New SERT SuperTuner first impression : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 96" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 03:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

ViennaHog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thumbs down New SERT SuperTuner first impression

Got the new SERT Super tuner in my hands. It's an improvement in many areas (windows next to each other for an easy copy&paste) etc, but one of the biggest screw ups is, that you can only enter and use the tuning mode when the SERT is hooked up to a bike. No way that you calculate VEs etc. off-line, modify the calibration and then flash the ECM. Everything has to be done on-line and then you can re-flash. Imagine sitting in the shop for hours and do the calculations with the ignition on etc. etc. Who in the world has created this?
I will return the thing for that very reason and will wait for the aftermarket solutions. I am an idiot in a way that I believe the newer HD stuff is the better stuff.

Last edited by ViennaHog; 02-29-2008 at 03:46 AM.
ViennaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2008, 05:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

sloxl wants to know Dino or Syn?
You may not have to wait long for an aftermarket SERT. I can't find the original article but apparently Harley and the original SERT manufacturer have parted ways. Somehow HD did not keep, or ever have, the rights so the SERT OEM is coming out with a version that will have all the bells and whistles that they, and the users, wanted but the moco refused to release. A USB connection being one of the benefits.

OK, found it. Here is a post from "Steve Cole":

The SERT was and always has been a product of TTS. Just look under "help" and "about" in every copy of the software ever sold. We manufactured both the hardware and software. HD has never owned it. Up until last year there were agreements in place that no longer apply so we are taking the product to the public and it will be marketed as a TTS product once again. If you do some searching you would find we've been manufacture tuning and logging software since the late 80's early 90's. The product will revert back to the original names of Mastertune and DataMaster. Ever wonder why the file ext's were .MTx and DMx? Now you know why. The current product (SERT) can be run with both applications on the screen at once and you can simply "click" from one window to the other as this is a standard feature in windows. We have no involvement in the new tuner that HD will be selling. The maps on our site are a free service that we provide for anyone to download and use. It's a clearing house of maps for our products but it's up to you the public how good it becomes. As stated before I cannot get into everything that will be coming in our first public release but rest assured there are many improvements with many more to follow in future releases. Everything we've wanted to do for over 2 years is in the works but it will not all come out in the first release as it would take to long to complete it all. Any purchaser of our new TTS product will be able to update to the latest software free of charge. This is something we've wanted since we first started selling through HD back in 2002 but again they refused to move forward with much of anything other than to add the next model year for coverage to the product.

Their website hasn't been updated yet, but here it is:
http://www.mastertune.net/files/calibrations.asp

sloxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Thorns wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just bought an old SERT off Ebay for that very reason...got it cheaper than Zanotti's too...I'm a happy camper. It does the trick.

Thorns

Thorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

ViennaHog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Unhappy CORRECTION of my initial post

THE SUPERTUNER tables can be edited off line by advanced users
and ViennaHog is an old computer illiterate fart............

learned this on another board. Looks like that you can open 4 windows simultaneously and copy&paste etc.
ViennaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Krayven Sumhead wants to know Dino or Syn?
Of course the MoFoCo wouldn't release ANYTHING that would benefit the customer and make the system more user friendly. They'd be baggin their own lunch. Sorta like the new ABS system.
Krayven Sumhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

KenInVic wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaHog View Post
THE SUPERTUNER tables can be edited off line by advanced users
and ViennaHog is an old computer illiterate fart............

learned this on another board. Looks like that you can open 4 windows simultaneously and copy&paste etc.
Well good thing you figured it out... I was just about to say 'what the f___ '
Old 04-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
2005 Road King Classic

wkohn wants to know Dino or Syn?
So does anyone know who makes the SERT module? Looks like TSS only makes the programs. Yes/No?

lighter is faster - Colin Chapman (founder of Lotus)
Remember that cars and motorcycles are not the only things recalled by their maker. - some wise person
wkohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
FNG :)

nairbg wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkohn View Post
So does anyone know who makes the SERT module? Looks like TSS only makes the programs. Yes/No?
Module? It appears that TTS supplies the interface connector for between the bike ECU and the PC. It seems that that is all there is to it.
nairbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement