07 flht Intermittent Rough Running, Stalling at Idle : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 96" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2009, 11:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

NYABATE wants to know Dino or Syn?
07 flht Intermittent Rough Running, Stalling at Idle

My Lady has a '07 Flht with 20k on it. It all started around 18k where she had a Rough running and a stall when comming to a stop. She thought she ran out of gas but the gas light only came on 5 miles before this happened. She fired it up and it ran fine, but only had a block to go before she was home. I told her if its anything like the Chevys I work on the fuel level sender is bad and she most likely ran out of gas and when she put the kickstand down it sloshed enough fuel to get her home. Well we took it to the dealer and there had been a P1356 Rear Cylinder No Combustion code in history. They didn't find anything wrong and recommended plugs. So I installed some new plugs. It has been fine for 2k miles, and now it has happened again, with no codes, and full of gas. Water in gas? Well I took care of that and she has ran a few tanks since with no problems. Low and behold it happend again, full tank of gas. I checked battery connections, and plug wire connections all fine. She has the Python 2" slip ons but they have been on for 13k without a problem. No codes yet.What I gather from her information is it seems as if it is running on one cylinder, after it stalls and she fires it up everything is ok. This last time she still had a problem after she started it again, once it stalled she turned of the BIKE TRONICS radio and started it and brought it to me. Low and behold, it runs fine. Any ideas of where to start looking if this happens again? Or so it doesn't. My '78 Shovel is so much easier to diagnose, usually its a part that falls off.

Thanks,

WarDog
NYABATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Axe Man

BVBOB wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have seen that code several times on different bikes when the plug wires were not fully engaged onto the plug or into the coil, a bad wire can also trip this code. You may also want to look at the pin connections in the injector plug, some of these wire leads are very short and with a rubber mount motor they get shook around pretty good and can break at the crimp.
553 bd cams
Power duals with re-core cvo
Welded crank

1982 FXRS
new paint
new tires
new brakes
new clutch
Soon to be back on the road

Being honest may not make you a lot of friends but it will always make you the right ones.
BVBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Ender

Pikeslayer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Fuel line pin hole?
Hobanized Crank, Axtell 117" cylinders, CP flat tops, 10.6:1 CR, Woods TW8, R&R cast heads, R&R roller rockers, HPI 51mm T/B, 4.9 g/s SE injectors, D&D Fat Cat 2into1 QB, Rivera Pro Clutch, Evo Industries 49T, Tuned by Big Boyz
Pikeslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

lightupyourbike wants to know Dino or Syn?
my 2007 street glide was doing the same thing...there was an ECU update that fixed it...no charge from the dealer!!

good luck!!
lightupyourbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
My 07 stalls. Dealer just says, doesn't do it when I ride it. Idles rough at times.
Some people have been bumping idle up. I know a guy with 07, he got some kind of flash from dealer and bumped it to around 1100.

What ticks me off about the SERT is you don't know what they did. Be nice to keep it as starting point for stage 1 and builds. Be nice to know the fixes the are doing.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

HogBag wants to know Dino or Syn?
Maybe parade mode kicking in
HogBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

NYABATE wants to know Dino or Syn?
Here is an update...Sry it has been awhile. The problem still exists at 27k and is out of warranty. The HD dealer has no idea and it hasn't brought the code back. The bike sometimes backfires when this happens, almost like if you turn the kill switch off and back on quick. This leads me to a spark problem but I yet to find it. When I ride the bike I never experience the problem. Last night it happened to her again, only on decel, it runs rough then stalls. When I ride alongside her I notice when she is dwnshftng the exhaust pops a bit different and she says it is rough running, but doesn't stall. I look at the bike and listen to it and all seems fine, so I think she is just freaking about this issue, BUT, If she turns it off and restarts it, all is good. Hmmmm.....

It sucks for me cause its the old ladys bike and I have to hear it!!! I am a 17yr chevy tech but hey what do I know about these Fuel Injected HDs.

Thanx all,

WarDog
V.P. Monroe NYS ABATE
NYABATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Draggin' Floorboards!

jpilone wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you're a chevy tech, you sure it isn't the air inlet actuator from an impala causing the issue? Or maybe an intermediate shaft from a last-generation tahoe? LOL (I'm a chevy service writer!)

If you're popping on decel, that's indicating a lean condition as well, which could be a leak in the exhaust letting air into it.

I would check everything with a connection that has anything to do with the suck/bang/blow. Check the ignition module and connections, plug wires, injectors/connectors/. Check the IAC operation and the throttle body for carbon buildup. (That's a biggie for stalling)

Have you replaced the fuel filter on it yet?

There are alot of what-ifs on this one..
Brand Spankin' New as of 10/3/12!
jpilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement