Thoughts on the Crane HTC-300-2 cam : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 96" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 04:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

HS2020 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thoughts on the Crane HTC-300-2 cam

Does anyone have any ideas about how well the Crane HTC-300-2 cam should perform in the 96" engine for a touring bike?
It's Specs. are:
Intake: 13/33, Exhaust: 42/14, Max. lift of 0.505"
My bike's engine is currently a stock 07' FLHTC, with only SE mufflers, SE air filter, and Tmax/Autotune added.
I don't plan on any immediate cylinder head work with H/C pistons, but was looking for just a little more grunt from 2000 to 4500 rpm range. The specs for this cam seems to be a very close split between the Andew's 26H and 37H, which both have decent reviews for a stock motor. Any insight or suggestions about Crane cams would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2007 FLHTC, formal dress black
Patriot Defender 2-1 exhaust
Crane 300-2 cams
TMAT map 397
Arne J., Bothell, WA
My bike maintains my sanity.
HS2020 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2008, 12:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Grand Poobah wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have lived with this Crane cam for around 27,000 miles and it pulls well and comes on early. I shift between between 2 and 3k most of the time. I am actually looking to make a change and am willing to loose a little on the very low bottom to gain a litttle above 4,000. If I had it to do over I would choose the Crane 310 on a 96" engine. My gut feeling is the strokers can benifit from more duration and possible a little later closing to gain stronger performance at higher RPM's. Dont get me wrong the Crane runs strong . I am real interested in the Dave Mackie 510 cam and the HQ500. Winters coming.
Walt

Last edited by Grand Poobah; 10-22-2008 at 12:36 AM.
Grand Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 01:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Poobah View Post
I have lived with this Crane cam for around 27,000 miles and it pulls well and come on early. Because of its power I shift between most normal riding stays between 2 and 3k. I am actually looking to make a change and am willing to loose a little on the very low bottom to gain a litttle above 4,000. If I had it to do over I would choose the Crane 310 on a 96" engine. My gut feeling is the strokers can benifit from more duration and possible a little later closing to gain stronger performance at higher RPM's. Dont get me wrong the Crane runs strong .
Walt
Thanks for your input on this matter, it's greatly appreciated. I found out that the information I listed earlier about the Crane 300 cam's durations was incorrect according to Crane's web-site. The cam spec's I listed earlier was what I found on Nightrider's site under their HD cam spec's list. It appears that my shift points are almost exactly as your's, but I just need a little more pull for passing. The stock C/R on my engine is about 9.2:1, so I'm very hesitant about over camming my stock engine with too much duration or lift to risk adversely affecting my touring gas mileage. The Andrew's 26G cam now appears to be my limited best choice cam for a slight improvement to my stock engine without my paranoid concerns.
Thanks again, and ride safe.
Arne

btw: Thanks for the tips on the Dave Mackie & HQ cams, I'll be sure to check them out too before deciding. Good luck on your winter project.

Crane 300-2 cams
TMAT map 397
Arne J., Bothell, WA

Last edited by HS2020; 10-22-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Moneygreen

arealinvestor wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS2020 View Post
Does anyone have any ideas about how well the Crane HTC-300-2 cam should perform in the 96" engine for a touring bike?
It's Specs. are:
Intake: 13/33, Exhaust: 42/14, Max. lift of 0.505"
My bike's engine is currently a stock 07' FLHTC, with only SE mufflers, SE air filter, and Tmax/Autotune added.
I don't plan on any immediate cylinder head work with H/C pistons, but was looking for just a little more grunt from 2000 to 4500 rpm range. The specs for this cam seems to be a very close split between the Andew's 26H and 37H, which both have decent reviews for a stock motor. Any insight or suggestions about Crane cams would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
With an intake close of 33 degrees it should give you just what your looking for .Not much lift,but then again its a bolt in cam.You want real grunt down low ?????Go to Woods performance and choose one of his cams!!!!You will not be disappointed!!! His cams will bring the beast out of your tame 96 motor!!!! Call Mr.Woods tell him what you have ,and he will recommend a cam for you!!!!!

2010 Ultra Classic Hot Rod Built & Tuned by JD's
BB & Baisley Hybrid Heads with man/Comp releases
Axtell Pistons & Cylinders set with high comp,Big CCP
Darkhorse Stroker Crank,balanced,plugged & welded
Woods A/C kit & Lifters
T-Man gear crank set
High Flow HPI Inj & BB TBW Throttle body
D&D Boarzilla (perforated baffle)
Lenale cooling fan
Jagg 10 row oil cooler
K&P engineering oil filter
To much more to list!!!!!!
arealinvestor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 06:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
FNG :)

softailguy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
I just need a little more pull for passing. The stock C/R on my engine is about 9.2:1, so I'm very hesitant about over camming my stock engine with too much duration or lift to risk adversely affecting my touring gas mileage. The Andrew's 26G cam now appears to be my limited best choice cam for a slight improvement to my stock engine without my paranoid concerns.
I chose the 26G for similar reasons and was pleasantly surprised at how much difference it made... Power where you use it most...

