Good oil coolers : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 96" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2008, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

HeritageHarley wants to know Dino or Syn?
Good oil coolers

Is there any good oil cooling units that actually help keep the oil temp down, especially in a traffic situation, the Harley unit has been nothing but trouble and I have actually had my oil pressure drop down to zero in traffic. Just looking for Ideas on what to do to keep my bike runnin healthy for longer. And i use the premium harley oil cooler.

~HH~
HeritageHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2008, 07:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

C-Cat wants to know Dino or Syn?
check out bob wood's website, he has a few choices.
C-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
RJC
Seasoned Rider

RJC wants to know Dino or Syn?
LaNale electric oil cooler. It is a HD premium with a fan assy added to the front of the cooler. I had one on my 07 heritage and it works awesome. Very nice quality piece. You will not be disappointed.
He also make the fans you see on ebay. The oil cooler I mentioned is in some of the pics.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...2BSI%26otn%3D4
Old 05-18-2008, 11:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

HeritageHarley wants to know Dino or Syn?
Problem is if it's not gonna be a Harley Unit i don't want something that stands out like a sore thumb. Gotta make my bike look good and do it's job don't really care how much just want something efficient and decent looking or invisible. If you own a Harley i'm sure you feel the same way.
HeritageHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

muleskinner wants to know Dino or Syn?
Lightbulb Oil Cooler Solution

I too like you, have been screwing around with the HD premium oil cooler on my 07 FLHX attempting to get it to work properly. But, I've discovered it's not the actual cooler unit that is the problem. The HD premium oil cooler is a good cooler and is most likely made by Jagg for HD. It's the HD oil cooler adapter with the thermostat inside that is the problem.

I looked at Jagg oil cooler products and was impressed with their oil filter adapter unit. I'm currently experimenting with the HD oil filter adapter unit with the thermostat removed and the thermostat by pass passageway blocked. So far so good.

But, if in the future I still have problems, I will most likely go with the Jagg adapter that has no thermostat inside. I live in the hot SO CAL high desert and I don't think I will experiance any "Over cooling" problems running the oil cooler without a thermostat.

Now if I lived and rode in cold weather country, I would still go with the Jagg oil cooler adapter without a thermostat, but I would install the manual oil flow cut off valve in the cooler line, so I could shut off the cooler in cold weather.

I forgot to ask, what type of problems are you having with the HD cooler you have?

Last edited by muleskinner; 05-20-2008 at 11:16 PM.
muleskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
Or just do like us "ol farts" do and put a cover over it if the ambient temp is below 50 degrees. Been using a cover off and on for many years on various bikes.
Ed Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

muleskinner wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yes covers work just fine. But I would rather have the shut off valve, as it would have a cleaner look in my opinion.
muleskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
JHC

JHC wants to know Dino or Syn?
Newbee here. Can you expand on who Bob Wood is and website?
JHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

fj1200 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHC View Post
Newbee here. Can you expand on who Bob Wood is and website?
http://www.woodcarbs.com/

2006 Big Dog Mastiff, S&S 117, S&S 600 cam, Thunderheart ignition, Doherty PowerPacc, Supertrapp Supermeg, XXX carb
1992 Yamaha FJ1200 - stock engine, Uni filter pods, Dynojet stage 1 jet
2012 HD FLHXSE3, stock 110 engine, Rush Dual headers and HD Nightstick mufflers
fj1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

59panhead wants to know Dino or Syn?
OIL COOLERS only work when your moving! Period ! Except the ULTRACOOL OIL COOLER made in Calif. It works when your in traffic or when your moving ! It has a computer size fan that will continue to cool the oil when your stopped ! All other coolers dont do this ! Not Jagg., not H-D's So that means there pretty much a waste of time and Money. And being that H=D is always 10 years behind the after market world....and the T-C Motor is an over heating Smog pump...the Ultra Cool oil cooler is the best I have used and installed PERIOD !

Ultracool .com
59panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Coolmaker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Jagg adapter is a great deal better than the Harley adapter. Jagg suggests the one w/o the t-stat. A cover is a simple thing to use.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

sportcruiser wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolmaker View Post
Jagg adapter is a great deal better than the Harley adapter. Jagg suggests the one w/o the t-stat. A cover is a simple thing to use.
I use the Jagg adapter with the HD cooler. Oil temps seldom exceed 230 (which is about the same as my car). The Jagg adapter is far superior to the HD unit.
sportcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

pig fixer wants to know Dino or Syn?
oil coolers

I have an 01 FXDX 107 I mounted a CVO Harley oil cooler mount to my bike years ago with a jagg oil cooler and have never had a problem.
Now what I used was the CVO oil filter mount with the oil cooler bypass and thermostat built in. I never have any problems with the adapter trying to back off when changing filters, I've never had any leak's or oil pressure problems.
I had a night train that I mounted a jagg adapter to and that was a PITA, it would want to loosen at every oil change, I had to replace the gasket from the constant movement when changing out oil filters.
So what in your eye's makes the Harley unit bad ? Now again I didn't use there adapter, I used the CVO oil filter mount with the thermostat and cooler fittings made as part of the unit, so maybe that's why I see no problem with the unit I have. If the problem lie's in the HD adapter it's self then I guess I have no dog in this race. Although I have used the HD adapter and other than wanting to back off with oil filter changes I never saw a problem and oil pressure was always as it should be ?
By the way Jagg has come out with a fan assisted 10 row cooler. It's out now for the late model's and a model for the earlier models should be out shortly. It doesn't have the cover around it like the Ultra cooler does and in my opinion should work better because of this.
I did run a HD premium oil cooler on an FLHTCI I had and again didn't like the adapter but the cooler was great. The only problem I had with the adapter was the constant movement when changing filters. It came with a chrome cover to go over the cooler with the HD bar and shield on it. I left it off as an oil cooler needs air to cool and putting a cover over it defeats the purpose of what the cooler is meant to do.
pig fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Clevy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Jagg has a fan assisted thermostat controller 10 row cooler. They look pretty good
Clevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Coolmaker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pig fixer View Post
I have an 01 FXDX 107 I mounted a CVO Harley oil cooler mount to my bike years ago with a jagg oil cooler and have never had a problem.
Now what I used was the CVO oil filter mount with the oil cooler bypass and thermostat built in. I never have any problems with the adapter trying to back off when changing filters, I've never had any leak's or oil pressure problems.
I had a night train that I mounted a jagg adapter to and that was a PITA, it would want to loosen at every oil change, I had to replace the gasket from the constant movement when changing out oil filters.
So what in your eye's makes the Harley unit bad ? Now again I didn't use there adapter, I used the CVO oil filter mount with the thermostat and cooler fittings made as part of the unit, so maybe that's why I see no problem with the unit I have. If the problem lie's in the HD adapter it's self then I guess I have no dog in this race. Although I have used the HD adapter and other than wanting to back off with oil filter changes I never saw a problem and oil pressure was always as it should be ?
By the way Jagg has come out with a fan assisted 10 row cooler. It's out now for the late model's and a model for the earlier models should be out shortly. It doesn't have the cover around it like the Ultra cooler does and in my opinion should work better because of this.
I did run a HD premium oil cooler on an FLHTCI I had and again didn't like the adapter but the cooler was great. The only problem I had with the adapter was the constant movement when changing filters. It came with a chrome cover to go over the cooler with the HD bar and shield on it. I left it off as an oil cooler needs air to cool and putting a cover over it defeats the purpose of what the cooler is meant to do.
The passages in the Harley adapter are to small and do not flow enough.

If you install the Jagg anti-rotational device with their adapters, they do not move....
Advertisement