TriGlide Umpphhh : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 96" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Glyder wants to know Dino or Syn?
TriGlide Umpphhh

Old lady was "b$%$#in" yesterday. She said she dont have enuff roll on power. She has her TriGlide stage I with AC,pipes and a PC V. I have to agree with her. She rides all the
NE big roads for work and says when shes doing 70 in 6th she has to drop a gear to get around somebody..you open it up and it takes its good old time winding up. Even 5th gear aint all that snappy...still a pretty good time to wind up. My 07 EG Classic will haul the mail in the same situation...even two up....I know the weight difference etc...is the big factor but it is a slug even with the 103"
Anybody here that can suggest a cam to get some useable snap out of that 103"?? Like to get that power in a more usable area or a cam aint gonna do it?
Glyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Still the Same!

wurk_truk wants to know Dino or Syn?
I see that this will end up being a long thread!

The first thing... since you are asking all us Bozo's... in your mind, what is your budget? Will you wrench it yourself? Have a dealer do it?

I WILL state that I LIKED my cam upgrade (96" bike). I think a cam would be a wonderful improvement. But you may also want to include a tuner, and... have a professional tune to top it all off. BIG difference with doing these things. But, I will let the brain trust weigh in.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 08-04-2009 at 02:18 PM.
wurk_truk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

ViennaHog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Brain trust, well no0t applicable to me.

shorter gearing as a first option.
ViennaHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

splitting_lanes wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'd agree with ViennaHog. gearing will really help. add that to a cam that makes more power, and you'll really have an improvement!
Old 08-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Coolmaker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Change gearing, so that 6th is more usable and add a good set of cams. I run S&S 510's in my 103, they pull good, and idle well.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

HDWRENCH wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyder View Post
Old lady was "b$%$#in" yesterday. She said she dont have enuff roll on power. She has her TriGlide stage I with AC,pipes and a PC V. I have to agree with her. She rides all the
NE big roads for work and says when shes doing 70 in 6th she has to drop a gear to get around somebody..you open it up and it takes its good old time winding up. Even 5th gear aint all that snappy...still a pretty good time to wind up. My 07 EG Classic will haul the mail in the same situation...even two up....I know the weight difference etc...is the big factor but it is a slug even with the 103"
Anybody here that can suggest a cam to get some useable snap out of that 103"?? Like to get that power in a more usable area or a cam aint gonna do it?

Well if you change the gearing you will loose cruise control unless you install a TTS tuner. It is the only tuner on the market that will allow you to tune your own 09 bike on the road, as with any perf mods for a trike a quad dyno is needed and that can be hard to come by. And if you do find one they do not normally have a eddie current brake.

There are gearing kits out there to solve the lack of power feel. However that is only going to get you so far.

The cams in that engine are nothing more than stock cam used in the 96 engine.

Combine the extra weight 1174 vs a maxed out ultra at 889 is an additional 285 lbs before gear, and rider. Add that to tall gearing, more wind resistance, you end up with rather lack luster performance.

I would go one of two ways.

Cam, TTS, gearing that would work well.

Or cam ,ported heads, TTS and you will not need the gearing change.

Customer ordered the kit and installed himself. Ported heads, installed Andrews 54 cams, TTS and rode the bike to v tune it. . Problem solved bike has tons of giddy up now and will pull the mountains like butter compared to how it ran stock. This tri glide has a set of SE slip on mufflers and ac on it before install.
In the end the customer is extremely please and the bike runs very well.

Last edited by HDWRENCH; 08-04-2009 at 03:25 PM.
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Still the Same!

wurk_truk wants to know Dino or Syn?
I never thought about how much extra these things weigh.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
I HATE 'bing'...

TriLs wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWRENCH View Post

Customer ordered the kit and installed himself. Ported heads, installed Andrews 54 cams, TTS and rode the bike to v tune it. . Problem solved bike has tons of giddy up now and will pull the mountains like butter compared to how it ran stock. This tri glide has a set of SE slip on mufflers and ac on it before install.

Since the TriGlides are still within the 2-year warranty window (the oldest of them for another year), I assume that these mods would create "issues" that would place warranty repairs in jeopardy... Or do those issues evaporate by having the dealer do the mods?

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble,
it's what you know for sure that just ain't so..."

Mark Twain

Live well...Love faithfully...Laugh often.

"Spirit", a Vivid Black '09 TriGlide, 103" stock, V&H Dresser slipons,
SE Stage 1 A/C, SERT, fairing-mounted oil temp, Zumo 660, small
bits o' glitz, and HD foggies on dedicated foot pegs.

http://www.ecclesia-ministries.org

TriLs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWRENCH View Post
Well if you change the gearing you will loose cruise control unless you install a TTS tuner. It is the only tuner on the market that will allow you to tune your own 09 bike on the road, as with any perf mods for a trike a quad dyno is needed and that can be hard to come by. And if you do find one they do not normally have a eddie current brake.

There are gearing kits out there to solve the lack of power feel. However that is only going to get you so far.

The cams in that engine are nothing more than stock cam used in the 96 engine.

