Harley-Davidson super tuner!! Is this true? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 96" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

DARRTILLM wants to know Dino or Syn?
Harley-Davidson super tuner!! Is this true?

Im going to get a stage one for my 2010 rg. Harley heavy breather, d&d fatcat and the hd super tuner. Now, i was told the other day by an independent builer that once that super tuner is tuned to your bike, it would be useless to anyone elses bike, thus killing the resale value. Now is this true? You mean it cant be used on another bike? Unbelievable. Because i was going to get that because it paid for but not installed yet because im waiting for the exhuast to come in. I will cancel it and get my $460 back and get the cheaper one. Sound off please. Thanks a bunch!!
DARRTILLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium octane member

TXCHOP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yep, the SERT,TTS,SEST all get married to the ecm that is being used. They can run diagnostics on others ecm's but cant tune. Sucks, but the price you pay not to have a cheaper add on device.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Wow! Yeah sucks!! So if i get the other one you mean they cant tune it at all? Because over the winter im having an independent builder build me a strong 103" and there are going to use something different. I dont want to spend the extra money on something im not going to need in a few months.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Anti-RUB

petrock wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARRTILLM View Post
Now, i was told the other day by an independent builer that once that super tuner is tuned to your bike, it would be useless to anyone elses bike, thus killing the resale value. Now is this true? You mean it cant be used on another bike?
Yes and Yes.

Quote:
So if i get the other one you mean they cant tune it at all?
They can tune it if they know how to use the tuner you buy (e.g. SERT, TTS, SEST, PC etc).

Quote:
Because over the winter im having an independent builder build me a strong 103" and there are going to use something different. I dont want to spend the extra money on something im not going to need in a few months.
What are they going to use? Find a builder who knows how to tune with the tuner you have.
Python Staggered Exhaust w/ Quiet Baffles
HD Primary Chain Auto-Tensioner
SE Hydraulic Cam Plate & High-Flow oil pump
SERT

Wish List (in order of "Gotta Have It"-ness):
14" Ape/Gimp Hangers (have, but needs install)
Black Braided Throttle/Fuel/Brake/Clutch lines
Black Powdercoated Fork Sliders and Triple Trees
My Two Front Teeph
petrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

The only reason i upgraded to the super tuner is because i thought i was going to let harley do the 103" with the warranty, and that was the best they had to offer and it was good all the way up to the high cubes. Now, since ive come to my senses, had a change of heart and want the best bang for the buck, ill have my performance motor builder build me a very nice reliable and strong 103" with 105-110 hp/tq. Eff the harley warranty. Im either going to use the direct link or the thundermax auto tune, which is what i have in my 113" roadking.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Pine Tree wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
The only reason i upgraded to the super tuner is because i thought i was going to let harley do the 103" with the warranty, and that was the best they had to offer and it was good all the way up to the high cubes...
If that's all they had to offer then it would be the best. But there are others out there doing a better tune for less money.

Think hard and real some of the not-so-glowing reports on the auto- tuners.

I feel your frustration...
Pine Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
you got a TBW bike as well as a lambda based map. (2010 touring)
there really are only two choices for you, if you want to maximize your TBW. the one you have or A TTS.
be very cautious trying to go the cheap route.with tuners, like most things in life you get what you pay for.
I don't get the mindset of .....if I buy this or that I can keep it and use it on my new bike. why would you screw the new owner of a bike you were selling? if the bike needed the add on fueler or fooler then why would you take it off to sell it or trade it?
anyway your 2010 is a whole new ball game (sorta) so IMO....you have the SEST (pro) already, so find someone good with it and use it.
ask them if they adj throttle progressivity, if they have no idea what your talking about move on .
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerjlk View Post
ask them if they adj throttle progressivity, if they have no idea what your talking about move on .
Would you mind explaining this a little further? I'm an old time rider with lots of carb experience but new to tuning EFI on a dyno.
Ed Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Y View Post
Would you mind explaining this a little further? I'm an old time rider with lots of carb experience but new to tuning EFI on a dyno.
Real quick Ed as I got a guy here to clean up a downed tree.
the TBW bike are pretty lame on the throttle % actual vs what the ECM lets it do especially before 2600-3000 rpm.
so with the sest and tts you can set throttle progressivity to what you want % for % or what ever you deem sufficient, so at 100% throttle at 2000 rpm's you only have 70 % now you can change it to 100%
tts calls it throttle blade control.
in a nut shell
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Oh by no means am i trying to go the cheap route or resale junk. Just trying to make a smart purchase. Im going to use a top of the line tuner with my 103 build in a few months. I just dont want to buy something more than im going to need for now. That extra $$$ can be used somewhere else. Like chrome!! If it cant be used after me, why spend that much $$$ on it, just for 3 months. I have to look at the price difference between the two. If its not that much difference, ill go with the super tuner.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

107cihog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Darrtillmm you can use the tunner you bought and use it agian after your 103 build as long as it is the same ecm for once it is used it is married to that ecm. You can make as many changes as you want. Same for the TTS PS if you have a buddy you can buy the TTS good for two bikes is around 645.00 that way you can split the cost about 320.00 each.
107cihog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

chuckm081357 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
you got a TBW bike as well as a lambda based map. (2010 touring)
there really are only two choices for you, if you want to maximize your TBW. the one you have or A TTS.

Thundermax Autotune is another choice, they have it for TBW now. My Dad let the HD dealer talk him into the Super Race Tuner a few months back and then he ended up going to two different dealers and neither could get it to run right. I convinced him to go with the Thundermax (I have had one on my Fat Boy for several months) and he absolutely loves the way the bike runs. Now he has a useless (at least to him) Super Race Tuner that cost him almost $500. My Dad doesn't even know how to turn a computer on, so I tweaked the map a bit because of a decel popping issue and he is happy as hell.

He said he can "catch a rabbit now" :-)

The Thundermax can be removed and used on another bike (in his case it has to be a TBW of course).
Thunder Max Autotune
Red Shift 575 Cam
AMSOIL in everything
chuckm081357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm081357 View Post
Thundermax Autotune is another choice, they have it for TBW now. My Dad let the HD dealer talk him into the Super Race Tuner a few months back and then he ended up going to two different dealers and neither could get it to run right. I convinced him to go with the Thundermax (I have had one on my Fat Boy for several months) and he absolutely loves the way the bike runs. Now he has a useless (at least to him) Super Race Tuner that cost him almost $500. My Dad doesn't even know how to turn a computer on, so I tweaked the map a bit because of a decel popping issue and he is happy as hell.

He said he can "catch a rabbit now" :-)

The Thundermax can be removed and used on another bike (in his case it has to be a TBW of course).
I got a couple also. (T-MAX's) I take them off and put the stock ECM back on, and tune with TTS ......want to buy a couple for 1/2 price?
SE 218
DR 218

Last edited by strokerjlk; 06-14-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Real quick Ed as I got a guy here to clean up a downed tree.
the TBW bike are pretty lame on the throttle % actual vs what the ECM lets it do especially before 2600-3000 rpm.
so with the sest and tts you can set throttle progressivity to what you want % for % or what ever you deem sufficient, so at 100% throttle at 2000 rpm's you only have 70 % now you can change it to 100%
tts calls it throttle blade control.
in a nut shell
Thanks. That helps, I think.
Ed Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Chuck, yep, i have a thundermax auto tune on my road king 113". Absolutely great!! Thats probally what im going to go with for the 103 build. So do you see what im saying now. I dont need that super tuner "thing a ma jiggy" al i want is the regular tune/map that they offer. Anyone know the price of that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement