New SE Heavy Breather installed today : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 96" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

EVGHOG wants to know Dino or Syn?
New SE Heavy Breather installed today

I have a 2009 Harley Road King stock except for the HD Stage 1 air cleaner, Vance & Hines Ovals slip-ons and a FuelPak. This work was all done by the dealer at the time of purchase. The bike now has approx 100 miles on the clock. Today I replaced the Stage 1 air cleaner with the Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather. It was my understanding that no changes in the settings of the FuelPak were necessary (Tech support from V&H). However, the bike runs bad. There is definite exhaust note change (not as loud) and you can hear the suction of air through the breather (Iím guessing that is normal) The most disturbing part is the presence of smoke from the exhaust and at idle the bike runs rough and is close to stalling. Any idea what might be happening?

Thanks - Ed
EVGHOG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
yep, you went rich. need a real tuner. believing v&h? i got some swamp land!
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydbal View Post
yep, you went rich. need a real tuner. believing v&h? i got some swamp land!
Yeah i didn't believe them either...I have another request into them. It may be as simple as adjusting the fuelpak. Also, are you saying the fuelpak is not a good product? Is there something better out there?

Ed
Old 04-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

hobobiker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVGHOG View Post
Yeah i didn't believe them either...I have another request into them. It may be as simple as adjusting the fuelpak. Also, are you saying the fuelpak is not a good product? Is there something better out there?

Ed
Ed,

I have to agree that it sounds like you went rich, but I wanted to let you know that I just put the V&H slash cuts and a Heavy Breather on my 2009 FLHX with 400 miles and I've had nothing but good results. I'll likely go to a Master Tuner when I change the cams in the next couple of years, but I thought the V&H was a good stop-gap while I put some miles on her.

The filters are pre-oiled for use and sometimes this is pretty heavy. It might help to wash the filter and lightly oil it. I would double check the V&H settings again as well, and dropping them a quick e-mail will usually result in them revamping your settings within a couple of days (don't quote me on the timing - it's been known to fluctuate a little).

Let us know how things go...
hobobiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

I've reached out to V&H again - hopefully I'll get a response soon. I'll let you know how i make out.

Ed
Old 04-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

One thing worth mentioning here - Upon further investigation the bike seems to run much hotter. The idle seems fine when it’s cold and then much rougher when it’s hot. (this happens rather quickly at idle, which didn’t happen before). Also, when it gets hot it blows white smoke.
Ed
Old 04-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

rbabos wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
One thing worth mentioning here - Upon further investigation the bike seems to run much hotter. The idle seems fine when itís cold and then much rougher when itís hot. (this happens rather quickly at idle, which didnít happen before). Also, when it gets hot it blows white smoke.
Ed
You are seriously lean man, not rich.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
You are seriously lean man, not rich.
Ron
So I guess I need to wait to hear back from V&H on a mapping change - right?
Old 04-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

meultrahog wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you put a heavy breather on that's supposed to suck more air than a stage one breather. why would you think it would go rich? Me thinks lean. Edit: The bike also runs hotter, also an indication of lean

Last edited by meultrahog; 04-10-2009 at 04:21 PM.
meultrahog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

teebone1941 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Way lean not saying the v&h wont work but you would have a little more flexability with a pcIII also may work better with any future mods.
teebone1941 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
you cannot tune a bike with fuel pak. lean smokes at low speed? lean quietens exhaust?
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydbal View Post
you cannot tune a bike with fuel pak. lean smokes at low speed? lean quietens exhaust?
Rich overheats the engine? White smoke is fuel?
Ron
Old 04-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

I think i found the problem

Check this post out.

http://hdforums.com/forum/touring-mo...d-and-fyi.html

Does this make sense? If these bolts have to breath - how is that accomplished when the caps and O-rings are in place covering those bolts.

Ed
Old 04-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Check this post out.

http://hdforums.com/forum/touring-mo...d-and-fyi.html

Does this make sense? If these bolts have to breath - how is that accomplished when the caps and O-rings are in place covering those bolts.

Ed
Read some of it and deem it as possible depending on bolt. If the breather bolts have holes in them they work. As for your question about where the air goes. In behind those chrome caps the cavity will have a hole that goes directly into the intake opening. Remove the elbow and each cover cap for the breather bolts and feed a small wire through from the intake bore to see if they are open. This was what I was mainly referring to . When I installed mine, I blew through each breather bolt and the cavity holes to make sure they were open and working. It works as slick as snot.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 04-12-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mstng5point0 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Does you bike already have the stage 1 download from the dealer? Cause if you tuning you fuelpak thinkin the computer is stock that could be ur problem. What setting number are you using?
mstng5point0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.