WVULTRA wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yes, pressure and air temp changes do affect the EFI bikes; but the MAP and IAT Sensors should make appropriate adjustments as needed.

Might want to do a few additional VTune rides, and make sure your map is set up properly for VTuning. Temp/pressure differences should be automatically accounted for, and VTune H-D should yield corrections if you've recorded correctly with Data Master.

After warming the bike up, a good recording while idling/slightly increasing the throttle just sitting still will give you an idea if the idle/closed throttle VEs are too rich. Look closely at VTune H-D's results after you've collected the data.

Without seeing your latest map that's loaded in the ECM, kinda hard to guess where your rich at.

SE Breather/Zippers Max-Flow
Rinehart True Duals
TTS Mastertune
'08 Brembo Conversion
WVULTRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement