Nightrider - Page 3 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam 96" Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2008, 01:02 PM   #31 (permalink)
FNG :)

Spaceman64 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have an 08 Street Bob with stage one A/C and download, I installed the IED's with a set of Khrome Werks slip ons. The bike runs great, pops once in a while when decelerating, has good throttle response, and mufflers dont show any signs of discoloration. I'm happy with the IED's.
Spaceman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #32 (permalink)
IronButt

kslg wants to know Dino or Syn?
Someone mentioned Extreme IED's? What are these??

I've emailed Nightrider...
2008 FLHX, super ram 5000 injection, billet unobtainium frame, raked, stretched, ported, polished, bored +1.076" (requiring sintered unobtainium cylinder liners), .890 lift/360 duration cam, 19.8:1 compression, nitrous, billet wheels, billet virgin rubber tires, custom molded seat & titanium wheelie bar. Total cost of build $1.2M
kslg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #33 (permalink)
IronButt

I just heard back from Nightrider. Here is their response:

The XIED will provide a Richer fuel mixture, about 13.8:1 AFR.
Exhaust/Engine temps should be 5+ degrees cooler than the O2 IED. The XIED
forces the ECM to throw 6-9% more fuel to the engine which would normally
show up as a slight decrease in gas mileage. But because your right hand
control mileage as much as the ECM, your mileage may vary (some testers show
increases, some decreased MPG).

The list price of the XIED is going to be $109.99, Nightrider.com Internet
price will be $99.99 + $4 shipping. Limited Availabililty will be at the end
of April, beginning of May.
2008 FLHX, super ram 5000 injection, billet unobtainium frame, raked, stretched, ported, polished, bored +1.076" (requiring sintered unobtainium cylinder liners), .890 lift/360 duration cam, 19.8:1 compression, nitrous, billet wheels, billet virgin rubber tires, custom molded seat & titanium wheelie bar. Total cost of build $1.2M
Old 04-12-2008, 09:07 PM   #34 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

cruiser85257 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I was one of the chosen few who got to test pilot the Extreme. For those of us who have it on the bike we have chosen one word to describe it "WOW". From the snapier throttle response, to the effortless ease the Bike runs up hills, even two up. The louder Bark of the exhaust. I saw my fuel mileage go up to 46.87 on my first fill up. The reason is simple, I only had to use less throttle to maintain cruising speed. Engine Temps were lower. On my test course I stopped at my midway point and saw 255 degrees on the rear and 220 degrees on the front with an outside temperature of 82 degrees. The Heat problem is no more. The new Extreme kicks butt and makes this bike feel the way you imagined the first time you stood in the dealers and saw your Bike and fantazied about it. I enjoy my Bike so much now. All I have to say is Thank You Steve and Nightriders. The price is about half of what a stage one flash costs. Worth every penny and probably a whole lot more.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #35 (permalink)
FNG :)

elpoman wants to know Dino or Syn?
I got my IED's a mouth ago, and wanted to wait until I got my 1000 mile service done, on my Ultra, before installing. To tell the truth, I see know difference in my bike. I tested the bike a few time,with and with out the IED's, riding 12 miles, each time, and tested the temp, beside the spark plug, and got similar temps each time, around 350 degrees, on the rear head. My test was 12 miles of country roads, at 55 mph, with three stop signs, and tested the heat as soon as I shut down the bike in my drive way. I tested the IED's, to see if they work, and got a .5 less volts off a 1,5 battery. It was on the cold and very windy day. I'll try again when it warms up. I really want these to work, because I do not want to put a lot more money into the bike. I want to keep it stock, and do a lot of traveling with it. Any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong?

Last edited by elpoman; 04-14-2008 at 09:11 AM.
elpoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:58 AM   #36 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Elpoman 350 degrees is a little warm for riding only 12 miles on what you describe as a cold and windy day. In comparision I get in the mid 200's on a cool day (60 degrees).
To me it doesn't sound like you have the IED's working. The question is why. Are they installed correctly? Did you get the connectors fully seated and here a click? Hopefullly you didn't bend the IED's in the middle where the electrical components are. There's always the remote possibility that your bike has another problem unrelated.
Sometimes we are too quick to blame the IED's. Considering how simple they are, and how many people who have tried them with the same successful results. There's really not that much to go wrong with them. I've got a 21 page thread of nothing but success stories one after the other with noticeable results.
Get a hold of Steve. 727-420-0896.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #37 (permalink)
IronButt

johNTO wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've been so impressed with the performance of the original iED's and what they do for my bike (cooler temps/better throttle response) that I just ordered the new XiED's!

I've also installed Fullsac's true dual conversion kit after the putting on the iED's. All I can say is....What heat issue?
johNTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #38 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

XIED's

JohTO, you'll love the XIED's. It's like IED's on Steroids.

I'm having so much fun riding my Bike now since I found Nightriders, and especially since I put the XIED's on.