fwiw & Regards,

Doug
Magnecor Wires
Andrews 26G Cams
SE Cam Plate
Cycle Shack Slipons
softailguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by arealinvestor View Post
With an intake close of 33 degrees it should give you just what your looking for .Not much lift,but then again its a bolt in cam.You want real grunt down low ?????Go to Woods performance and choose one of his cams!!!!You will not be disappointed!!! His cams will bring the beast out of your tame 96 motor!!!! Call Mr.Woods tell him what you have ,and he will recommend a cam for you!!!!!
Thanks for your in-put on this matter. The intake close that I posted was based on bad information that I acquired earlier. That Crane cam has a much longer intake close for what I want in early to mid. torque. I've heard a lot of great press here about the Woods 6-6 cams, but that it truely performs it's best with a high C/R and flowed heads. Thanks again for the suggestions though, it's greatly appreciated.

Crane 300-2 cams
TMAT map 397
Arne J., Bothell, WA

Last edited by HS2020; 10-22-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by softailguy View Post
I chose the 26G for similar reasons and was pleasantly surprised at how much difference it made... Power where you use it most...

fwiw & Regards,

Doug

Thanks for the update on your positive experience with that cam, I appreciate the feedback.

Take care,

Crane 300-2 cams
TMAT map 397
Arne J., Bothell, WA
Old 10-25-2008, 12:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

fastroadking106 wants to know Dino or Syn?
try the wildthing tc46 try have done alot of work with lobe timinga and have a very wide power band and you will be super impressed with the starting advantages you get also
fastroadking106 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2008, 01:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastroadking106 View Post
try the wildthing tc46 try have done alot of work with lobe timinga and have a very wide power band and you will be super impressed with the starting advantages you get also
Thanks for the tip, I'm trying to keep an open mind with all these options, and I'll add them to my research list.

Crane 300-2 cams
TMAT map 397
Arne J., Bothell, WA
Old 10-25-2008, 09:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

fastroadking106 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have used about 6 sets of these and everybody loves them I have change a 95" harley build over to the from s/e 211 that had to use comp. releases for every start to now not using them at all and the bottom end to midrange power change is outragous even with a cheap set of drag pipes with big city baffles if he would go to a good 2 into 1 pipe it would really come alive
fastroadking106 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2008, 12:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastroadking106 View Post
I have used about 6 sets of these and everybody loves them I have change a 95" harley build over to the from s/e 211 that had to use comp. releases for every start to now not using them at all and the bottom end to midrange power change is outragous even with a cheap set of drag pipes with big city baffles if he would go to a good 2 into 1 pipe it would really come alive
Thanks again for your input; I'm beginning to think that I might want to get a "little more cam" for future engine mod's.

Crane 300-2 cams
TMAT map 397
Arne J., Bothell, WA
Old 01-01-2009, 12:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

grandpa Tom wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Thanks for your in-put on this matter. The intake close that I posted was based on bad information that I acquired earlier. That Crane cam has a much longer intake close for what I want in early to mid. torque. I've heard a lot of great press here about the Woods 6-6 cams, but that it truely performs it's best with a high C/R and flowed heads. Thanks again for the suggestions though, it's greatly appreciated.
HS2020: I am also looking at cams for my 07 FLSTC and just seen the Crane HTC 300-2, during my looking for Crane cam specs I have found a site that said the Crane cam for the 96" motor is now called the 1-6000, so I am a little mixed up on which crane cam is really which for my bike.
Another site says the HTC 300 will still work, then another says its for the 88" not the 96"s so its confusing.

Now for my question in your above statement, You said the Crane cam has a longer Intake close, Do you mean Earlier or later? I have never heard of longer Intake Close when referring to Intake valve timing.
Then you said it has a longer IC than what you want in a Low-mid tq. My research and understanding is that you want a early closing Intake for more tq low-mid rpm's.
Just trying to understand you ?'s and or statements......

In my search the stock cam closes at 30*. Andrews 26 is 35*, SE204 is 34*, and the crane HTC300-2 is 33*. So if you want good low-mid TQ the crane 300-2 (1-6000) has a lower intake close than most others for a bolt in cam. Unless you put in a 4* advance gear.
Up till now I was thinking on the SE 204, but I want to dig to find more information on the Crane cams now.

Does anyone have dyno #'s they can post or tell about.. or maybe the HTC310-2 dyno results.

thanks if anyone can help....
Andrews 26h cams

Last edited by grandpa Tom; 01-05-2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: clean up
grandpa Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member

BaggerDad wants to know Dino or Syn?
Here's another Crane HTC 300-2 (1-6000) thread on the Harley Tech Talk Net forum

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index....ic,3623.0.html
http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index....html#msg205919
http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index....ic,4582.0.html
Compression Releases
3.937" Axtell cylinders
3.937 CP Flat Top Pistons
0.030" Head Gasket
Wood TW5G cam (Intake close 37 & Duration 234/234)
Horsepower Inc 51mm TB
HPI V2 A/C
RB Racing LSR 2-1
3.37 final gear ratio
TTS Mastertune

Last edited by BaggerDad; 02-17-2010 at 02:26 PM.
BaggerDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa Tom View Post
HS2020: I am also looking at cams for my 07 FLSTC and just seen the Crane HTC 300-2, during my looking for Crane cam specs I have found a site the said that now the Crane cam for the 96" motor its called the 1-6000, so I am a little mixed up on which crane cam is really which for my bike.
Another site says the HTC 300 will still work, then another says its for the 88" not the 96"s so its confusing.

Now for my question in your above statement, You said the Crane cam has a longer Intake close, Do you mean Earlier or later? I have never heard of longer Intake Close when referring to Intake valve timing.
Then you said it has a longer IC than what you want in a Low-mid tq. My research and understanding is that you want a early closing Intake for more tq low-mid rpm's.
Just trying to understand you ?'s and or statements......

In my search the stock cam closes at 30*. Andrews 26 is 35*, SE204 is 34*, and the crane HTC300-2 is 33*. So if you want good low-mid TQ the crane 300-2 is a little better than the others for a bolt in cam. Unless you put in a 4* advance gear.
Up till now I was thinking on the SE 204, but I want to dig to find more information on the Crane cams now.

Does anyone have dyno #'s they can post or tell about.. or maybe the HTC310-2 dyno results.

thanks if anyone can help....
grandpa Tom,
It's been several months since I posted this while researching cams, and discovered that the net-site I pulled the cam spec's for were incorrect. After later visiting the Crane website the specs on those cams have a little more duration than I wanted for my stock engine. The major issue that's been ticking me off is that I've found at least 3 different cam spec's for the 07'-08' 96" engine, and don't know which one is truely correct. They all agree though that the stock cams have literally a negative In/Ex overlap. My research for the stock cam spec's are Screamin Eagle catalog, Andrews website, and AI's article-June 2008. According to AI's article regarding the Big Twin Cam Spec. Chart, the 1999 FI Twinkie Engines (pre-extreme smog reqmt's) were running IN: 02/34, 216* and EX: 36/06, 220*, with cam lifts of 0.473". I feel that something closer to those spec's should make the stock 96" engine run much better, without sacrificing it's gas mileage too bad. The cam that currently has my strongest interest is the Andrews 21H or 26H, since its extremely rare for me to exceed more than 4500 rpm's, even while passing.
Best of luck on finding the best cam for your riding style.
Arne

Crane 300-2 cams
TMAT map 397
Arne J., Bothell, WA
Old 01-06-2009, 12:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

grandpa Tom wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well Happy New Year to all.
HS2020: I have the same problem finding different stock 07 cam Specs .
Big Boyz web site shows 484 lift both, Int = -12/30, exh = 38/4. overlap -8,
LC = 111/107, and LS = 109 for the injected 07-08, but not sure if it is for the B motors.

One of the best post on cams I have found is by BAGGERDAD two post up. He posted it on 10/5/05 it explains the ins/outs of cams as good as any.
So my hat is off the BAGGERDAD. thanks for that posting. Easy to read yet deals with problems we face today picking our cam..

Another article I read lately, cant find it now, says the bolt in cams are in a group of their own. All close to each other and picking THE one is still personal preference.
Is seems to me that different areas of the country have a different favorite cam.

I will agree the Woods cam probably is at the top of the list everywhere.
Although I dont know anyone running them. But some say even it has draw backs..

At my age and the guys I ride with mostly Heritages, and Road Kings, we want our Tq somewhere between 2-4.5k rpm's.
So the Wood 5 & 6:, Crane 1-6000 & 1-6001:, Andrews 21 & 26:,& 37:, SE 203 & 204 :, Dave Mackie tc500:, HQ TC510:, Tman TR525C:, and others not on the this list is all close to each other but still different enough to pick one for each ones needs.. The Bold ones = better low TQ
I am looking at these cams because I want a little more TQ low-mid, and a better running motor, I am not interested in building a 100-100 or more motor.
Might lose Grandma off the rear end, HA, That would NOT be GOOD!

So I might be picky but still trying to find the one that fits my needs and not have to do it again.

So far for me I leaning on the Crane 1-6000 and a new set of D&D fatcats Quiet baffle.
Already have stage 1 and Rush 2" baffles. K&N, SERT.
We ride two up 90% time, and total around 375lb's before we stop and eat. Ha.
Very seldom rev above 5k and usually before 4k, If Grandma's on.

Thank you all for this Forum and it is helpful to many...
Andrews 26h cams

Last edited by grandpa Tom; 01-18-2009 at 10:09 AM.
grandpa Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.