Combine the extra weight 1174 vs a maxed out ultra at 889 is an additional 285 lbs before gear, and rider. Add that to tall gearing, more wind resistance, you end up with rather lack luster performance.

steve, i think the 54 may close a little late for all that weight, and if there ever was a great application for autotune (pc5, or if thundermax ever releases the autotune for drive by wire) the tri glide would be it. im talking about for those with no tuning knowledge here. so i will argue .

first thought would be a andrews 26, with above mentioned autotune, and 3guyz chain final so you could lower overall gearing and keep compensator. the cruise would have to be sacrificed to keep the rider from getting killed because they couldnt get around traffic!

now if the customer wanted to pull 1100 lbs around traffic, ultimately, the choice is simple! go with headwork, cam, great tune, look for 115 tq minimum peaking at 2800 rpm, but that would be crazy. so lets move peak tq up to 3600 rpm and with a little rider education, we have GO!

end result? gearing that loses cruise, or more motor!

i guess this proves the guy that told me the new harleys are bulletproof and his tri-glide lifts the front tire out of the corners is full of sh!t, huh?
Old 08-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriLs View Post
Since the TriGlides are still within the 2-year warranty window (the oldest of them for another year), I assume that these mods would create "issues" that would place warranty repairs in jeopardy... Or do those issues evaporate by having the dealer do the mods?
man, you are a broken record. let me say it again---MAGNUSSEN-MOSS act prohibits the refusal of warranty work under violation of federal law. HD has to prove that the cause of failure was the mods you did. if you fix the problem now, there is no failure other than the crank, which they have shown time and time again, that they will not repair under warranty!

fix the problems now and after the warranty period is over , you will still have a motor that lasts many years. wait till warranty expires to repair the problems, and there is nothing left to fix.

geesh, its simple.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
I HATE 'bing'...

TriLs wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydbal View Post
Steve, i think the 54 may close a little late for all that weight, and if there ever was a great application for autotune (pc5, or if Thundermax ever releases the autotune for drive by wire) the Tri glide would be it. I'm talking about for those with no tuning knowledge here, so I will argue .

First thought would be an Andrews 26, with above mentioned autotune, and 3guyz chain final so you could lower overall gearing and keep compensator. the cruise would have to be sacrificed to keep the rider from getting killed because they couldn't get around traffic!

Now, if the customer wanted to pull 1100 lbs around traffic, ultimately, the choice is simple! go with headwork, cam, great tune, look for 115 tq minimum peaking at 2800 rpm, but that would be crazy. so let's move peak tq up to 3600 rpm and with a little rider education, we have GO!

The end result? Gearing that loses cruise, or more motor!

I guess this proves the guy that told me the new harleys are bulletproof and his tri-glide lifts the front tire out of the corners is full of sh!t, huh?
So if my midget mind can distill all this, Clay, what you are suggesting (that would preserve the cruise control function) would be the PowerCommander V (which is compatible with FBW throttle, yes?), an Andrews 26 cam, maybe V&H or SE slipons and leave the gearing as-is?

By the way, the fully-laden Tri-Glide is rated at 1700 lbs...

I am still assuming that I would be shredding the warranty as I wrote the check for all of this? (Sorry- posted this as you were posting yours...)

By the way again, I saw that post on the bulletproof Tri-Glide and the pull-up on the front tire. I should think that that would happen only with the trunk filled with concrete as the high-traction rear tires took over for the light front wheel and put me off the back of an embanked curve. The front wheel would then, indeed, be "up"...

Tri

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble,
it's what you know for sure that just ain't so..."

Mark Twain

Live well...Love faithfully...Laugh often.

"Spirit", a Vivid Black '09 TriGlide, 103" stock, V&H Dresser slipons,
SE Stage 1 A/C, SERT, fairing-mounted oil temp, Zumo 660, small
bits o' glitz, and HD foggies on dedicated foot pegs.

http://www.ecclesia-ministries.org

TriLs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Glyder wants to know Dino or Syn?
You aint liftin that front wheel comin out of corners...thats for sure.....it will wheel skip/hop up front for you if you're pushin it hard through twisties...I'll tell you that. I will say it will get up and go....but you aint doing it quickly in the higher gears.
I have K&N 3909 AC Kit,Rhinehardt TDs and a Thundermax/autotune on my 07 EG Classic and it will roll on with authority in 6th...no need to drop a gear.
Maybe I'll put a cam in and add the autotune to the PC V. Nobody around here I know of can Dyno a Trike. My question is which one???? Ive never dealt with more than doing simple Stage 1 on any of my bikes and was always happy with the results so never went any farther. This thing needs something to get rid of the anchor holding it back.

Last edited by Glyder; 08-04-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Glyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

HDWRENCH wants to know Dino or Syn?
Clay i can say that a 103 with a 54 will roll 100 tq before 2500 very broad tq line. Dont forget these are 103 engines. I have found no issues using the 54 in the 103 kits at all. You are correct the 26 would work as well but with the head porting we bump compression to 9.8 . That little package rolls out great, amd no issues with ping what so ever. A 37 cam will drop off the hp and really does not pull as hard as the 54 in a 103.
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 02:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

ViennaHog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyder View Post
You aint liftin that front wheel comin out of corners...thats for sure.....it will wheel skip/hop up front for you if you're pushin it hard through twisties...I'll tell you that. I will say it will get up and go....but you aint doing it quickly in the higher gears.
I have K&N 3909 AC Kit,Rhinehardt TDs and a Thundermax/autotune on my 07 EG Classic and it will roll on with authority in 6th...no need to drop a gear.
Maybe I'll put a cam in and add the autotune to the PC V. Nobody around here I know of can Dyno a Trike. My question is which one???? Ive never dealt with more than doing simple Stage 1 on any of my bikes and was always happy with the results so never went any farther. This thing needs something to get rid of the anchor holding it back.
The TTS tuner has the capacity of creating modified VE tables by riding the bike on the street. This would be an option for the trike that can't go on a dyno.
For me it would be gearing and TTS as a first step for the trike.
ViennaHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 07:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Hillside wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'll chime in and say this.
Bore the OEM cylinders to 107", install a Wood TW-5-6, and have the heads worked/matched for a torque oriented build.
That along with a gear change, that WILL make that machine much more nimble, increase fuel economy, and just plain more fun.
Scott
Hillside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.