Let me know what you think of them after you get a chance to run with them.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:24 PM   #39 (permalink)
IronButt

I should be receiving my XiED's any day now (they left FLA April 30th) and can't wait to plug them in. I always thought I'd keep my bike stock and just ride it as is. If that was the case the first generation iED's would have been enough.
Since adding the iED's I've installed Fullsac's true dual conversion kit and ran the stock mufflers. I noticed the bike was a bit louder and the iED's worked very nicely but the tone of the mufflers no longer sounded "right". A few days later I installed my buddies Screaming Eagle performance mufflers that he pulled off his '06 SE Ultra. Now my bike has a deep rumble and is LOUD when cranked! I've also noticed a slight popping on hard decel since adding the SE mufflers. I'm hoping the new XiED's will take care of it 'cause I'm liking the deep rumble sound.
If all is good I'll probably add the K&N3909 or ANess air filter. So much for keeping the bike stock......
Old 05-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #40 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

kry226 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cruiser, is your mileage staying up now that you've had a chance to put some more miles on the XiEDs?

2006 FLSTFI Fat Boy - Black Pearl -- TRADED
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #41 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser85257 View Post
JohTO, you'll love the XIED's. It's like IED's on Steroids.

I'm having so much fun riding my Bike now since I found Nightriders, and especially since I put the XIED's on.

Let me know what you think of them after you get a chance to run with them.
I received my XiED's yesterday and installed them when I got home. It was too late to test them out last night but I rode into the office today.
My impression of the XiED's......
1. Throttle response off the line and cruising is very crisp and linear. There is no surging or lag that I can feel.
2. The slight "popping" I was getting on hard decel has changed to a gurgle. I think the richer 13.8 AFR of the XiED's has helped.
3. I cannot comment on if the engine runs any cooler (temps riding in today was around 60F), but I'm confident I'll get similar results as the many happy rider's who commented on 34+ pages on another HD Forum.
4. If the XiED's did not exist, I would be happy with the iED's. Someone compared them as "cold water"(iED's) and "ice water"(XiED's)

I am very happy with the way my bike is running right now. Huge thanks goes to Steve at Nightrider for making this cost effective improvement and to Cruiser, Rider, and a bunch of other guys at the other HD Forum for running with the thread.

Ride safe everyone....
Rinehart Slip-ons
18" Renegade wheel&rotors
Hidden axle kit
KlockWerks 6.5"
[IMG][/IMG]
joi gin
Old 05-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #42 (permalink)
IronButt

Nother vote for the IED's

I put on the Doherty Powerpacc and IED's the other day.

The IED's only took 15 minutes to put on, the difference was immediate. Starting off from a stop there is a lot less lag. I found yesterday that when I had to pass someone on a local hwy 61, I didn't have to downshift, just rolled on the throttle and away I went. Much livelier all around, pulls better from lower rpm, don't need to give it as much throttle.

It's hard to believe an intake kit and .5 difference in air/fuel ratio can make that much difference in ride and power. Exhaust note is deeper and stronger too.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:04 PM   #43 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I have actually seen my fuel mileage increase. Depending on how you ride it.

Johnto: Welcome to the XIED Club. The temp difference between the IED and XIED aren't a big difference. But the other advantages are quite noticeable.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #44 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser85257 View Post
I have actually seen my fuel mileage increase. Depending on how you ride it.

Johnto: Welcome to the XIED Club. The temp difference between the IED and XIED aren't a big difference. But the other advantages are quite noticeable.
Cruiser, I'm a very happy member of the XiED Club!
My last two tanks averaged 41.5mpg or 5.67litre/100kms. I can't complain.....

I put on the Doherty Powerpacc and IED's the other day....
kslg, I'm interested in the same A/C kit. Where did you get it and how do you compare it with the other products out there (eg. Sreaming Eagle, K&N)?
Any thoughts on it will run with the XiED's, Fullsac Trueduals, and Screaming Eagle slip-ons(2006 version)?
Rinehart Slip-ons
18" Renegade wheel&rotors
Hidden axle kit
KlockWerks 6.5"
[IMG][/IMG]
joi gin
Old 05-16-2008, 11:33 AM   #45 (permalink)
IronButt

I just got back from Myrtle Beach yesterday which is 100 miles @ 70mph each way, plus 40 miles of stop and go, I averaged 42mpg. Before exhaust/Doherty intake/IED's I was between 42-44mpg so I have to assume it didn't change any.

After a week or so of riding, I still notice that I don't have to twist it as much to get rolling or to pass someone. The exhaust sounds a lot sweeter, deeper.

I chose the Doherty intake after doing a bunch of reading. After getting it, I can say with certainty that there can't be a better built one out there. The machining on the thing is incredible- to the point where you would want to hang it on the wall. The velocity stack is also a work of art. Makes every other kit look cheap. I have to assume that the company put as much thought into the performance research, based on reviews that seems to be the case.

Another thing I like is that you can order the breather filter kit from them that stops all the oily air from going back into the engine. It comes with tubes that come from the breather bolts and run into a filter that catches the oil and lets the air through.

I ordered mine from www.krooners.com (good people & prices)- they were the only ones who could get the 2008 FL kit for me, it only ended up being $30. cheaper than ordering it directly from doherty. For previous models that are already listed in the fatbook etc., the cheapest place to order is probably www.zanottimotor.com.

Last edited by kslg; 05-16-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement