recommended oil change intervals : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 96" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

35386 wants to know Dino or Syn?
recommended oil change intervals

The users manual, as well as the service manual, for my 08 FXD specifies the oil in the engine be changed every 5000 miles, primary oil every 10,000 miles, and the transmission every 20,000 miles.

Does anyone else follow these intervals?
I will have 5000 miles on the bike by tonight and plan on changing my engine oil and filter tomorrow. Is there any reason I should change all 3 instead of running the primary and trans fluids to their recommended 10K and 20K mile limits? I've been using M1 synthetics in all 3 holes and really don't see a need to waste perfectly good oil. I checked the transmission levels last week and found it was spot on and very clean still. I know you can't tell the condition of the oil by its color or dirt content but it does look new still.

combustion by-products in the oil are what damage engine parts over time but this should not apply to the primary or the transmission.

I know, it's my bike and I can do what I want with it regardless of anyones opinions but I'm curious if most feel that frequent oil changes are cheap insurance and can only help extend the life of an primary and trans.
35386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
FOG

trooper113 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I do follow the guidelines on my '07 Ultra. I see no reason not to. I do, by the way, use Amsoil syn oil and gear lube all around.

trooper113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
"3 feet high'n rising..."

mikevr007 wants to know Dino or Syn?

with what he said.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Pitch wants to know Dino or Syn?
I follow it for the engine, but probably will be more frequent in the transmission.

The 1000 mile maintenance was done at 885 with Syn3 by the slightly used previous owner and I did all 3 at 1800 with Amsoil in every hole. Wanted nothing but the best in there.

The transmission oil at 1800 was ** FULL ** of tiny metallic pieces that just "waved" in the oil pan !! (My friend's RK was the same way...)

There is no way in God's green earth I am going to change the tranny fluid that infrequent!
Baffles Punched Out of Original Pipes - Wow, Super Deep Sound & Bark.
Lots of extra Chrome, always adding more
Averaging 600 miles a week
Pitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 wants to know Dino or Syn?
to the letter
Theres is no reason under normal condition to change any of the lubes sooner.
Now if your racing you bike or driving it throught flood water It might be a good idea to change it more often. Other wise you are wasting time and money just to sleep better.
I do support the use of 100% SNY enegine oil.
M1 VTWIN. Spectro 20/50 Platium, Redline 20/50 and others are all great oils.
I use Spectro
Transmission 100% sny gear lubes not oil
Spectro Platium for six speeds, Redline shock proof heavy. Bel-ray ,M1 gear lube all good ones.
I use Spectro
Primary is one place to avoid sny lubes, HD F+ redline primary oil , Spectro primary oil and other all good.
I sample mine because I can and have been told that Engine oil is still fine at change and would not need changing.
Transmission lube is as good as new at change
Primary ok recommend change.
Todays TRUE sny not cracked oils or blended stuff are great.
The additives they use last. It took them awhile to over come EPA forcing the reduction of zinc but they all did .
SNY lube do reduce heat hold up to heat better cling and coat better than others.
See for your self run them sample them .
If I were running normal oils in my bikes I would chnage them sooner maily because of the heat.
Tra
smitty901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

OhioGlider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Are they rationing punctuation marks in WI?

You might do yourself a little favor and periodically loosen/re-tighten your derby cover bolts on your primary. By 10K the boogers sometimes want to stay shut....

Last edited by OhioGlider; 07-12-2008 at 10:17 PM.
OhioGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Montyl wants to know Dino or Syn?
Here is one other thing to keep in mind. When you bought your '08 it came with a 2 year warranty, unless you bought the extended warranty then you are covered longer. If you do not follow the recommended service intervals your warranty is null and void. If you have a shop perform the service you have something to stand on if you have problems. If you do your own service, you had better have receipts to prove the required parts were replaced at their service intervals.
Montyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement